Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #1

Killswitch Question

So many of you might already know, but for those who do not, the Brozz 250 comes without an engine killswitch and in it's place they added hazard lights. As far as I know an engine killswitch is required to pass inspection in NY so I went ahead and got a replacement switch.

I ordered This Starter/Kill Switch and it arrived today.

I had to cut my wiring and solder in the new starter switch and I can say it was definitely out of my comfort zone, but everything is really neat and clean, also working great. I no longer have hazard lights but the bike is starting up good.

Now my issue is that I have no idea where to hook up the green and b/w wires for the killswitch. I was assuming that I could splice them into the green and b/w wires coming from the ignition switch, but I am too nervous to experiment. This was a correct assumption...

If anyone knows how to go about doing this, please let me know. I am so close to having this one buttoned up.

Here are some pics.

This is the new switch. No more hazard lights.

These are the only two wires coming from the kill switch.

This is where the cables from the ignition switch plugs in.

Pulled the Orange, Grey, and Light Blue Wires from Plug.

Spliced in new starter switch.

Everything has been shrink-wrapped well.

Thank you in advance, I am sure this is a pretty simple task, but I've never done it and not getting the best of answers on youtube.

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Last edited by idle_purr; 04-02-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:14 PM   #2

Thanks, I will give it a try in the morning with some displacement connectors and post back.

I did unplug the alarm but kept the black/white and green cables plugged in, so the bike would continue to shut off.

~idle_purr

Last edited by idle_purr; 03-31-2021 at 10:47 PM.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:10 PM   #3

that's the same as mine, I thought it was a green wire but you're right. I still have mine connected. The bike starts and shuts off fine, just gotta get the kill switch working I am really hoping not to have to remove my seat again, it was a challenge getting it back on the other day. Wish I took a pic of everything then.

~idle_purr

Old 04-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #4

wish i saw this sooner.... NY does not require a kill switch.... check this out.. if you got all the boxes here checked, you will pass... https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529b.pdf

Old 04-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. I personally wanted the killswitch, so in the end I am still happy. I am about to go tinker with it.

~idle_purr

Old 04-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #6

If it had an AC CDI you can hook a wire directly to the black and white wire on the CDI.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #7

I went out and hooked the switch up. I ran the green wire from the kill switch to the green wire coming off of the key switch. I also ran the black and white wire from the kill switch to the black and white wire coming from the key switch.

The bike started up and would not kill when pressing the switch. It also blew the fuse...

Not sure where to go from here, I used displacement connectors when hooking up the kill switch and I am not even sure they made a connection.

Also not sure what caused my fuse to blow.

~idle_purr

Old 04-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

I'm not sure if the Brozz is AC like the Hawk or DC like my Dong Fangs. If it's DC that would explain a blown fuss. DC CDI does not have a kill wire. Do you have 5 or 6 wires coming from the CDI?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-01-2021, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I'm not sure if the Brozz is AC like the Hawk or DC like my Dong Fangs. If it's DC that would explain a blown fuss. DC CDI does not have a kill wire. Do you have 5 or 6 wires coming from the CDI?
Looks as if there are only 4

I was following along with this thread, but still seem to have struck out.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...945#post320945

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
When you get your kill switch hooked up and the switch don`t work and you still have the two wires plugged into the alarm, you need to unplug them from the box and plug them together. One is male the other is female plug those two together.

I missed this comment, I will take the seat off and take pics.

I have to say I am really regretting getting the Brozz over the Hawk. Not that I mind tinkering with things, but taking the seat on and off is really getting to be a major pain in the ass. Just working on the two bikes I can say the Hawk was better thought out.

On a positive note, it's experience gained...

~idle_purr

Last edited by idle_purr; 04-01-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #10

There is an easier work around for the Brozz seat. Next time you take it off, just trim back some of the fender plastic to allow for easier access to the nuts with a dremel cut off wheel. Then go get yourself two wimgnuts that match the original nut size.
Next time you remove the seat, you can just reach up with your hand and loosen the wingnuts.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #11

It blew the fuse because somewhere you created a direct short. Just to clarify, when you unhooked the alarm, you plugged the two black/white wires together?
I suspect that one of the green wires you hooked up to another green isn't actually a ground. It is probably a green wire with colored stripe that is in reality powered or hot going straight to a ground.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_purr View Post
Looks as if there are only 4

I was following along with this thread, but still seem to have struck out.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...945#post320945

I missed this comment, I will take the seat off and take pics.

I have to say I am really regretting getting the Brozz over the Hawk. Not that I mind tinkering with things, but taking the seat on and off is really getting to be a major pain in the ass. Just working on the two bikes I can say the Hawk was better thought out.

On a positive note, it's experience gained...
Take a 3/4” wood drill bit and drill out two holes on the black mud flap directly under the bolts for the seat. Get a 1/4 inch long extension and a deep well 10mm socket. Makes removing the seat easy and still retains most of the mud flap. I did this on three bikes.
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Old 04-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
It blew the fuse because somewhere you created a direct short. Just to clarify, when you unhooked the alarm, you plugged the two black/white wires together?
I suspect that one of the green wires you hooked up to another green isn't actually a ground. It is probably a green wire with colored stripe that is in reality powered or hot going straight to a ground.
I left the two black wires plugged into the box. I will connect them today and try again. I grabbed a 5 pack of fuses lol.

Thanks for the rear fender hack guys, I might skip that this time around because this should hopefully be the last time I need to take the seat off for a long time.

I have had to take it off a couple of times already, once was to unplug the alarm/remote start, the 2nd was when I put my seat cover on, and this time for the 2 black wires, I could see having to take it off again in the future to change or adjust seat covers...

Taking the fender off isn't too bad since it's only 4 bolts, but for me lining the seat up when putting it back on is where I have the trouble, and if it's not lined up correctly the seat jockys around.

It's just another overcomplicated aspect of the Brozz where the seat on the Hawk just pops into place and has the bolts on the side. I do still love my Brozz though, don't get me wrong, maybe I should stop comparing bikes and just know that I will get my Brozz to where I want it to be.

~idle_purr

Last edited by idle_purr; 04-02-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #14

Make a deal with Grandpa! To the HB!

Old 04-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Make a deal with Grandpa! To the HB!
Haha my grandpa gave the hawk to my dad. My dad did make the offer to trade, but I love my Brozz too much. It's just been a learning curve but with the help of this forum everything always seems to work out.

I did get it working 100%

It was as simple as plugging in the two wires that went into the remote starter box.

Thank you everyone
for the help, this one is now officially in the history books.
My bike no longer has the hazards hooked up and now has a killswitch. Now I can look cool killing the engine when I roll into driveways in neutral. lol, and I can look dumb when I forget to turn my key off and drain my battery.

~idle_purr

Last edited by idle_purr; 04-02-2021 at 05:48 PM.