Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #16

It's interesting, I have a Magician in North Dakota, and the tires are not great off road, but I ride 80% off road sometimes in the gnarliest deep sand and wet clay. In Arizona I have a Bashan Storm with knobbies, and I have to ride 15 miles to find a dirt road, so I'd say 80/20 on pavement or mild dirt roads. I wish I could trade places with the bikes, but I guess I'll most likely just switch types of tires. The Magician does fine with Dual Sport tires, but it could really use a knobby on the front in the deep sand. I'm thinking the 244's might be fine on both bikes.

2016 Magician 250

Old 12-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #17

Dunlop D605 front & rear

That’s what I’m running on mine. Inexpensive and light years better than the junk that comes on the TT. I only lasted about 200 miles on the cheep tires that came on it. The D605’s were just over $100 from Chapmoto.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChairman View Post
I found the factory tires to be pretty aggressive, and really not bad.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #19

The trails are pretty dry around here (Kansas City). I still have the original enduro tires on it (pic on post #13).

I went out yesterday and put about ten miles of fun on it. The vegetation is dry and needs packing and knocking down (I am workin on it!). I definitely agree that they aren't bad at all on hard pack and softer berm with vegetation. And they take me up steep sections with loose rock to bounce off, or downhill through the same- standing and keeping an eye on the line I plot, which changes!). Not bad at all. It's when I am on the excavated gravelly clay (hard- and dried) that the gravel just makes the front end loose and unpredictable, especially when a rogue rut shows up. It's just an enduro tire.

Also, they aren't good when it's wet and muddy. So I will have to go to knobbies to be prepared for the worse conditions. If I had a second bike...but that isn't happnin'

Last edited by Thumper; 12-12-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #20

OEM enduro tires

In the dry hard pack, enduro tires can be OK. I got through steeps through big loose rock with midsized rock and gravel on step uphill AND downhill yesterday. Also leaped off a 2 foot cliff into loose rock and had no problem. It's a wide trail so I could realign balance but still felt confident on these OEM tires.

Knobbies will add more confidence, and I love to just break 'em loose, make a rooster tail, and slide confidently, but that's a much more aggressive ride.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #21

Wide Tire!

The Tusk is hard. Lugs are big and do not flex like the Shenko 244, or any other tire, frankly. No indication of ply (4, 10!?). Seriously, this tire is hard, including the side lugs. They might be a little too hard to flex into the berm for best traction, but the gaps and depth of tread will make up for a lot of that. It will grind and shred, but will force all flex to be dealt with by the suspension.

On the width... The OEM is a 110 (4.33") and this is a 130 (5.11"), which should be a 20mm difference. But measured, the OEM is 4-3/8" which is pretty close. The Tusk on the other hand, is 5-3/8" (136mm)

So the tusk is wider than 130. I have about 1/2" between the chain and the OEM tire. I might have to shave the Tusk side lugs on the chain side just a bit!

This is like putting a Nitto Grappler on a Suzuki Samarai! If I can make it fit, it will last a LONG time! And traction? Holy cow!!

[IMG]TuskDSport by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #22

What are your feelings about the road performance with those tires? I know you are going for mostly dirt and gravel. But do you expect to get any good tar handling with them? I ask just because I don’t know. I’m not questioning you.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
What are your feelings about the road performance with those tires? I know you are going for mostly dirt and gravel. But do you expect to get any good tar handling with them? I ask just because I don’t know. I’m not questioning you.
I will find out soon enough. The lugs are hard and stiff, and the tire has a wide flat area, so I am sure it will get me to the dirt comfortably. I have a Suzuki GSX 1250 FA for when I want to make a turn on pavement...

[IMG]RightFront by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sorry. I don't mean to hijack this thread!

I'd be happy to take it easy on the road if the side lugs were soft, but that isn't a problem on the Tusk. Getting to the dirt is a compromise. I can trailer if it is a long distance, but it has pretty flat and wide street surface. It think it will be fine.

I just wonder how the Tusk will do on corners in the dirt and mud. Those side lugs are hard!

Last edited by Thumper; 12-16-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #24

Whoa those look like beasts. That's getting into TW200 territory right there!

