Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2022, 12:38 AM   #1

Need help picking a bike

Hello, I want to buy a dual sport and have been looking around but still have many questions. I'm 6'1" 250 lbs, 60yo and started riding when I was 12. I haven't ridden off road in a few decades except for mountain biking. I do have a lot of experience on 2 wheels. I plan to spend most of my time on back roads, trails and old mining land (off road park). My last bike was a Vulcan 1500 cruiser.

I like the Templar and Templar M, Titan and Hawk. My budget is <$2k. What is the difference between the Templar and Templar M? Are all the 230cc engines the same pushrod engine? I think I'd like to get the 250 OHC engine instead but then again even a slow bike can be fun. I would also prefer 21/18" wheels like my old motox bikes had. Are there other bikes with the 250 engine besides the templar?

I tried calling Powersportmax but the girl I spoke with didn't know anything about the bikies. Any advice, information and guidance is appreciated. TIA!

Old 11-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Hello, I want to buy a dual sport and have been looking around but still have many questions. I'm 6'1" 250 lbs, 60yo and started riding when I was 12. I haven't ridden off road in a few decades except for mountain biking. I do have a lot of experience on 2 wheels. I plan to spend most of my time on back roads, trails and old mining land (off road park). My last bike was a Vulcan 1500 cruiser.

I like the Templar and Templar M, Titan and Hawk. My budget is <$2k. What is the difference between the Templar and Templar M? Are all the 230cc engines the same pushrod engine? I think I'd like to get the 250 OHC engine instead but then again even a slow bike can be fun. I would also prefer 21/18" wheels like my old motox bikes had. Are there other bikes with the 250 engine besides the templar?

I tried calling Powersportmax but the girl I spoke with didn't know anything about the bikies. Any advice, information and guidance is appreciated. TIA!

The 230cc can be either OHV or OHC

From that list i would pick the Templar M. That engine is quite good and can go head to head with let's say a Yamaha XT250 and with some jetting can make the engine on the XT250 eat dust.

For the asking price in the US, it is a bargain.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:29 PM   #3

Thanks Wild Dog. How can I tell which 230 is which? I agree that the 249cc engine seems like the much better engine. I just noticed that the Templar uses a different frame from the more expensive (newer?) X and M versions. The Templar wheelbase is only 52" vs 58" and the seat height is 35" vs 36". I actually prefer the Templar with the different frame colors unless there are more compelling reasons to get the M. The skid plate on the M/X is nice.

How comfortable is the Templar? The seat looks very thin and narrow. Tiny gas tank too. If the specs are correct, the M/X also weigh 45lbs more than the Templar. Ugh... So many factors to consider and so few reviews. Thanks again.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:50 PM   #4

Freddie just keep in mind that when you get this bike if you don't tweaked out to maximum performance levels, many folks on here may begin calling you slow freddie. heheh sorry couldn't resist. happy thanksgiving humor.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:33 AM   #5

How could I be anything but slow on a 4 stroke 250?

Happy Thanksgiving,

Slow Freddy

Old 11-25-2022, 08:23 AM   #6

The seat on the Templar X is fairly comfortable and basically the same as any dirt-bike seat. I can ride for hours and if my butt starts feeling sore, a short stand on the pegs and im back to normal. With that being said, if you want a more comfortable bike for on/off road riding then something like a Brozz or Hawk may be the better choice although they lose some of the off-road prowess that the Templar X brings to the table (not-including the 6th gear).. None of these bikes are MX level or something you'd do jumps with but they are all a ton of fun on pavement, gravel/fire roads, and off-road trails.. and the power is just right not to get yourself into too much trouble..
Also.. i was only aware of a Templar M (5-speed and non-adjustable suspension) and X (6-speed with fully adjustable f/r suspension) but not a plain Templar.. looking on the PSM site it seems the Templar looks curiously the same as a Titan 5-sp with non-adjustable suspension?

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 11-25-2022, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
The seat on the Templar X is fairly comfortable and basically the same as any dirt-bike seat. I can ride for hours and if my butt starts feeling sore, a short stand on the pegs and im back to normal. With that being said, if you want a more comfortable bike for on/off road riding then something like a Brozz or Hawk may be the better choice although they lose some of the off-road prowess that the Templar X brings to the table
That's what i was going to say.
The seat on hawksesque motorcycles is more confortable than the ones found in the templar.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #8

FYI-about engines...

The 229cc ZS167FMM clone (14hp) is on the Bashan bikes (Brozz, Recon, Storm) and the Hawk. Hawk DLX has the EFI version of this engine.

The 19hp 249cc ZS172FMM engine is on the Templar M and X. Lifan KPX 250 has a Lifan manufactured 249cc engine just like the ZS172.

The 229cc is still commonly sold as a "250". Most 250s have the 229cc engine, so look closely for actual displacement or the engine designations above.

Bikes with the bigger engine are taller, especially the Templars, which have full sized enduro/MX frames.

