Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #1

2001 Yamoto PY200 MX Bike - FORK OIL

I have a dirtbike with wimpy forks....no duh right...anyways...my lil 12 yr old who is barely 95 lbs wet...bottoms them out all the time...even down a HILL.

so I put a 1" spacer in the sort of preload the forks more...nice...but...when doing it...there barely seemed to be any OIL in the forks! and what was in there was a nasty, crispy, smell !!

So..I want to add for oil as there is about ZERO in there......anyone have a clue roughly how much I should add or even start with??

I will empty out whats there and measure it but im sure somewhere...some previous owner dumped it or it leaked or something as theres pretty much NOTHING in there!!!!!

Any ideas or clues would be helpful....

Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

try about 4 oz per side. I seem to recall that. It may have been 8oz.

search the dual sport forum. Someone drained and measured it.

Allen

Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #3

Re: 2001 Yamoto PY200 MX Bike - FORK OIL

I would go buy a bottle of good fork oil. Now is your chance to learn fork tuning. It really isnt that hard. Are they inverted forks or conventional? In any case, pull the forks, remove the caps and dump the fish-oil that is left in there. I would use a third of the bottle in each side. Pull the spacer you put in for now. Put them back on and see what you have. You will most likely need more oil per side but try it and see. Keep adding about an ounce per side 'till it feels right. Set all the adjusters in the middle so you can fine tune it later. You will know when you have it perfect for your weight and as you grow you always can use the spacers or see if they sell bigger fork springs. Just my two cents. Good luck in any case.
Eric in Mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorboy924
I have a dirtbike with wimpy forks....no duh right...anyways...my lil 12 yr old who is barely 95 lbs wet...bottoms them out all the time...even down a HILL.

so I put a 1" spacer in the sort of preload the forks more...nice...but...when doing it...there barely seemed to be any OIL in the forks! and what was in there was a nasty, crispy, smell !!

So..I want to add for oil as there is about ZERO in there......anyone have a clue roughly how much I should add or even start with??

I will empty out whats there and measure it but im sure somewhere...some previous owner dumped it or it leaked or something as theres pretty much NOTHING in there!!!!!

Any ideas or clues would be helpful....

Thanks