Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #1

Motorcycle Covers: Research and Results

For some bizarre reason, I'm in the mood to generate a wordy post. Not sure why, but maybe I'm crazy from the summer heat. Settle in kids, cuz this is a good read.

I live in the state of crazy that births a bountiful crop of Florida Men and Women. Right now, we're in the middle of hurricane / monsoon season. Every afternoon, sea breezes collide and generate massive downpours, trigger outflow boundaries which trigger more storms.

I'm a frugal son of a gun. I love (and need) my dually, but at 11.3 MPG burning 87 octane it costs me a shade over $4 per day to drive it to work (16 mile round trip). To save precious $$, I ride the TT250. I wait out the afternoon storms and ride home as soon as the rain stops. After watching Buzz get absolutely pelted by massive drops every day, I thought it'd be in my best interests to protect him.

I did a substantial amount of research. I searched this forum, watched 'Tube videos (Thanks Fortnine and Lemmy from Revzilla!), read a bunch of reviews on Cycle Gear and Revzilla, and talked to a couple Cycle Gear sales reps.

My criteria for a cover:
Covers the entire motorcycle
Durable
Lifetime warranty
Waterproof, and allows humidity to dissipate via a vent
Mildew resistant
Protects the bike against the brutal Florida sun
Heavier weight material (more durable)
Double stitched and taped seams
Clip to secure the cover so it stays on the bike in high winds
Price is inconsequential

My findings:
Some lightweight covers have coatings that repel water but wear off over time.
Some covers cost upwards of $90 and shred after a couple years of use.
Cover sizes are very challenging to match up to our dual sports. The turn signals stick out from the front and rear of my TT250, which affect the size of the cover. Every dual sport is slightly different. I assumed a Honda CRF230L cover would fit, but I was wrong.

All my research lead me to one cover: the Dowco Weatherall Plus. It is the best on the market, hands down. I read through sizing charts, checked dimensions, and asked the gear geeks to tell me which size would fit my TT250. I processed all the data, but something didn't add up. I felt the recommendations I received would lead me to an incorrectly sized cover.

I sent an email to the Dowco Powersports Support Team. I explained my concerns about sizing. The technician was VERY helpful, quick to respond, thorough, and a pleasure to work with.

An excerpt of her email:
For us to give the best recommendation on cover size could you please provide the following information so we can provide a fitment:
1. Overall measurements including all accessories/modifications above the STOCK option
- Overall length
- Front height
- Rear height
- Front width
- Rear width
2. Detailed description of all accessories/modifications above the STOCK option (these non-stock options do alter the fitment which is why we ask)
3. Pictures of your setup

The cover that best fits my TT250 is https://dowcopowersports.com/shop/gu...scooter-cover/ in size XL. $109.99 with free shipping.

I put it on my bike yesterday prior to another afternoon thunderstorm. The cover fits PERFECTLY!!! Rain beads up on it, and runs right off. I'm glad I invested the time and energy into the research, and the $$ for this cover.

Dowco is a GREAT company. I can't say enough positive about them. If I ever need another cover for anything, I'm going straight to their website. When you deal with the best, there's no need to waste time with the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4427.jpg (36.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4426.jpg (37.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4425.jpg (33.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4424.jpg (36.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4423.jpg (36.5 KB, 42 views)
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Last edited by Hunnicutt; 07-27-2022 at 11:26 AM.