Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

adjusting F-N-R transmission?

Got all three of the 125d's assembled. Is there a way to adjust the F-N-R shifting on the transmission? One of the three isn't as crisp as the others. It sometimes takes 2-3 pushes of the lever to change from R-N or D-N. Once in neutral it will go into gear ok.

-J

Old 01-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #2

From your previous posts, I know you are mechanically inclined... but, for posterity (for the next guy needing to solve this...):
- linkage not binding?
- engine idle is not too high that the clutch stays slightly engaged, binding the gearbox?
- clutch itself is not 'sticking', will not disengage cleanly? (I can't imagine how... debris, oil/grease on shoes/drum?) (disassembly required)
- 'gear box' doesn't have any burrs in it? all gears are smooth edged and slide nicely in their tracks? (major disassembly required)

I recall a YT video where they adjusted the engagement point? of an 'auto-clutch' on a kids dirt bike. There was a centre screw they adjusted to 'loosen' it up.

add the "https://" in front of this... youtu.be/twJSov_w7Lo
(trying to prevent the video from embedding in this post)

Now, this was for a 1-2-3 kind of foot shifter, but it very likely is the same engine in your ATV? (my daughter's Tao 110 DB14 is a 1-2-3... BACKWARDS to a motorcycle! how annoying to shift!... but still wicked fun to abuse!) I bet they used that same DB14 engine in your ATV, just no gear shift lever (at the very least)... gearbox aside... they likely used the same auto-clutch assembly. And, pictures of the DB14 show that same kind of screw in the middle of the clutch housing. Long story short... maybe you can loosen up that clutch a bit, and ease shifting binding?

G'luck!

Last edited by Sponge1971; 01-03-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: remove YT video embed

Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 PM   #3

interesting. i'll definitely take a look. Thanks!