Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2023, 11:07 AM   #1

BMS Enduro 250

I’m not buying another motorcycle. Ask my wife - she’ll tell you that.

I am, though, about to head to the greater Los Angeles area for a little bit, to hang out with dad. And by little bit, I’m not really sure how long - aging parents, ya know what I mean? My summer plans for riding the BDR have been put aside as we shuttle back and forth between this parent and that, and this current mission, whether I chose to accept it or not, has me headed to LA by… car.

That being said… dad has a full-size, make anything shop, all the way up to full buddy chassis size things. So - idle hands and all… how are we suppose to NOT get in trouble if we are hanging out?

Someone not far away has a 2022 BMS Enduro 250 listed locally for sale. Of course, I was looking for ‘73 CL450 parts wink wink. Haven’t seen anyone talk here about this make / model. Seen it listed online at a couple of places. Looking at the specs…

… it looks like a basic Hawk. 5 speed, carb’d, 49 state legal - funny, since I would be looking at it in the 50th state - CG250 engine, yada yada yada.

Sound about right? I await your thoughts and wit and wisdom.

Oh - and for a 2022, and listed as ~1000 mi and they’re asking a reasonable price

Old 06-07-2023, 07:24 PM   #2

That's a Bashan made bike, which in terms of the cheaper dual sports are good bikes. Not quite a Hawk, but extremely similar.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #3

You won't be able to register the bike in California. There is a SLIGHT chance the owners owned and registered the bike in another state and brought it with them and registered it in California (from what I understand is legal). Or, it is registered in another state. Or, not registered at all. Back in the mid-2000s, unscrupulous local dealers/distributors would sell these bikes locally and owners were stuck with them, or trying to unload them on Craigslist by claiming they are Hondas, easily registerable, etc. I also believe that employees of the dealers and distributors would bring bikes home and try to unload them on unaware Craigslist shoppers. I do recall seeing bike on Craigslist from people who had moved into California and had them registered out of state, and were selling them trying to convince potential buyers they could be registered in California.

Now, all that being said, you sound like you might not be staying long, but I just wanted to bring it up.

On a side note, I used to email the US representative for Bashan, and we discussed all their bikes. Bashan has a blanket EPA/DOT certificate for all their dual-sports, but they allow different models of their bikes to be sold under different brand names. So, BMS is one such dealer. Peace Motorsports sells a couple different models. Roketa distributes a couple of Bashan's bikes as 'Bashan'. They all have slightly different features to differentiate them from each other. For instance, most of Bashan's other bikes have 19"/17" wheels (don't quote me, maybe 19/18?), but the BMS version uses the more common 21/18 sizes. But, ultimately, all use the same engine (except for the Raven if I recall, even though it is still EPA/DOT certified under the same blanket certificate) which has a good reputation. One thing that he told me (we were emailing back and forth probably 5 or so years ago) was that BMS was going through the process of getting their bike CARB certified for California. But, about a year after, they abandoned that idea.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-08-2023, 10:24 AM   #4

Oh - I have no expectation that this bike has tags. 😂 I expect that it’s ~1000 miles are trail and desert ridden. Off-road. I wanted to do some reading ahead of time on the range of the basic pitfalls that would await me, if I went to look at it or worse, laid hands on it… esp after 1000 miles. The Hawk is laid out in fairly good detail but it sounds like this would be some adventure discovery learning. I should not buy another bike. I should not buy another bike. I should not buy another bike. I’d register it in my home state. I should not buy another bike.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:59 PM   #5

Digging into the BMS site and paperwork, their core listing for the bike has it as a bs250gy-18. Which explains a lot.

Doesn’t help me in quickly finding guide anyone has written for, Welcome to you bs250gy-18, here’s the (X) things you need to do right away with it - like there is with some other platforms.

Maybe I’ll ask ChatGpt

Old 06-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
Digging into the BMS site and paperwork, their core listing for the bike has it as a bs250gy-18. Which explains a lot.

Doesn’t help me in quickly finding guide anyone has written for, Welcome to you bs250gy-18, here’s the (X) things you need to do right away with it - like there is with some other platforms.

Maybe I’ll ask ChatGpt
Look for threads about the BMS-specific bikes. A woman started a thread when she and her husband bought his and her bikes. I remember she cut off a bunch of foam in her seat to get her seat lower; her thread had a lot of information from her and her husband's perspective on ownership. Look up the BMS name; CRP 250. However, the other Bashan models like the Bashan Storm 250 and Peace Motorsports Bashan Brozz 250 should give you general information on the Bashan dual-sports.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 06-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #7

Noice. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2023, 12:14 AM   #8

Not that anyone cares, but… current motorcycles manufactured with the model number ZS167FMM appear to be:

BMS Enduro 250 CRP
Brozz 250
Lifan LF250-2A
Motomax 250
Ronin R250
Storm 250
Xingyue XY250

Old 06-09-2023, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Search for posts from member northrider about the BMS CRP250. There sould be some info your looking for.
Yes, this! I forgot her Chinariders nickname...Northrider had a lot of information about the CRP250

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 06-09-2023, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
Not that anyone cares, but… current motorcycles manufactured with the model number ZS167FMM appear to be:

BMS Enduro 250 CRP
Brozz 250
Lifan LF250-2A
Motomax 250
Ronin R250
Storm 250
Xingyue XY250
The BMS, Brozz, Motomax, Ronin(?), and Storm are all manufactured by Bashan and may or may not be sold under different brand names. You should be able to find quite a few YouTube videos on the Brozz. I believe I saw the Ronin certified on the same EPA/DOT certificate as the rest of the Bashan lineup, although I am not sure if it is available yet (or will be--some bikes are on a manufacturer's list but we never do see the model in the US).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 06-10-2023, 08:43 AM   #11

Annnnnnnnd delay of game.

Trip has been put on hold.

I am not buying another motorcycle