Old 12-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #25

I was thinking about installing a rim lock when I mount the Tusk. But there is no hole in the rim for it. Maybe if I make sure I get a clean contact between the bead and tire, it will hold. The bike won't ever make more than 20hp even if I port the head, do something about the back pressure in the exhaust and rejet. If by some miracle the tire slips on the wheel and I tear up an inner tube, I may rethink this.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
100/90-19 for front
This is the problem with some Chinese bikes that choose 19" front wheels. Not much to choose form.

My best candidate at the moment is the
Artrax TG5 Dirt Bike Front Tire (70/100-19)

It is a bit skinnier than 90/90-19 (OEM), and taller. Taller narrower tires bite in better and cut in more effectively. I want to eliminate washout. Seems like a good choice. ???

Old 12-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #27

I Removed the rear wheel and set the new Tusk side by side and lined 'em up to see just how much wider the profile really is.

The OEM Yuanxing dual purpose tire (wouldn't call it enduro) is rounded, and so it looks narrow. But I don't think the Tusk is an inch wider. The flatter profile makes it look much wider.

Also, 130/90 seems wrong. 130/60 or 130/50 makes more sense. It is like a low profile knobby. The Tusk is not taller than the 110/90 original tire, but a 90 profile tire that is nearly an inch wider should be much taller as well.

Name:  sidebyside.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  183.6 KB
Name:  LinedUpTop.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  139.3 KB
Name:  LinedUpSide.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  143.6 KB

I think the wide flat profile of the Tusk will grip soft dirt and mud. Breaking loose the rear for a sliding turn should be predictable and controllable. I can't wait to try it... some of the trails I ride are narrow and that kind of control will make higher speed runs easier, and more exciting

Old 12-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #28

Really looking forward to hearing how these things perform all around. You’re not kidding those are going to give you some traction. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I Removed the rear wheel and set the new Tusk side by side and lined 'em up to see just how much wider the profile really is.

The OEM Yuanxing dual purpose tire (wouldn't call it enduro) is rounded, and so it looks narrow. But I don't think the Tusk is an inch wider. The flatter profile makes it look much wider.

Also, 130/90 seems wrong. 130/60 or 130/50 makes more sense. It is like a low profile knobby. The Tusk is not taller than the 110/90 original tire, but a 90 profile tire that is nearly an inch wider should be much taller as well.

Attachment 26174
Attachment 26175
Attachment 26176

I think the wide flat profile of the Tusk will grip soft dirt and mud. Breaking loose the rear for a sliding turn should be predictable and controllable. I can't wait to try it... some of the trails I ride are narrow and that kind of control will make higher speed runs easier, and more exciting

Old 12-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #29

Now for the front...

I haven't decided on a front tire yet.
19" on this Bashan Storm, so lots of options but seems like 70 width only and 100 profile (70/100):
Shenko 546 or 520
Protrax Pt1012
Bridgestone M203 / M204 also
Dunlop Geomax MX33, MX53, AT41
Michelin Starcross 5
Pirelli Scorpion MX (available "midsoft")
and more!

The Protrax is the bargain, but for an extra ~$15-18, I think it's worth choosing the best match for the bike and my weight. I think a soft tire might be best for the slower type of riding I do. I hear MXers saying the soft is the best but they have to run it higher pressure. Michelin Starcross is available in both carcass ratings for under just $60. That might be the Cadillac, and it doesn't cost more than Bridgestone or Dunlop. All of these tires seem to have a diamond shaped (or 45 degree rotated square) intermediate lug for holding the edge in a turn or rut walls, but Pirelli MX has a shaped triangle, whereas MX eXtra has a more squarish shape on that intermediate lug.

Any advice on experiences with these or others appreciate

Old 12-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #30

spudrider's recommendation

I finally decided. Based on the looks of the tire, and a very positive review
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=11102

I am going with the Shinko 524 70/100-19 for a front tire. ~$50 is nice, but what's important is that it looks and sounds like the perfect compliment to the Tusk DSport rear tire. I am gettin' one!!
Can not wait to get it set up.