Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #1

Chain lubricant

What's a good chain lube to use on an offroad atv that's not too expensive?Haven't made up my mind yet as to whether I'm going to take the chain off and do it good or just try to lube it up while still on the atv.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #2

I took it off,first I had to take the chain guard off, and then put it in a container just a little bigger than the coil of chain and poured gear oil on it till it was completely covered and let it sit for a few hours,then I took it out and hung it up to let all the gear oil drip off.I was hoping the chain had stretched enough to take the half link out but it had not.
I'm going to see if I can find a good affordable,sprayable chain lube,something that won't get slung off.PB Blaster make's a chain lubricant that's not too pricey,might try that.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

No need to remove a chain just to lube it. 80w90 gear oil will do fine, even any engine oil is better than nothing. There's an ever ongoing battle whether or not penetrating lubricants like WD40 will or will not ruin your chain, not taking sides there other than haven't tried just to be sure. Just remember to wipe off excess oil after thoroughly lubing the chain as otherwise it'll fling off making a huge mess and the wet chain will gather dust more easily. A thin film is quite enough, the regular cleaning is IMO more important and will come as a side benefit from wiping the chain dry(ish)
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 07-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #4

I did wipe it off with a shop rag after letting it hang for a while.Put on a pair of disposable gloves and done it.Some of the exotic chain lubes are rather expensive for just a few ounces.They might be good but for what they cost you could probably just buy a new chain,lol

Old 07-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #5

ive used 3in1 oil on my now sold ct100u. figured anything was better than rust. never had an issue. its only a chain. figured it was a cheap and easy fix if i ruined it.