Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #1

Erratic Speed Sensor

So I accidentally burned out the speed sensor on my 2021 Boom Vader (Venom X20) by plugging the headlight plug into it after fixing my wiring harness. I replaced it with this one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092D3Q24C...roduct_details

I had to order it twice, since the first one didn't work at all, so I'm not sure how good they are. Anyway, it works normally about 20% of the time...the rest of the time, the numbers change so fast you can't read them. If I'm going around 40 or so, the "4" is stable, but the ones digit is all over the place. If I'm between 40 and 50, the tens digit flips back and forth between 4 and 5 constantly. The plugs and connections seem ok...Also, when I installed the sensor, I did not lubricate the moving parts, as they do not seem to actually touch each other, and they are not getting hot at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 06-22-2023, 05:31 PM   #2

i'd say its faulty.

Most of these work on moving magnet/s passed a pick up sensor...

magnets are hard to get wrong, but if the sensor is not positioned correctly it can give false readings...

I'd contact seller and say its not working as intended and return/replace the unit.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:15 AM   #3

I was hoping that wasn't the case...I'm getting tired of taking off the headlight, lol! But I just ordered another one...Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-23-2023, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx95 View Post
I was hoping that wasn't the case...I'm getting tired of taking off the headlight, lol! But I just ordered another one...Thanks for the advice!
I have that exact same Amazon sensor to replace my original one that never worked, and my sensor works fine and is stable.. so I concur, definitely a faulty unit.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:41 AM   #5

I replaced the speed sensor a third time, and that fixed it. The first two (from the same supplier at Amazon at the link above) were both defective. The third one which was shipped from China was visibly different and worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice!