Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #1

She's here!!!

But something is wrong, seems way down on power. I maxed out at 35 MPH with WOT IN 4th gear. Engine bogs really bad at high revs.

Chokes off (I think, in the full down position)

Adjusted set screw till idle RPM was 1500 (ish)

Adjusted valves (im almost positive I was at TDC not 180° wrong)

I haven't ordered a mikuni carb or jet kit yet, was told brozz came pretty well set up

Any ideas? Or more accurately, who can tell me first how I screwed up ... lol

P.S. I don't have lock nuts on top of valve adjustment nut, video i watched showed 2 nuts on top

Sorry no pics, size is wrong, ill edit and post em soon

PS. My valve adjusters only had 1 nut, the video I saw had a lock nut on top

Last edited by Oldwolf; 02-20-2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added PS

Old 02-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #2

There is only one nut for the valve adjustment. How does it idle? Smoothly? Are there any restrictions in the airbox or the muffler? How does the spark plug look? Is the choke stuck on?

Check the choke first.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

You need to hold the adjustment screw stationary when tighting the lock nut, I would think a valve was to tight ,and not closing completely you would have a time to get it to start. If you are in doubt about valve adjustment, I would pull the cover,and do it again. If you are in doubt about being on TDC adjustment the intake when the exhaust is open,and vice versa. The cam only turns at half the rate of the crank, so you may have been 180 degrees off on your timing marks. I don't know if that would matter on valve adjustment of this motor, but I figured I would mention it.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #4

Seems to idle ok, especially after it warmed up.
Looks like I totally screwed the valves, ill do it right in the morning and update.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #5

Sorry to hear of your troubles, guessing in line with others that it's the valves set wrong. When new you should be able to easily get past 60mph on the speedo. And your choke position is full off when all the way down so that's not the issue.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #6

How are you operating the choke? If the valves were way too tight or loose, it wouldn't idle well. Sometimes the choke has been confusing for people in the past. Look at the simple stuff first before the difficult stuff.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:44 PM   #7

It actually sounds like you are starving for gas. Is there a chance you have your petcock in between open, and shut? Pull the fuel line, and see if you get a nice heavy stream. Are you sure of the quality ,age,and cleanliness of your gas ? I would still re adjust your valves just to be sure the lock nuts are in place,and snug. It's hard to explain,but if you crank it wide open,and just get a flat whaaah sound ,then I"d say you are starving for gas. Usually if you're rich you will get black exhaust smoke. My Dad used to hold a dollar bill close to the exhaust pipe on cars, and somehow tell if it may have a valve that wasn't properly seating. Probably wouldn't work with a one cylinder motor though. I'm sure you will get it figured out. I hope you enjoy your new bike.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #8

Thanks for all yalls input! I hadn't tightened the lock nuts enough and my valves backed way out.
They're tight now, and she runs like a scalded dog!!!

Old 02-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwolf View Post
Thanks for all yalls input! I hadn't tightened the lock nuts enough and my valves backed way out.
They're tight now, and she runs like a scalded dog!!!
Do some performance mods in the future and turn that scalded dog into a raped ape

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #10

I'm glad you got your issue taken care of. I am chomping at the bit to receive mine. I knew when I ordered it in the first week of this month that It wouldn't ship till after the 15th, and Peace did get it shipped the day after Jeff returned . We have had pretty icy travel conditions in this part of the country, but my bike did make it to Charleston WV Friday, and the woman from Estes who I spoke to on the phone said they turned it over to another carrier for home delivery. They will be contacting me to schedule delivery. I hope it's delivered sometime in the next couple of days, so I can get it titled,and registered in time for nice weather.