Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

TBR7 Cruiser Modifications ?

I am planning a 2000 mile ride across the Northern African coast on paved roads. I am looking for suggestions of modifcations that would make my 2020 TBR7 a more comfortable "crusier".

the itinerary is to ride about 4 hours a day with average speeds of 45-50 MPH, so any suggestions to make it smoother or more comfortable are being considered. I have done the typical mods, sprockets, carb, spark plug & chain.

I thought I would see if anyone has suggestions to turn my bike into more of a cruiser for a smoother ride. Getting another bike is not an option, this one is perfect for my mission. Any upgrade is being considered.

I added a USB port for my phone and have the appropriate bags, but modifcation ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Last edited by dhilbish; 07-20-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #2

Get some street tires, and balance them. Also figure out what RPM range it likes to run smoothest at, and then gear it so your anticipated speed will fall around that range. Also, the more mileage you put on them, the smoother they tend to get, so I would run it a bit. You can also put some rubber hose inside the handlebars, that helps with the vibes. A cut up inner tube tied around the foot pegs helps too.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

2k i like it.

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 07-21-2020, 02:23 AM   #4

Start taking longer rides more frequently to get your ass prepared for it. Trust me, it doesn't matter how comfy that seat can be made, endless hours in the saddle WILL make your hind quarters hurt. That said, a good seat cover can definitely help.

Want to kill a lot of vibes, then put on actual road tires for the trip. You would be impressed at how much vibration off road tires cause. At the very least, a 90/10 or 80/20 tire similar to the Shinko 705.

If you have bigger hands like I do, a set of grip puppies can definitely help not only with hand fatique, but also really kill a lot of vibrations going to your hands. https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Co...0859ZJXVM?th=1

A cramp buster is always a good idea, or some form of throttle lock.

Have some form of rain protection, even a simple poncho is better than nothing. Nothing is more miserable than being soaked to the bone
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-21-2020, 03:40 AM   #5

Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #6

I am based in Chicago and shipping my bike to Casablanca, Morocco.

TL;DR I bought a TBR7 becuase it was cheap and shipping the bike is also "reasonably" cheap. I have built the bike in Chicago and tested it so I have a known quantity, then customized it to my satisfaction. I got the fun of building the bike and riding it for a while and then will enjoy the trip with a bike I know inside and out.

I am riding through 5 countires and I will sell it at the end of the trip. A rental was obviously not an option and buying a bike there left me with trying to do a ride on a very unknown bike.

No matter what I get for the bike, the trip works becuase the TBR7 is so cheap. It basically "disposable' for my adventure. I am enjoying it so much, I will be buying another when I get back. Shipping it back is almost impossible becuase getting the packing material is an issue in the last country plus the added shipping cost. This was the best solution I could come up with and I am off to Africa as soon as travel is safe and avaiable.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhilbish View Post

TL;DR I bought a TBR7 becuase it was cheap and shipping the bike is also "reasonably" cheap. I have built the bike in Chicago and tested it so I have a known quantity, then customized it to my satisfaction. I got the fun of building the bike and riding it for a while and then will enjoy the trip with a bike I know inside and out.

I am riding through 5 countires and I will sell it at the end of the trip. A rental was obviously not an option and buying a bike there left me with trying to do a ride on a very unknown bike.

No matter what I get for the bike, the trip works becuase the TBR7 is so cheap. It basically "disposable' for my adventure. I am enjoying it so much, I will be buying another when I get back. Shipping it back is almost impossible becuase getting the packing material is an issue in the last country plus the added shipping cost. This was the best solution I could come up with and I am off to Africa as soon as travel is safe and avaiable.
what spare parts are you planning on bringing with you?
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #8

Tubes, patches, CDI, voltage regulator, a bit of wire and a multimeter, maybe a section of chain and a chain breaker, [zip ties, duct tape WD-40] not much I can't fix with those. A good set of tools; I have been doing all work and upgrades on the bike from my roll toolbag. Any other suggestions are helpful here also?

Old 07-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Tubes, patches, CDI, voltage regulator, a bit of wire and a multimeter, maybe a section of chain and a chain breaker, [zip ties, duct tape WD-40] not much I can't fix with those. A good set of tools; I have been doing all work and upgrades on the bike from my roll toolbag. Any other suggestions are helpful here also?
Don't forget tire spoons to fix a flat.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #10

I think the stock TBR tires will be perfect for the trip. I found them smooth on the tarmac and ok in dirt or hard pack but miserable in any kind of mud.

If it were my bike doing the trip here is my list:

Upgrade the inner tubes before you leave and take the stock ones as spares.

Get a fork brace fitted/made

Tighten the spokes and see if you can get the wheels balanced, take spare spokes and a spoke wrench.

Gearing 17 front and stock rear will cover your speed needs but allow for a bit of technical riding if needed if you get forced on to dirt tracks or sand or just want to explore off the beaten path.

Not sure on the time of year or temps involved but consider an aux oil cooler as it gives extra oil capacity as well.

Different set of mirrors and a good set of hand guards that can take a light tip over (stock ones not good enough).

A foldable gear shift lever , keep the stock one as spare.

If you have not done it yet re-jet the carb or get replacement jetted for sea level.

Take a spare front brake m/cyl assembly with lever and spare clutch lever and perch (people often carry spare levers but often the mount area breaks too?)

Ride safe and enjoy
Are you doing the trip solo?

Paul

Old 07-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:

Put in your order for the new bike now... it'll probably be a bit of a wait. By the time you get back, it may be ready to ship.