Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #1

Hawk 250 - Hydraulic Brake Switch

Would someone post some close-up photos of how they installed their Hydraulic Brake Switch onto a Hawk?

I recently bent the rear brake pedal while off-roading and replaced the pedal with the CSC part, which I've already reinstalled. It fit great, just had to adjust that screw downward a bit to make sure the rear pedal stopped in the correct position.

I'd like to pull the prone-to-failure brake switch and install the Hydraulic version, 1.25x10mm. The hydraulic switch arrived in the mail today so I have it ready to go.

It looks fairly straight-forward but I want to make sure I install it correctly with the washers in the correct locations. Thanks!
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 06-25-2020, 11:55 PM   #2

Bolt it in like the Banjo bolt and connect the 2 wire.
Job done
Oh bleed brakes
No video nothing else needed.
It is just a bolt with switch so goes in just the same idea etc.

washers are seals - 1 top 1 bottom like the bolt it replaces

Old 06-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips! I wired it up and used the existing washers that were on the old banjo bolt. I ended up soldering the hydraulic switch to the Hawk connector so it's plug & play. Didn't even have to remove the seat to connect it up to the existing wire connector.

The new hydraulic switch works perfectly when the rear brake pedal is depressed. No issues.
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Old 06-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #4

Figured I'd post some photos of the hydraulic brake switch and brake pedal replacement for reference.

As many know, the stock rear brake pedal config on the Hawk 250 has its share of issues, most of them easily fixed with minor parts at minimal cost. The brake pedal bends easily from a strike, right-side tip-over, or from general offroading where the pedal might come into contact with a rock or other obstruction (which is what happened in my case). Replacement is relatively easy and inexpensive - either use a vise and bend the pedal back if it's not twisted up too terribly, or buy a replacement rear brake pedal. CSC Motorcycles sells the rear brake pedal for about $19 plus shipping - https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/TT2...p/zt18-101.htm

Bolt upgrade for rear brake adjuster - stainless steel 1/4" x 1.5" bolt w/nylock nut and 2 stainless 1/4" washers. Easy upgrade, not as failure-prone as the stock parts. This is a quick and inexpensive upgrade...will definitely not just "pop off" on a ride like the stock cotter pin.

Hydraulic brake switch - remove old banjo bolt and washers, install new banjo bolt from hydraulic switch and reuse the stock washers for the easiest install. The switch runs about $15 (can easily find on eBay, etc...just search for Banjo Bolt hydraulic brake switch 10mm x 1.25mm in order to find the correct size) and the size is 10mm x 1.25mm. The switch cable can be soldered to the connector from the OLD brake switch for quick plug & play results, otherwise you'll need to remove the seat to install the plugs into the rear wiring harness underneath the seat. Dime City Cycles (I've had good experiences ordering from them and their customer service is great) sells the switch for $15.98 plus shipping - https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ke-switch.html

New brake pedal installed - this is the pedal from CSC motorcycles for the TT-250. Drop-in fit for the stock Hawk 250 rear brake pedal with some minor differences. There is no predrilled hole for the brake switch spring, so either drill one or install a hydraulic brake switch and never worry about it again. The rear brake master cylinder adjuster needs to be adjusted as well. As you can see from the photo, mine is nearly shortened all the way, otherwise the pedal won't pump the rear brake properly. This is because the CSC brake pedal has a slight shape difference from the stock Hawk 250 pedal, and the adjuster needs to be shortened for the rear brake to work properly.
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Last edited by ChrisWNY; 06-28-2020 at 05:05 PM.