Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #1

X31 post creek swim

So back in May I took my bike for an accidental swim in a creek. The damn think ran still with mud right though the carb, valves and out the exhaust unbelievably.

I tore it all apart. Wire brushed and polished the valves and seats myself. Used my machinist skills. Replaces the valve seals with crf230 seals. And reset the valves in the seats. To do this is used a sharpie, found where they made the most even contact with seats, and installed the valves in said orientation. Once installed, I used a brass punch, and gave each valve a firm tap into the seat. I had done this in the past in the machine shop to give other types of valves a helping hand seating. Checked the valve seat seal by pouring gasoline into the intake and exhaust, and seeing if it seeped through the valves. It did not.

There was mud baked on my old piston. Cylinder was good, gave it a quick home and measured it top, middle and bottom. It was all even. With a new piston, and rings, which I installed dry, and 120 degrees off from eachother. Ran the engine dry briefly so the rings would set. My compression is now over 170. That's with 3 layers in the head gasket. I could have removed one but I wanted to see how it was first.

Ran the bike for a couple hours today, reset the valve clearances and she's good to go, no smoke.

Last edited by Yeg.chrisc; 06-18-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Forgot a step