Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #1

Inaccurate speedo reading

Most of these chinese enduro bikes come with a 21" front wheel but mine came with a 19" (and 17" rear) and I think that's why my speedometer reads a higher speed consistently.
Does anyone know if there is a specific speedo gearbox (where the speedo cable connects) for a 19" front wheel?

Old 07-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

They are not cable operated. They have what I assume is a magnetic pick up . I seen on a Facebook sight that I was on were a guy bought a device to correct his reading, but I think it was fairly high. I was carrying my phone on mine to watch a GPS speed app, but now I just figure if the speed limit is 35 , I can run 38 ,or 40 on my Speedo . 45 GPS is about 50 on my SpeedO, and I usually run about 62,or 63 according to my SpeedO for a true 55mph.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

If that was a mechanical speedo, getting a compatible one (right notching for the forks, right diameter for the front axle, correct type of core, matching your existing speedo cable's length and termination etc.) PLUS with the proper gear ratio may be next to impossible.

If however it already uses a magnetic pickup, there are bicycle speedos that can be adjusted to a specific wheel diameter. Most of them have sufficient wheel size and speed ranges to cover typical dual-sport setups and achievable speeds (I tested one up to 150 km/h with a drill, so plenty enough for a 200-250cc dual sport with < 20 HP).

Old 07-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #4

I own 3 motorcycles, 2 automobiles and a pickup truck. All of their speedometers read 3 to 5 mph faster than actual speed. While a precise speedo would be nice, they are apparently quite rare...

Old 07-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #5

Well, there's a difference between the factory-built (positive) inaccuracy that all speedos need to have (it's illegal for them to show you less than your actual speed, so they all err on the side of caution, saving you speed tickets), and a systematic inaccuracy caused by installing wheels of different diameter, or by missing teeth in the speedo gears at any point (ask me how I know the latter ).

The main difference is that the latter also affects the odometer reading by whatever % you're off on the overall resulting gearing, while the former geneally affects only your indicated speed.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:51 AM   #6

99% of the cars and motorcycles that made for road use have inaccurate readings

That's why people use a GPS for actual speed reading instead of the speedo.. Speedos are liars, but they tells lies on the safe.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-a...r-speedometer/

Tags
speedometer