Here are a couple of threads on the Templar X.
The first one is the 5 speed version from earlier this Summer.
The 6speed version (2022 1/2 Templar X) came out mid/late Summer.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31046
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31439

Last edited by Thumper; 11-25-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #9

get the 249cc and also look for a 6 speed trans. those two things help a lot for backroad riding at 55 to 60 to get to locations to go off road. I had a Hawk and I'm about your size. the 229s have to run at near max RPMs to get 60. the sixth gear helps to relax the motor a bit.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:34 PM   #10

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
The seat on the Templar X is fairly comfortable and basically the same as any dirt-bike seat. I can ride for hours and if my butt starts feeling sore, a short stand on the pegs and im back to normal. With that being said, if you want a more comfortable bike for on/off road riding then something like a Brozz or Hawk may be the better choice although they lose some of the off-road prowess that the Templar X brings to the table (not-including the 6th gear).. None of these bikes are MX level or something you'd do jumps with but they are all a ton of fun on pavement, gravel/fire roads, and off-road trails.. and the power is just right not to get yourself into too much trouble..
Also.. i was only aware of a Templar M (5-speed and non-adjustable suspension) and X (6-speed with fully adjustable f/r suspension) but not a plain Templar.. looking on the PSM site it seems the Templar looks curiously the same as a Titan 5-sp with non-adjustable suspension?
Thanks! PSM has sold out of the Templar M that I was leaning toward so now I'm really curious about the Templar. It looks similar to the Titan but the wheelbase is even shorter at 52" vs 54" for the Titan. I know I should buy the X but I really want to stay under $2k and I really plan on just putting around back roads at 50mph. I don't mind swapping sprockets occasionally.

Should I be worried about the short 52" wheelbase of the Templar? Is the 16hp Titan Zongshen engine OHC? PSM doesn't have enough info on their site. I really like ther Hawk but I think the Titan and Templar look like better options for me. Thanks for your insights

Old 11-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
FYI-about engines...

The 229cc ZS167FMM clone (14hp) is on the Bashan bikes (Brozz, Recon, Storm) and the Hawk. Hawk DLX has the EFI version of this engine.

The 19hp 249cc ZS172FMM engine is on the Templar M and X. Lifan KPX 250 has a Lifan manufactured 249cc engine just like the ZS172.

The 229cc is still commonly sold as a "250". Most 250s have the 229cc engine, so look closely for actual displacement or the engine designations above.

Bikes with the bigger engine are taller, especially the Templars, which have full sized enduro/MX frames.

Here are a couple of threads on the Templar X.
The first one is the 5 speed version from earlier this Summer.
The 6speed version (2022 1/2 Templar X) came out mid/late Summer.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31046
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31439
Thank you! So the 229cc is the pushrod OHV engine with 14hp? Does that mean the 223cc 16hp Zongshen is the OHC engine?

Do you know much about the smaller Templar with the short 52" wheelbase? PSM has a Templar, m and x variants. The M/X have a much longer 58" wheelbase, taller seat height and slightly larger fuel tank, among other differences. I know I'll probably regret not spending the extra $400 for the X but I'm still inclined to get a cheaper 5 spd. When we go to the local ATV park the bike will be trailered with the UTV.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
get the 249cc and also look for a 6 speed trans. those two things help a lot for backroad riding at 55 to 60 to get to locations to go off road. I had a Hawk and I'm about your size. the 229s have to run at near max RPMs to get 60. the sixth gear helps to relax the motor a bit.
Thank you! That is good advice. I'm not sure that I'm smart enough to take it but I do appreciate it nonetheless.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:12 PM   #13

Most 167fmm engines are rated so low because they are super leaned out from the factory with the carbed versions. Proper jet sizing really perks them up. The CSC TT250 is rated at 16.1hp, which is more realistic for a properly tuned carubureted OHV 229. With a cat removal or a full exhaust it opens them up a tad more, usually resulting in a 3 to 5mph increase in top speed and better mid range power. The DLX is rated at 17hp, and wouldn't you know, it has a much better exhaust system from the factory than the carbed bikes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-26-2022, 02:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Most 167fmm engines are rated so low because they are super leaned out from the factory with the carbed versions. Proper jet sizing really perks them up. The CSC TT250 is rated at 16.1hp, which is more realistic for a properly tuned carubureted OHV 229. With a cat removal or a full exhaust it opens them up a tad more, usually resulting in a 3 to 5mph increase in top speed and better mid range power. The DLX is rated at 17hp, and wouldn't you know, it has a much better exhaust system from the factory than the carbed bikes.
Thanks! It's good to know that even the OHV 229 has easy potential. I'm so indecisive about this. I had pretty much decided on the Templar M and PSM sold out before I could place my order. Now I like the Templar a lot but not sure I want a short 52" wheelbase and concerned that I know so little about this third Templar version. It appears to use a different frame than the M/X and Titan.

My last few bikes were street bikes and I haven't ridden a dirt bike since the 80's on my Bultaco Frontera 250. It makes it hard to know what I want. It was much easier when I picked out my '75 KX125.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:56 PM   #15

Well, I ordered a Templar 250 from Powersportsmax. I hope I get the orange one and that it's a mild winter in SE PA

Edit: What jets do I need for this? IIRC 125 main and 45 pilot but Mikuni style, Keihin or other? I'm at ~500' ASL. TIA

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 11-26-2022 at 11:31 PM.