Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #1

tt250 rear shock pressure range

what kind of pressure should the rear shock be under? is there a range for weight? thoughts in general?

apologies if its super obvious and ive missed it, but I understand it adjustable with air pressure but I found nothing in the manual on it

Old 11-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

We meet again!

Same, I had questions about that as well. I have a Nitrogen filled rear shock / piston. Can't find anything in my book about it - and of course I don't have facebook so I can't exactly see what others suggest.

I have a shraeder(sp?) valve I could add / remove pressure.. but no idea what is nominal for that piston. Have read somewhere that the Nitrogen pistons are over 100psi, depending on size I'm assuming. I'm still looking myself. I'll let you know if I find anything!

Old 11-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #3

Okay, so I found some stuff here..

I think I'm going to just leave mine alone. Seems to be that - if you do release any pressure, just a little.. then you have to take it somewhere to have pure Nitrogen put back in. Or rebuilt.. Unless you have a way of doing it yourself.

I was wanting to know if I could adjust my compression rate but - definitely not. Seems that a few have stated around 175psi of pure Nitrogen. Apparently if you just use an air compressor pushing Oxygen in the mix, then you can blow the piston. The pressure, oil, and Oxygen mix and - boom.. Likeliness that that would happen? No idea - not going to risk having a piston shoved up my butt!

Are you needing a rebuild / pressurization? Many have strongly suggested against even messing with the Schrader valve; and that a fraction of a second could release up to 25psi. I'm not verifying this nor trying but - seems pretty darn unsafe to mess with that Nitrogen piston. I did replace my Schrader valve cover with a rubber seal cover - no idea if that will do anything... matches the tire valves though

As for the manual, it may not state because it's a 'sealed system'. One argued the point of the valve but - that's for maintenance. Apparently not 'adjustable' as one like myself would assume. A bit misleading, but after some research I know now that it's not adjustable, a set pressure, and Nitrogen only; and this was found through many other sources as well. There ARE adjustable setups - there was one on my GS650. Separate Nitrogen reservoir; but there was a reason. Stiffen up for street, loosen up for dirt. That bike was also a significant step up in all respects. I'm not sure that the piston on these bikes would be as adaptable to put an adjustable tank on. I thought maybe there was something missing on mine, or an accessory of sorts to change up / down. The only adjustment I have is the spring - no clickers; even for the front fork.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #4

plump kibbles got it !

THANKS MUCCH

i really assumed this was something we had to adjust. But I get it now, ride it until its shot/needs rebuild.

ME no touch

Old 11-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

I assume the reason for this inquiry is that it rides somewhat hard? I haven't adjusted the shock yet, but I expect at least changing the settings may improve your ride quality somewhat, but perhaps not much.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by motochutuya View Post
plump kibbles got it !

THANKS MUCCH

i really assumed this was something we had to adjust. But I get it now, ride it until its shot/needs rebuild.

ME no touch
No worries! If there's something that might be adjusted - I'm the guy to find out either the hard way, or though others experience / personal meddling lol

Danfandagno - yeah if it's anything like my rear shock, the compression rate is a little high. Nice if you're launching off hills! Did that a few times; probably won't anymore.. probably why my rear was so wobbly lol

I have my rear spring 'nuts' around half way tight on the threads, I'm only about 170lb so it's springy with me on it anyway. I do see a nice adjustable rear in the future though

You could go pretty loose without going out of your sag spec honestly; kind of sponge it out a little.