Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #1

Why can't I kickStart my BIKE?!

ever since i got my bike it won't kickstart. the electric start works just fine though. theres only 300 miles on the bike.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 AM   #2

What do you mean exactly? That the kick starter does not make the engine turn over? or that you cant get it to start that way?

Get it running, and warm. Then turn off the bike and immediatly try the kick start... it should start... I can get mine to start with my hand...they are not hard to turn over.

I have to kick mine, since my battery box fell off. 8O

I usually stand up on the pegs, letting the kick stand hold up the bike.. be carefull if you are on uneven ground.. I fell that way once and kick start it from that position.. But you can do it from a sitting position too.

Here is a vid from youtube.. it should start about that easy.

Ken

Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #3

Kick the Kickstarter

Because of the compression, you may need to crack the throttle a hair to relieve the vacuum. The kickstarter gearing was designed for 125cc and 9:1 compression, not 200cc and 10:1. :roll:

Is anyone else's lever way off level like mine? Mine is angled upward at a 15 degree angle. Very awkward to use. :x

Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #4

Well first of all you can angle it or change the position any way you like using the adjustment. The china bikes are a little tough to get started sometimes using the kick. The way I see it the kick start is just a backup if the battery goes, not to be used all the time. Once my battery died and I had to kick it for a couple weeks until I got a new one. It sucked sometimes it would kick over the first or second time sometimes it would take many kicks. By the end of the 2 weeks my kick starter was beginning to stick in the down position and it even finally striped the teeth off the lever. From what I have seen they are light duty and not to be used all the time only as a backup. I now have a new lever but use it only in emergency. Cracking the throttle ever so slightly will help but I suggest you get a new battery box asap so you don't have to rely on the dreaded kick!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #5

My bike is tough to kick, but I have done it. There is a trick to it.

Here is some tips.
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/start4st.asp

They is alot of great tech articles that are not brand specific there.

Allen

Old 06-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Why does the author in that article insists not to touch the throttle? I always use light throttle.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #7

because if you throttle a 600cc thumper and it backfires the kickstart can break your ankle.

its happened 8O

Old 06-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #8

I almost never have use any throttle.. But it was the same with the electric. it seems to start better if you leave it alone...or twist it a little then let it go and then start it.

I have been kicking mine for several months now.. no issues, and never hard to start cold, or hot. I have not noticed any wear or slop in my kick strtr either. Mine is easy enough to get the engine started by hand.. wonder if the engine is a little different.

I suspect it is because my bike was set up a little on the rich side. I have a stock 109 main jet, and even in very cold temps I rarely need to use the choke much.

It is wierd how these bikes all have small differences..

Ken

Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #9

I kicked mine today just to try it. It is tough to follow those tips.

I kicked it at Home depot and it started on the first kick after it was warm.

Much easier to use the e-start though.

Allen

Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #10

Kato,

Those instructions are for a 650... with a compression release. For those guys, you do it that way or the thing'll kill you. (not kiddin) :wink:

I think we should come up with some instructions more taylored to our machines.

My bike anyway won't start without some throttle- won't idle either cold without just the right choke setting. It's pretty finiky

Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #11

I wouldn't kick a 650 anyway, but the idea is the same. We don't have compression release, but if you can get it to the TDC and kick it is much easier.

The e-start was a big selling point for me since I was only a few months out of knee surgery when I bought the lifan.

Allen

Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #12

I think this engine was designed for e-start and the kick is a backup. Why kick when you don't have to? I still can't figure that one out. A replacement battery box can not be expensive. I threw mine out when I made my steel box or I would just send it to you.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #13

Kickstarting a 650 isn't so bad. I never used the e-start on my old Yamaha XS650. It all has to do with technique....

These Lifans are tricky to kick over when cold, though.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeModz
I think this engine was designed for e-start and the kick is a backup. Why kick when you don't have to? I still can't figure that one out. A replacement battery box can not be expensive. I threw mine out when I made my steel box or I would just send it to you.
The original question was, Why can't I kick-Start....

Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #15

I;m not sure how to answer because I am not sure what the problem is exactly. But I as always am the odd man out and never had trouble kicking my bike over..Or just kicking it