Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #31

Gentlemen.

I did some electrical digging today, ostensibly while I was motivated enough to take all the body panels off to replace the Chineseium body fasteners with the stainless ones I bought and have had lying around for weeks. I figured I'd try to get to the bottom of my kill switch project while I was at it.

I found the CDI module behind the seat and under the upper rear fender plastic. It was easy enough to get out and there's just enough cable slack to unplug both connectors. It appears to be a 6 pin style DC module. Lo, just as expected, it's missing a wire. In fact, it's missing the pin in the plug entirely for what I am fairly certain is the position where the kill switch wire would go.

While I was at it I chased the wiring up the harness and to the spaghetti explosion behind the headlight and discovered that the connector for the ignition barrel is also missing two pins and is light by two wires. It looks like engine shutoff on this bike is achieved just by interrupting power to the CDI and the kill switch connection isn't used for anything.

Now I'm faced with the prospect of figuring out just what the heck kind of crimp-on pin is used in the connector down on the CDI end and whether/where I can source less than an industrial quantity of them to run a new wire up to the handlebars. I'll assume these things are all pretty much the same across these Honda clones (and maybe actual Hondas) so maybe somebody knows what type of pin I'm shopping for?

Plan B is to finagle the existing pin out of the connector and attempt to measure it, but there's not a lot of room in there and I'd really rather not break or mangle it without replacements on hand...

Plan C might just be to get something like this and hack the end off of it or loot it for pins.

I'll avoid hardwiring anything if at all possible, i.e. just soldering to the spare pin on the CDI, possibly via a wire through the empty hole in the connector.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #32

A DC CDI only uses 5 of the 6 pins.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #33

Interesting. That doesn't match a bunch of the pinouts I found online, but what do I know?

I guess I could always put a splice in the power wire going to the CDI and route it through my switch. That ought to have the same effect as turning off the key.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #34

great info! I was on the fence on ordering one of these but after reading this post Ive backed off to regroup.
20 Brozz 250 Recon
21 Honda Africa Twin
21 Ice Bear Champion 125
22 GPX FSE 450R

Old 12-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #35

compromises

No matter which chinese bike you select, there are always compromises. Build (or assembly!), odd mismatched components that "work", poor head work, excessive back pressure and bad exhaust flow (on street legal models in particular).

I snagged a Bashan Storm just before COVID strangled and pushed prices up.

Compared to the Orion 250? I like the seat!! but the kickstand constantly hits my calf hard (great example of off the shelf thing that "works"). The exhaust is like a cotton stuffed straw! The headwork is like a matchbox transam diecast toy, so the end result is maybe 14hp. I am impressed, however with the stiff front forks (inverted, no less), and even the swingarm is pretty stiff. And I am a full grown, possibly overgrown adult!

I like the Orion's engine and exhaust (compared to mine!). Must make at least 5 hp more, and probably 20% more torque. Oh well. I paid under $1400 for the storm, and $300 shipping, and did the assembly myself, so I could use loctite and did some wiring tucks (zipties).

I would love to port the head and swap in a cat-delete OEM style exhaust with the muffler partially gutted. I am in the process of replacing tires for knobbies:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...6&postcount=21
This will take time and money.