Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
There are a number of different approaches to maintenance. It is not an exact science, with only one correct way to do things. And anyway, overkill beats neglect.

Can't you just agree to disagree, without being disagreeable?

He tends to disagree with others quite a bit according to his past post. No biggie to me, it's my bike, I ride it, I'm the one who takes care of it and am the one ultimately responsible for any problems. I have seen what comes out of it stock. Whatever... like you said "overkill beats neglect." I'm sure there will be some comment back about this post. Some have to have the last word.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #17

My feeling about the maintenance schedule is that it has always been difficult to source internal parts for these China bikes and it is getting more difficult by the day. You don't just run down to the bike shop and give them the part number from the manual and go home and do the repair that afternoon.

I do not have either the skill or training to do bottom end or transmission work on these bikes, and no shop in 500 miles of me will touch a China bike for repair.

With the inflation rate and increased shipping charges we are now facing we can expect the future cost of a new engine to be more than the present price of a new bike, within months.

Oil is cheap and easy to find. It only takes one quart, and even the top grade wet clutch application oil costs less than $10 a quart. I am presently paying $6 at Autozone.

$10 worth of oil and ten minutes of my time every 1500KM is not a big deal or something to dread.

A Honda CG might run forever with minimal upkeep, our "clones" will not, that is proven. Most of us can barely keep them on the road what with electrics, transmission, clutch and carburetor issues. The reason for the existence of this forum is to keep them going!

Better to maintain it than have a shed decoration.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #18

Amen to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
My feeling about the maintenance schedule is that it has always been difficult to source internal parts for these China bikes and it is getting more difficult by the day. You don't just run down to the bike shop and give them the part number from the manual and go home and do the repair that afternoon.

I do not have either the skill or training to do bottom end or transmission work on these bikes, and no shop in 500 miles of me will touch a China bike for repair.

With the inflation rate and increased shipping charges we are now facing we can expect the future cost of a new engine to be more than the present price of a new bike, within months.

Oil is cheap and easy to find. It only takes one quart, and even the top grade wet clutch application oil costs less than $10 a quart. I am presently paying $6 at Autozone.

$10 worth of oil and ten minutes of my time every 1500KM is not a big deal or something to dread.

A Honda CG might run forever with minimal upkeep, our "clones" will not, that is proven. Most of us can barely keep them on the road what with electrics, transmission, clutch and carburetor issues. The reason for the existence of this forum is to keep them going!

Better to maintain it than have a shed decoration.
Amen to that. I'm with you. I wouldn't be shopping for 2+ years and then finally breaking down and buying an unassembled china bike if I could afford an already put together, low maintenance Japanese enduro.
Being the opposite of a mechanic, this is hard but I'm pulling it off, actually enjoying it, with all the awsome support from you guys. I make good money but I've got a family that's way more high maintenance in the financial/health cost areana than any China bike.
I felt guilty buying this for myself. I'm certainly going to take the best care of it I can, adhering to the much appreciated advice of the gracious dudes across this great country that are taking the time to help and guide me. Thank you so much y'all.
I want it to last as long as possible. No, I don't change my underwear 4 times a day. Can't afford to. But if these guys advise me to change my TBR7's underwear 7 times a day I'll probably do it.
Btw, what exactly is "wet clutch oil".

Old 11-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkay44 View Post
Btw, what exactly is "wet clutch oil".

Any oil that shows the JASO MA or MA2 rating in its list of certifications on the back.

Motorcycles have wet clutches, that is the clutch is bathed in oil and that is the same bath of oil that services the engine. There are additives in modern car oil that you do not want to get all over your clutch. Things like friction modifiers that will cause the clutch to slip. Therefore you should not use ordinary car motor oil in your bike.

MA/MA2 rated motorcycle oil is also certified to handle the shear load placed on the oil molecules which is much greater than that found in e.g. a car engine, because the motorcycle's transmission gears are also lubricated with the same oil as the engine and clutch.

If you are cheap (and aren't we all), Shell Rotella T4 and T6 diesel engine oil (!) is JASO MA2 rated in the 5w40 and 15w40 weights. It is available in a lot of places in big gallon or even 2.5 gallon jugs for not much money, compared to specialty motorcycle oils, and meets the correct specification for use with pretty much any bike.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #20

I thought that's what it meant. Thanks for that. I used the T4 after I drained the shipping oil.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
If you are cheap (and aren't we all), Shell Rotella T4 and T6 diesel engine oil (!) is JASO MA2 rated in the 5w40 and 15w40 weights. It is available in a lot of places in big gallon or even 2.5 gallon jugs for not much money, compared to specialty motorcycle oils, and meets the correct specification for use with pretty much any bike.
Thanks for the explan. I thought Rotella was just car oil.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Tags
before first start, dirty, pre-first start, shipping oil