Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Recon assembly and first few miles(warning-long post)

Hello to all, just an update.
Yesterday after work with the help of my oldest grandson and my wife and daughter I managed to adjust the valve lash and get to the rolling stage and today my grandson and me finished putting her together while the battery was on charge. we had a few tribulations even after watching Jeff's video getting the right fasteners in the right spot but we got it figured out. there either was one of the side panel screws missing or I lost it and one of the tapped holes in the ignition cover stripped but I will probably just tap it one size up and go on with life. after adjusting the chain and checking the oil we gassed it up and she started right up so I took a short ride and man did I feel like a duck out of water. probably 100 feet from the end of my driveway I hit a sand bed and it was like riding a fish, it felt like the ass end was swimming but I believe it is just my lack of experience and to be honest I was pretty nervous sitting up so high. it rattled me so bad that I didn't even think to stand up. I went about a mile and turned around and came back to the highway and did about a mile total on asphalt. when I got home me and the grandson threw the passenger foot pegs on and headed back away from the highway further into the forest to a road that was in good condition the last time I was on it but as luck would have it we didn't find it in good condition now. we hit a patch that had us looking like a bream in the bottom of a boat, how I kept it up on two wheels is beyond me, the only explanation that I can come up with is that God looks out for children and fools. I guess my grandson has learned a thing or two about balance on the mini bikes because he did everything just right to keep me from dumping us. when I got to where I could I turned us around and stayed on the grassy shoulder back to the intersection and stopped and asked him if he wanted to head home or go the other way, he said the other way so off we went. we rode a short time and when we got home I told him that that scared the crap out of me and he said " that's what makes it fun!"
after my wife left to take him home I went out and just rode circles and figure 8's in 1st gear and started feeling more comfortable with it. I did find out that I am going to have to figure out how to adjust the head lights, they are aimed so high it looks like I am coon hunting. I used my small 1.5 ton floor jack that I keep on my truck last night to get it rolling and without help that would have been perilous so I will either buy a motorcycle jack or a scissor jack and add a bigger foot print and angles across the top, that is what I used for my street bikes and it worked really well, it was just an old truck or car jack. well I guess it is obvious from this that I didn't have the discipline to prepare for the insurance inspector so for probably at least half a day tomorrow that is what I will be doing but hopefully tomorrow afternoon sometime I will get her jacked up so that I can confirm the swimming was me and not the bike and change the oil. I did give the spokes the "ting test" before I rode it but I am going to try to find my spoke wrench and watch some youtube for truing wheels. My shock came in today but after riding it I am not sure if I will lower the bike after all, I can tippy toe both sides and am pretty comfortable keeping my right foot on the peg and holding the bike up with my left when stopping even with my grandson on the back.

over all I am happy with the entire experience except for one of the rear panels was missing the stud and either me or a chinaman lost a side panel screw, the engine runs smooth and quiet, other than being a little hard to get into neutral sometimes it shifts smoothly and I believe the odometer may be lying, it is reading about 14 miles and I don't think we did anywhere near that. I kept the speed to 40 MPH or lower and a max of 5000 RPM according to the gauges.
My grandson's both work for their daddy about 20 hours a week and are in my opinion over paid for what a boy that young should make and the oldest is all pumped up now to buy himself a enduro which I am against because I don't want him on the highway with one and unless things have changes since I was 15 in Florida you can ride a motorcycle on the road with a learners permit. I doubt his parents will let him buy one anyway, they never liked me riding motorcycles. they may let him get a dirt bike though and I can't say that would hurt my feelings and I was wanting to buy them one myself before today.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #2

This is a pretty wholesome post! Regarding your feeling like you’re bream in the bottom of a boat.. I have found the Recon tires are filled up WAY TOO HIGH for off road. Mine were filled to 40PSI which is what is recommended on the sidewall. But if you hit sand or really soft dirt, it feels like your rear end is going to wash out. I dumped it once going around a small curve in my back yard because I hit sand. I dropped the PSI to 18 and it handles it a lot better, but I’m still not 100% confident. Most of my riding will be off-road.

I havent found out how to adjust the headlight yet either. I just noticed mine last night looked pretty high. The high beam especially the was way too high up. There’s probably an easy adjustment, just haven't looked much!

I know what you mean about kids being paid too much by parents. Hopefully they were raised right and understand the value of hard work and their own money. Hard to fault parents, we all want to give kids better than what we had. Good luck with your Recon. I’m loving mine! Only change from stock have been my Pro Taper bars (windham bend). My stock ones bent on my fall, they’re pretty cheap and soft bars, the Pro Tapers seem really nice and are relatively good inexpensive.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Pfft. That was a medium length post.

