Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #16

I have a Hawk 250 that has been super reliable for @ 10,000 miles as of the writing of this post. However, I've done a boatload of reliability mods to it and I change the oil frequently (every 500 miles). I printed out and followed MegaDan's entire Hawk 250 prep procedure and did everything to a "t". I also ride almost exclusively on the road and use my Hawk as a commuter and weekend backroad joyride bike. I rarely ride in the dirt and try to avoid mud as I'm too old to fall down and get hurt.

If you have the cash, I would just go with a CSC TT250. The customer service is the best in the Chinabike industry and parts are always available and very affordable. The TT250 is better built than any of these bikes in every way, has a counterbalanced engine, and all LED lighting except for the headlight. CSC also has a pretty cool assortment of aftermarket accessories for the TT250. If you need any help, you can call them and get an actual motorcycle mechanic on the phone to help walk you through any issues you're having. Moreover, their online maintenance tutorials are pretty doggone good.

Had I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with a TT250 as it has all the stuff that we like about the Hawk (21/18 tire sizes, that CG low-end "grunt") but with excellent service and much, much higher quality control. Nevertheless, the Hawk is a bike that is affordable and can be significantly improved and upgraded, but not without pumping $ into it right out of the box. As the old saying goes, you do indeed get what you pay for.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #17

I am sure that the 2022 Storm is equal in quality to the CSC TT250. It has a counterbalanced engine, and it has been easy to work on and runs great for me. But at $2800 after the higher price and documentation and dealer prep fees for the TT250, the Storm is a real bargain at $500 to $600 less from Don at shopapmc.

One of the benefits of assembling it is that you become familiar with the frame, wiring, and component mounts. If you take your time and do it carefully, it can take a couple of afternoons. That's just not what some people need.

On the tire issue. Yes Dan, it is true that the selection, especially for the 19" front wheel on the Storm limits choices. CSC TT250 has a 21" front wheel, and an 18" rear wheel. This is more conventional and could be the deciding factor for some. I ended up getting a Shinko 524/525 soft knobby for the front of my Storm. Not DOT, but great for my mostly off-road use. Others like Jerry have the Kenda Trakmaster on their Hawk, which is similar but DOT approved and available for the 19" front (70/100-19). I probably should have gone with that. I hope I don't get knicked when inspection comes around!

17" rear tires is not as limited, including Trakmaster (130/90-17). And there are more choices for the less radical dual sport patterns.

Lots of discussion here on tire choices. Here is one addressing the 17"/19" choices. The Tusk Dsport is just phenomenal in the dirt for me, but it is a low profile knobby (oxymoron!), so it is good on pavement too:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26859

I can live with the limited front tire choices. Trakmaster and Shinko 524 will do just fine. Most important though, the build quality and components fit when I built the Storm from the crate, and the frame geometry, suspension have been surprisingly good, especially after I finally changed the front fork oil:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30342
It has been VERY dependable and handles trails really well.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #18

I have the same question as the OP...

After everyone's great advice so far... I "think" I want a carbureted Hawk 250. I was about to buy it on powersportsmax until I noticed only the Hawk 250 DLX EFI has the new inverted front forks that I want (mostly because they look cool... I expect to ride mostly dirt roads and street).

So now I need to know if the upgraded shocks are worth $300 and the lack of tuning with the EFI?

Is there a carbureted Hawk 250 available somewhere else with the inverted front forks?

Old 04-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #19

Nope ,those forks are JUNK !