Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2023, 11:07 PM   #1

Tbr7/hawk250 Kicking tip

So I was messing around trying to find a good way to consistently find Top dead center for kicking over my bike. Found a good method thats been fairly consistent on my bike to get it positioned to kick over easier. Getting the kicker at the top, pumping down very slightly repeatedly until the pressure goes away(from the top, very light kick to pressure the reset). Slowly kick the bike all the way down and hear the exhaust pressure come out. Instead of resetting and full kicking, what I found was to bring the kicker back up to 9 o clock or around half back up or slightly below, kicking it all the way through again. And then reseting all the way back to the top. Then full weight normal kicking to turn it over. Its made it a lot more consistent on my kicks. Dunno if its just my bike, but could be worth a shot if yall are struggling to kick yours over. Most other kick start bikes ive owned feel a lot different than the kicker on these. Might try buying a longer kicker for more leverage tbh. Did also find adjusting valves to make it feel better overall too. (had them set a bit too tight and loosened it up. Oops lol). Could record a video if anybody wants it (not the best at explaining things with words too many damn bumps on the head)

1998 Suzuki Intruder VS800 (bobbed out)
2021 Sur Ron Lightbee Supermoto (Heavily modified up to 40hp peak)

Old 11-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zynice View Post
So I was messing around trying to find a good way to consistently find Top dead center for kicking over my bike. Found a good method thats been fairly consistent on my bike to get it positioned to kick over easier. Getting the kicker at the top, pumping down very slightly repeatedly until the pressure goes away(from the top, very light kick to pressure the reset). Slowly kick the bike all the way down and hear the exhaust pressure come out. Instead of resetting and full kicking, what I found was to bring the kicker back up to 9 o clock or around half back up or slightly below, kicking it all the way through again. And then reseting all the way back to the top. Then full weight normal kicking to turn it over. Its made it a lot more consistent on my kicks. Dunno if its just my bike, but could be worth a shot if yall are struggling to kick yours over. Most other kick start bikes ive owned feel a lot different than the kicker on these. Might try buying a longer kicker for more leverage tbh. Did also find adjusting valves to make it feel better overall too. (had them set a bit too tight and loosened it up. Oops lol). Could record a video if anybody wants it (not the best at explaining things with words too many damn bumps on the head)

Yes please! A video would be great! I've seen so many and everyone just says it's about the feel, but without someone next to you to actually show you what the "feel" is, you're somewhat in the dark. I can kick my TT250 after it's warmed up...sometimes..., but have rarely (if ever) managed to kick it from a cold start.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
Yes please! A video would be great! I've seen so many and everyone just says it's about the feel, but without someone next to you to actually show you what the "feel" is, you're somewhat in the dark. I can kick my TT250 after it's warmed up...sometimes..., but have rarely (if ever) managed to kick it from a cold start.

Ye I gotchu man. Ill see if I have time lateron today. Not the best at editing or anything but somethings better than nothing. Ill explain it indepth

Old 11-08-2023, 02:59 PM   #4

Video thing

Sorry about the bad audio quality. Mics pretty shitty. Did add extra details in the description.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:19 PM   #5

Awesome thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I'm gonna go home and give it a shot, we're about 45deg right now so let's see if I can gain some confidence on having battery issues.

This guy has over 30k on his TT250, and doesn't even have a battery. He was one of the original inspirations for me to get this one.

https://www.youtube.com/@yurionabike2184

Old 11-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #6

YES!!!! Man I'm so stoked, it was cold for a few days, tender was not connected, I very lightly pressed down a few times just a couple inches, and then it dropped to the bottom with a *woosh*... so I let it up halfway, pushed it down all the way again, then back to the top, and BAM first kick had it immediately fired up.

I've been trying to do this for two years from cold, and only once or twice was able to immediately do it, so it must have just happened to been on this same stroke. I'm so jazzed that I'll probably make a video for fun showing this same thing, thanks again for the good explanation!

Old 11-12-2023, 03:44 PM   #7

This lowkey may have been why I've wanted a dirtbike since a kid, so thought I'd pass it on!