Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #1

Best 230 crate motor?

Want to buy a 230cc (169fmm)motor for my honda frame..any suggestion? On the alibaba.com i only was able to find the shineray..is it good enough?

Old 09-05-2021, 07:11 PM   #2

zongshen 230-250cc engines are 400-800$ USD usually but are hard to find now a days even online through the pandemic

Equivalent in size to crf 230 engines

-Zong db36 233cc engine w/ titanium valves, ported exh.
-WizeCo 11:1 piston
-CRF230 Athena big bore cylinder
-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-HF K&N Pod Filter and intake
-1/4 fuel lines and valves w/ plastic tank
-HR handle bars and MX pully controls
-CRF230 SHOWA fork
-Oversized MX brakes & rotors
-17T 46T (3.07 Gear ratio) JT Sprockets with a D.I.D gold MX chain
-Keihin pwk30 30mm carburetor 115main/35pilot

Old 09-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #3

Most are very similar. I don't think there really is a 'bad' Chinese vertical thumper considering a few niche brands like Janus and a Portugese dirt bike company whose name eludes me use Zongshen engines in their bikes. You have seen XLsior's (I think that is his handle) thread on his repowering an old Honda XL185 in Australia using a common Chinese thumper?

This is the thread and should help you out with details on such a swap. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=27213

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

They're pretty easy to find on eBay as of recently... The 169FMM is a true 250, they tend to cost more.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #5

The true 250 should be the 172 fmm 3-a but it is larger than the 223 (169fmm)
I saw the xcelsior thread..but he used the pushrod engine not the ohc

Old 09-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Most are very similar. I don't think there really is a 'bad' Chinese vertical thumper considering a few niche brands like Janus and a Portugese dirt bike company whose name eludes me use Zongshen engines in their bikes. You have seen XLsior's (I think that is his handle) thread on his repowering an old Honda XL185 in Australia using a common Chinese thumper?

This is the thread and should help you out with details on such a swap. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=27213

Thanks for shout out cuclune. I named the bike XLsior a play on 'Excelsior' which is Latin for "higher, loftier, more elevated." Not really my handle as such, the bikes more of a member to the forum I'm just along for the ride.

I will just say that I found my CG250 on an online used marketplace for $80AUD mostly complete but in a basket. had to repair the starter and replace piston/rings and sprocket cover...

These engines are in a plethora of chinese diirt bikes that get thrashed and chucked out...but I'd bet the engines are still goood so looking for a well worn used dirt bike might be better value prospect for re-powewring and old Honda frame.

Depending on the frame I can't guarantee all chonda engines will just swish right in either. Took a gamble on the CG250 in an XL185 frame thankfully it worked but it took some massaging.

In my case a 200cc might have been the better direct swap...but where's the fun in that.

If I was to pick a crate fresh engine i'd probably go an Loncin RE 250 6 speed. But the counter balance would not fit with my bash plate.

Last edited by XLsior; 09-07-2021 at 12:09 AM.