Sounds like you had a good time with your grandson more than anything. He probably had a blast helping the old timer out doing something that he also loves to do.

His parents are going to have to accept that fact that he is going to have a bike though, and trying to force him out of it is not going to work. Personally, and I am speaking as a person who instructs others how to ride, that this is the perfect time to reinforce good riding habits. Emphasis on proper riding gear, techniques, etc. Especially coming from somebody he loves and respects like Grand dad, it might sink in better.

I know that when I was a young man I latched on and listened to everything my grandpa told me. We might not listen to our fathers all the time, but grandpa? We hung on to that sage wisdom.

As far as the odometer and speedometer go. They will both lie to you. The Odometer especially. Most of the factory units are pretty terrible when it comes to accuracy and they all read high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygritt View Post
Mine were filled to 40PSI which is what is recommended on the sidewall.
That number on the sidewall isn't the recommended pressure, that is the maxiumum rated pressure for the tire.

Recommended tire pressures for most of these bikes is often included in the manual, and the rear pressure will be the one that varies the most based on load. I would only be running 40psi in the rear tire if I were riding on the road two up, aka max load. Otherwise, I would tailor tire pressure based on the individual riding. That could be as low as 26-28psi front and 30-34psi rear for pavement, and then less if taking the dirt path.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
This is a pretty wholesome post! Regarding your feeling like you’re bream in the bottom of a boat.. I have found the Recon tires are filled up WAY TOO HIGH for off road. Mine were filled to 40PSI which is what is recommended on the sidewall. But if you hit sand or really soft dirt, it feels like your rear end is going to wash out. I dumped it once going around a small curve in my back yard because I hit sand. I dropped the PSI to 18 and it handles it a lot better, but I’m still not 100% confident. Most of my riding will be off-road.

I havent found out how to adjust the headlight yet either. I just noticed mine last night looked pretty high. The high beam especially the was way too high up. There’s probably an easy adjustment, just haven't looked much!

I know what you mean about kids being paid too much by parents. Hopefully they were raised right and understand the value of hard work and their own money. Hard to fault parents, we all want to give kids better than what we had. Good luck with your Recon. I’m loving mine! Only change from stock have been my Pro Taper bars (windham bend). My stock ones bent on my fall, they’re pretty cheap and soft bars, the Pro Tapers seem really nice and are relatively good inexpensive.
Thanks Matt, Your right, I meant to check the tire pressure and didn't but will this morning. I have been outside doing my husbandly duty this morning and the Fl. sun is already ripping the hide off of me so after break I probably wont do but another hour in the sun and start on the bike again. if I figure out how to adjust the headlight I will post it here.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Pfft. That was a medium length post.

Sounds like you had a good time with your grandson more than anything. He probably had a blast helping the old timer out doing something that he also loves to do.

His parents are going to have to accept that fact that he is going to have a bike though, and trying to force him out of it is not going to work. Personally, and I am speaking as a person who instructs others how to ride, that this is the perfect time to reinforce good riding habits. Emphasis on proper riding gear, techniques, etc. Especially coming from somebody he loves and respects like Grand dad, it might sink in better.

I know that when I was a young man I latched on and listened to everything my grandpa told me. We might not listen to our fathers all the time, but grandpa? We hung on to that sage wisdom.

As far as the odometer and speedometer go. They will both lie to you. The Odometer especially. Most of the factory units are pretty terrible when it comes to accuracy and they all read high.

That number on the sidewall isn't the recommended pressure, that is the maxiumum rated pressure for the tire.

