Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #1

the honeymoon is just gettin started!!!

I had a great ride today, a real mixed bag, hard packed dirt, wet slippery red clay, sugar sand and water holes and about 800 yards of asphalt. I am getting more and more comfortable but I wont lie, it was pretty hard to keep poring the coals to her in that slick clay when everything in me said get off the throttle.
I did 35 miles and stopped by a friends house for a glass of water and a few minutes of conversation and told him I had a hard time screwing up the guts to power through the red clay in some spots and he suggested a route around it which turned out to be perfect for a green horn like me, just enough hazard to be exciting but no so much as to make you fear for your life and safety. all in all I would estimate I rode around 80 miles and it was a blast !!!! I was so pumped up I hated to come home but I was racing the afternoon storms so that I could get critters taken care of ahead of it.
The Recon is performing flawlessly so far and for the kind of riding I am doing the gearing is nearly perfect. when I started the engine to leave my friends house I noticed the valves have loosened up some so if I am able I will reset them tomorrow and since my lift arrived today I will give the rolling parts some attention and change the oil again. the only regret I have is that I waited until I am a few months from 60 yrs old to dive in when I have lived my entire life in the middle of a national forest. if we could only go back. one of the mechanics who used to help me with my street bikes was still racing motocross the last time I saw him, he was in his early fifties and stayed busted up all the time, always had a broke something and I thought he was the craziest SOB alive.
Now I understand.
My confidence is building more every time I take the old girl out and today was the first time that I have worn my helmet and it surprised me how much more secure it made me feel, I even slid her around a few curves just like I used to love to do on 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers and trucks.
GOD I WISH I COULD BE YOUNG AGAIN !!!

Old 05-31-2020, 12:35 AM   #2

Sounds like you had a good time. I'm not that young (50s) and I started back dirt biking again. I really want you to wear a full face helmet. A couple of weeks ago I had a crash on a mean mountain trail. Long story short. I fell off a 4 foot cliff and landed face first into a rock surface I had just climbed. Thank goodness I listened to the salesman and bought the snug fitting one. I really think it save my life. Yeah I will still buzz around the yard without one testing. But on the road or on the trails it will be on me or the bike will be parked. Just trust me on this.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:52 AM   #3

I always wear a helmet when I am on a bike regardless of what I am doing. I have seen a skull fracture happen from a person who fell over going maybe 5 or 6 mph. It's not the speed, it's the force and location of the impact. I've crashed at highway speeds and walked away with superficial injuries. I am an ATGATT ambassador.

Sounds like you are having a good time at least, and the Brozz sounds like it was the right pick for you.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-31-2020, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
Sounds like you had a good time. I'm not that young (50s) and I started back dirt biking again. I really want you to wear a full face helmet. A couple of weeks ago I had a crash on a mean mountain trail. Long story short. I fell off a 4 foot cliff and landed face first into a rock surface I had just climbed. Thank goodness I listened to the salesman and bought the snug fitting one. I really think it save my life. Yeah I will still buzz around the yard without one testing. But on the road or on the trails it will be on me or the bike will be parked. Just trust me on this.
I generally do wear a helmet but after I got rid of the street bikes I gave my helmets away thinking I wouldn't need them again and since getting the new helmet I haven't been anywhere but right here close to home But as Dan said that is no excuse, we can fall anywhere and I will be wearing it from here on out.

Dan, the Brozz has been a good pick and I am more and more comfortable with the height, I understand now why folks say to ride a bike awhile before lowering it. when I first got on it I felt like I was sitting on a roof and now I don't even think about it.
what do the letters stand for that you are an ambassador for?
I have to give all of the folks here the credit for any success I have because following the advise on these pages is what has made it possible to progress much faster than I expected. I ain't no Mcgrath and never will be but boy did I feel like one for awhile yesterday!!!
to you all.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Ditch View Post
what do the letters stand for that you are an ambassador for?
A.T.G.A.T.T. just stands for All The Gear All The Time. It means that i wear proper riding gear from head to toe every time I go out riding.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
A.T.G.A.T.T. just stands for All The Gear All The Time. It means that i wear proper riding gear from head to toe every time I go out riding.

Thanks Dan.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #7

So what did you end up getting?? I know just recently you were itching to buy a bike.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDokken View Post
So what did you end up getting?? I know just recently you were itching to buy a bike.
I bought a Brozz Recon and as you can tell I am really liking it.

I still am fishing for a Ice Bear though, my wife is interested enough that I have her asking questions but so far only a nibble. I may break down and buy it myself. I offered to pay half so I am going to give her a few to chew on it while I exclaim of all the fun I am having on the recon.

I bought the recon because I thought that I needed more than the ice bear to get enough speed to satisfy me but now that I have it I am sure the ice bear would have been plenty of bike for me, I don't need anything to do jumps or wheelies on and my average speed has been around 40 MPH.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:

I still am fishing for a Ice Bear though, my wife is interested enough that I have her asking questions but so far only a nibble. I may break down and buy it myself. I offered to pay half so I am going to give her a few to chew on it while I exclaim of all the fun I am having on the recon.

I bought the recon because I thought that I needed more than the ice bear to get enough speed to satisfy me but now that I have it I am sure the ice bear would have been plenty of bike for me, I don't need anything to do jumps or wheelies on and my average speed has been around 40 MPH.
You could always gear down the recon with a smaller front or bigger rear sprocket for better torque off road to sacrifice some of the top speed if you don't need it. A 15 tooth front with the stock rear sprocket would be close to what the gearing is like on a stock Hawk.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:

I fully support buying multiple bikes to suit multiple needs.