Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2023, 05:36 PM   #1

TBR7 Clutch or other problems?

So the good news first, the hawk 250 clutch fits on the tbr7!

However I think there could be other problems. When about to install the new clutch I noticed the input shaft that the clutch sits on is shaky and loose, I added a gif (not sure if this looseness is okay, I'm guessing no)

Now in the beginning when I first opened the clutch case (after barely making it home) there were an extraordinary amount of metal shavings, it didn't make sense how much compared to the minor amount of wear on the clutch basket that might cause a few shavings.

Before then the bike had a little trouble shifting for about a month which I ignored. Then the final ride I literally almost didn't make it home, it was getting progressively worse by the second and almost didn't allow me to put it in gear at all while jumping uncontrollably. Knowing the backstory do I just need a new input shaft/other minor fix or are my problems a lot worse. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final gif.gif
Views:	38
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	30106  

Last edited by digital5000; 09-23-2023 at 06:44 PM.

Old 09-23-2023, 06:03 PM   #2

If its on the way out I would suggest just getting a new CG250 engine...wallmart sells them for new under $350USD and keep the current engine as 'spares'... (other new engine providers are available)

Addendum...the current Walmart listings appear to be 200/250cc hybrids...ebay might be a better source...

or potentially side grade to a OHC engine if the shoe fits...for about $50 more...

You could find another used engine and cobble together a runner...

But there comes a point when the time involved on what is essentially a budget china power plant is not really cost effective. As getting each new replacement part could cost more than the entire new engine...and there is no guarantee something else in the engine is compromised...

Old 09-23-2023, 07:28 PM   #3

That could be a potentially cheap fix, but you will have to put in some work. If you think you have the competence to split the case on that thing, the transmission gears and shafts can be bought as whole assemblies for $30-60. Toss in another 20 for a gasket set. Maybe another 20 or so if a bearing is bad.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-25-2023, 10:45 PM   #4

I'm going to open up the case soon and keep you guys posted thanks megadan. Xlsior very good points I will take into consideration if there is excess damage I might go that route.