Recommended tire pressures for most of these bikes is often included in the manual, and the rear pressure will be the one that varies the most based on load. I would only be running 40psi in the rear tire if I were riding on the road two up, aka max load. Otherwise, I would tailor tire pressure based on the individual riding. That could be as low as 26-28psi front and 30-34psi rear for pavement, and then less if taking the dirt path.
Thanks Dan, I think the manual recommended 15 psi for off road but I am going to check again and adjust accordingly. Nothing is better than grandchildren and for me a grandson is the greatest gift I could have ever received, I always wanted a son but didn't have one. I pretty much raised the oldest one, I picked him up almost everyday after work from the time he was a few days old and my wife would drop him off on her way to work the next morning and this when on until about 6th or seventh grade when he got really focused on football and wrestling but I still see him and my other blessings regularly since we only live about 2 miles apart.
My daddy's daddy died when I was 5 and my maternal grandfather didn't care much for young kids so I never developed a hero worship of him but I did always admire his skills as a boat builder, woodworker and hunter and fisherman. They came up dirt poor and hunting and fishing was most of their food source. He could also grow anything anywhere, the house garden took up about an acre and a half, just about all the veggies and chicken I ate growing up was grown by him and we killed 2 hogs a year.
My hero was my Daddy and I guess he still is. He grew up on a tobacco farm with all the freedom a young boy desires and afforded me and my brother that same freedom much to my mothers objections. He was a hands on father when it came to teaching and the penalty for ignoring the lessons was swift and severe but I can honestly say that I earned every ounce and was never unjustly punished. I was fortunate that I never took it personal, I knew he was doing his job. My oldest grandson is the same way, he takes each experience as a lesson and moves forward with no hard feelings and unless he has me fooled he takes them to heart. I could go on all day about my daddy and grand kids but it is only getting hotter out there and you would quickly become bored so I better put this down and get back at it.

You are a great bunch of folks here and I sincerely appreciate all the help and advice that has been so willingly shared.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #6

Matt, you were right, the front tire had so much air in it that it nearly blew my gauge, I must have read somewhere else 15 psi because there is no mention of tire pressure in the book. I have front and rear at 20 and I think I am going to drop them to 15 after riding it yesterday afternoon.

Dan, my oldest grandson came to visit yesterday and drove me to the tax collectors office in grandma's car, on the way he told me he had good news and bad news about getting a dirt bike the good news being he could get one the bad news being as soon as he is 18 and out of his dads house. we will see how that goes. I really can't argue with his dad because he has owned and ridden dirt bikes and knows the risks and while I do think he is a little over protective I know what it is like to worry about an overdue child out on a atv, been there and done that a few times.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #7

So it's the typical parental "Do as I say, not as I do."

Old 05-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
So it's the typical parental "Do as I say, not as I do."
yeah in a sense but he quit riding when the boys where pretty small and sold it probably thinking that they wouldn't remember.

I had my first crash late this afternoon on a pretty bad pig trail, I was coming up out of a deep rut trying to go left and I think when the shoulder broke loose it just pitched the butt end right and down I went. I never touched the brake but it felt like it high sided. nothing hurt on the bike that I can tell except the shift lever bent. I got it bent back good enough by hand to get home and straightened it back to normal with a 12 inch wrench and took off again. adrenaline is a wonderful thing, not much pain in the heat of the moment but my back and left hip are reminding me of my age now. the scary part at that moment was that my left leg had the handle bar come down on the shin bone pretty hard, that was the only pain I felt when it happened but it feels ok now.
there is no cell service down here so I may be looking into an INREACH or SPOT. I would have had to drug myself out of there had I broke a leg because it would take a while for anyone to look there.
even after the crash I am still in good spirits, my confidence is building and I am getting more comfortable with leaning it over and showering down on the throttle to get it stable in the deep sand. I changed the oil today before I rode it and after seeing what came out of it I am sorry I didn't change it before I rode it the first time like I had planned, it looked like oil that has just a little water in it. there was some shavings on the oil plug but I haven't took a magnet to it or strained it yet. I also got my tag and registration today so I am officially legal now !!!

Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:

Matt I did get the headlight lowered some but I am not sure it is a permanent fix. I took the headlight off and found the 2 legs ( one on each side ) with rubber caps had both came out of their holders, getting them back in was a bear and makes me wonder if the bracket doesn't need some modding.
It also seems like the headlight was dimmer. I don't know what kind of bulb is in the headlight bucket but if I go anywhere near a parts store this weekend I am taking the bulb with me to see if I can find an LED replacement. I think the best solution may be a couple of auxiliary lights. I went for a nice ride this morning before the sun got to high, probably a little under 20 miles all but 4 miles of it in the forest. It was a really enjoyable ride except for having to stop and turn around twice to retrieve the left side cover after it fell off. I sent Jeff an email to let him know and am waiting on a response. I thought about drilling some small holes and putting some small machine screws in to hold it but it is a brand new bike and I would like for it to look new for a little while.
Matt if you find anything different please let me know.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
There is a thread in the Video and pics area about adjusting the head light on the Brozz250. 2019 head light adjustment on Brozz 250 page three half way down The guys name is Musictrec. That should be the same for your Recon.
This thread. http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=24439

The Brozz also uses an H4 headlight last I knew. Take your pick of H4 LED lights. I still prefer the fanless ones myself, but everybody has a favorite.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #11

Thanks Jeffrey and Dan, I will check that thread right now while I am thinking of it.