Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

supermach crt125cc spindle\steering knuckle

i rolled my kids quad. i know, dont drink and drive lol. where the tie tod connects to the spindle, there is a plate welded on with a hole for the tie rod end. that bent and i fixed it with a hammer. seems ok, but im afraid i weakened the weld and want to replace it. my dilema is this. directly on the other side, there is another plate welded on that fits into a slot on the rear of the drum brake, essentially holding it in place. when you disconnect the tie rod, and take off wheel center bolt, the whole drum comes right off. would it stay in place without that extra plate? regardless,
i searched long and hard online and haven't seen anything close to similar. if i cant find this, which would suck because its a 2019 make and parts shouldnt be that hard to find,...what next? can i get new spindles for the front 2 tires and get new wheels with a different drum setup? i'm not a mechanic. but im a carpenter and very mechanically inclined. i can figure shit out quick or learn how to do it. kids 1st quad. just added 2 inch wheel spacers. can tune a carb somewhat. do basic repairs. but this one stumps me somewhat. its my first chinese quad, so i'll probably be here a lot looking for advice. i appreciate any response at all thanks. Name:  20200628_071753.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  20200628_092251.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  20200628_094900.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  95.3 KB

Old 06-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #2

also, would i need new a arms with balljoint? i bought the atv from powersports max and requested the part yesterday. havent heard back yet. but they were quick to ship under warranty a new brake handle\throttle assembly.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #3

Did a quick search and couldn't find the exact spindle also. How much was it bent 90 degrees? I would take the spindle of and make sure the tie rod plate is straight, so the steering won't be off and call it a day. Yes you need the other plate it holds the drum in place. Giving that the spindle are inexpensive and it's your son's quad I would change it out eventually.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #4

it had a pretty good 45 degree bend in it, curled upwards. am i correct in saying ill need 2 new\different style spindles? as well as new drums and wheel hubs to match my tires.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythunder1968 View Post
it had a pretty good 45 degree bend in it, curled upwards. am i correct in saying ill need 2 new\different style spindles? as well as new drums and wheel hubs to match my tires.
I would just wait for powersports to reply and go through them to get a replacement spindle. I would use it with confidence until i was able to get a replacement. To much trouble to swap out the front end with other parts, go with what is known to work.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #6

the part that bent was at the end where the tie rod connects, not at the weld. its pretty thick steel and i got it pretty straight with a hammer. been a few days and powersports as well as supermach havent responded. i check it everytime he rides. and ive beat on it doin donuts in the dirt. tie rod is good and steering is ok. hopefully i didnt compromise the weld. i dont think i did. not like i let my 10 year old do 30 down main roads or any pavement. we ride the tracks and trails we made in the fields by my work. eventually hes gonna wanna speed up a little on the only street hes allowed on which is a quiet deadend where i work. next year if its still running ill get a whole new setup for the front end. new spindles,hubs and drums. ` if he was 14 and doing 35 on streets i would do that now. thanks for the input. much appreciated.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #7

Because that entire assembly appears to be welded ,fabricated piece ,no cast iron ,means it can easily be welded again unlike if it was a cast part .Run it ,check it often for the first little while ,then stay off of it and let the kid enjoy it .If the weld cracks ,it can be rewelded

Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #8

look what i found https://coolster.com/product/spindle...-11-mgm-da004/ now i know i can order new part if needed. but quick question. i see alot of drums with a slot on the side to accept a holder/bracket off spindle like mine is. and i see alot of spindles with a flat plate to sit in the backside of drum, but they are on the same side the tierod connects to. just for my own knowledge, say i bought a spindle with holder plate on same side as tierod. could i spin the drum so the notched out part lines up with new spindle? right now the notch on the drum is oppossite of tierod. just curious. thanks.