Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2022, 10:18 AM   #1

Boatguy’s dumb n00b question of the day

So I have to take my wheels off. Changing tires.

I guess the way to do this is to put it up on a block holding the bike up just under the engine correct?

Stupid question of the day is, how do you get the bike up there? How do you usually do it? Just pick up the back of the bike and kind of kick the block underneath? Hope it all comes together well when you drop the bike back down?

Seems like that would work if you tie the front brake closed so the bike can’t go anywhere.

Also, what are you using for this block? I am really out in the middle of nowhere right now. I can’t receive mail. The bike is basically my only transportation. At least the only reasonable transportation. I don’t want to make a lot of trips with my RV out of this area. It’s really bad for it because of all the holes in the roads and... I get 10 miles to the gallon and Diesel is about $7 a gallon here.

I was looking at the stands at Harbor freight. I would love to find one that’s collapsible.

Or is there just an entirely better way of going about taking the wheels off of a motorcycle?

Can it be done without using anything? Can you just kind of take each wheel off individually, and leave the thing down on the ground?

I know these questions must seem really stupid to you guys. You are all motorcycle mechanic experts. Someday when you guys get boats, I can school you. But for now, I need remedial help on best practices for removing your wheels to get tires mounted.

Also, do you guys think I’ll be able to mount them with some spoons? Or I really do need to go to a dealer and get them mounted?

I’m not completely inept. I build and maintain lots of things. Including diesel trucks, boats, RVs, but I like to do things the right way. And I just have no idea what the right way is for motorcycles. I am finding that out more and more.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:24 AM   #2

Harbor Freight has inexpensive swing arm stands that work great for removing the rear tire. I have a center stand so i have no problem removing front or rear tire.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #3

I recently changed a rear tube (due to a little nail) on my HawkDLX. Yes, you can do it yourself. You'll need some spoons, preferably three.

One of those Harbor Freight center stands would be great (and you'll have to lift and swing one of the bike to get it on/off the stand (the lever-up stand they have is great for getting the bike up, but won't let you easily lever down--at least mine wouldn't)).
I haven't used a swing-arm/snapjack style stand, but that would work too

If you can't get a stand, you can lay the bike down over a block of wood under the frame to keep the back tire up and work it that way.
But this is something you can definitely do yourself. You might want to watch a youtube video or two on how to use the spoons effectively.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 05-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
I recently changed a rear tube (due to a little nail) on my HawkDLX. Yes, you can do it yourself. You'll need some spoons, preferably three.

One of those Harbor Freight center stands would be great (and you'll have to lift and swing one of the bike to get it on/off the stand (the lever-up stand they have is great for getting the bike up, but won't let you easily lever down--at least mine wouldn't)).
I haven't used a swing-arm/snapjack style stand, but that would work too

If you can't get a stand, you can lay the bike down over a block of wood under the frame to keep the back tire up and work it that way.
But this is something you can definitely do yourself. You might want to watch a youtube video or two on how to use the spoons effectively.
Great! Even better if I can do the tires myself. I really wanted to do them myself. Just wasn’t sure how much I was going to be getting into with that. I hear the beads can be pretty difficult to get over the rim. But I have watched a bunch of YouTubes.

I might just lay the bike down and do it. Find the gas tank vent so it doesn’t spill everywhere.

For my situation, where I don’t have a garage or a house or whatever, it’s good to get a repair done in one day. So maybe I can just pop one wheel off, do everything I need to do on that wheel, and then put it back on same day. That’s assuming I can get the tires on.

I really like this idea of doing it all myself. Might as well take your advice and give it a shot.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #5

If you have never done tires/tubes before then absolutely plan on pinching at least one of those tubes and needing another one. Just have them on standby. If you by some chance don't, having spare tubes around is never a bad thing.

I've watched guys use milk crates and cinder blocks and a bit of wood under the motor to change tires before. Special stands are not absolutely necessary. They just make it easier.

My pro tip. Make sure you remove the brake rotors from the wheels before trying to change the tire. They are thin and if you put enough pressure on them, they will warp. Ask me how I know. OR just make sure not to lay the wheel on the rotor side.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #6

not sure how big and burly you are, but I always used a milk crate under the motor. I just lifted the back end and swung it on top. stood beside bike, grabbed the frame on the back in one hand the the handlebar in the other, lifted the back and swung it on top. I guess I used mostly my back, leaning back to get some leverage to lift.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #7

A couple of ratchet straps hanging from the rafters of my shed got me out of a bind until I got a swing arm stand for m X22R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (139.4 KB, 207 views)
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #8

I use ratchet straps on one of the rafters in my garage to lift the front end by the handlebars. Then I use a floor jack with a piece of wood on top, under the swingarm and engine, to lift the rear. Not applicable in your situation, sorry. But yeah, you can lay the bike on its side, slightly elevated so gas doesn't come out the filler. Possibly drain the tank enough so it has very little gas in it.

I have that HF lever-up stand and pretty much instantly regretted buying it. Hard to work with. That's when I figured out how to use a floor jack on it.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 05-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #9

Heck, a pair of jack stands under the foot peg mounts has been my go to method for my Hawk for a long time until I finally stopped being cheap and bought a motorcycle jack. It's a little awkward and clumsy to get it up there, but works great and is decently stable. Like with a center stand it lifts the rear wheel. Want to get the front up just weigh down the back end lol
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #10

OK! All of this sounds great! I really like the idea of using ratchet straps from some thing above. I don’t think I have anything above. But still, it’s a brilliant idea. I would probably do that instead of a jack. No possibility of it falling down. Simple. I already have ratchet straps. I’m considering using a tree branch, but the campground might kill me. Lol

Old 05-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #11

a lift

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...postcount=2752

Agout $60 Amazon or elsewhere. The adjustable height on the pads is great for garages with pitch to drain. You can place a weight on the bike rack to lift the front wheel.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #12

Just use a good sized diameter tree log on end, cut to the right height for your bike, high enough to have both wheels just up off the ground

Old 05-05-2022, 11:41 PM   #13

Oak tree and a rope. If you have a milk crate from the right side you can push top of the bike over on the kickstand and push the crate under the engine. I own two auto lifts that are great for this, but they are usually occupied by customers vehicles so I go old school with my stuff. ( have a V65 hanging from the rafters right now )
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 05-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #14

I’m really liking these no equipment, old school ideas.

Keeping things light weight and not having a bunch of junk hanging around is very important when you are a traveler. Using things you already have for projects is the best way you can do them. I think I can get away with slinging a rope over a limb of a tree and not get in trouble here. The jobs won’t take very long anyway. Hopefully. If I can get those tire beads on. Ha ha.

This way, I can do each job individually and put the bike back together and have it sitting on its own wheels after a few hours of work.

If I was at the boat, I would have lots and lots of ropes. I don’t know if I have any good ones up here. But, I definitely have a bunch of ratchet straps. Either way, this sounds like the way to go.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #15

The rocky mountain ATV video is how I do it. I use three 14.5" spoons, but you could do it with two pretty easy. The silicon lube spray is what makes the magic happen imo, but you could use dish soap and water if you needed to, I've heard you aren't supposed to use wd-40, and have since stopped using wd-40. Its supposed to make the rubber brittle. I use a bottle jack on the "cross member" going across the bottom of the engine for the rear tire, and the same bottle jack on the piece of frame that goes down the front of the engine. I rest the kickstand on a vehicle ramp and just lean it over for the rear, but I can get the front off the ground without the ramp.