Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #1

Fuel Filter - Hawk

Whether it needs an in-line fuel filter or not is probably debatable. Went ahead and added one...easy install, inexpensive. Ordered some new tubing, small fuel line clamps, and fuel filters for ATV/Motorcycles on Amazon (less than $10). Only used a small piece of the blue tubing to run from the petcock to the filter. I left the existing fuel line from the filter to the carb. The engine runs fine with it...the filter isn't restricting the fuel to the point of starving the carb/engine, will see how it holds up in the long run. Photos for reference for anyone who may be considering adding one to their China bike...

1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 07-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #2

I had a fuel filter on my last Hawk. Technically they already have one built into the petcock assembly (so I am told at least). As long as the fuel filter flows well enough to not restrict flow to the bowl, then it never hurts to have the added filtration.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I had a fuel filter on my last Hawk. Technically they already have one built into the petcock assembly (so I am told at least). As long as the fuel filter flows well enough to not restrict flow to the bowl, then it never hurts to have the added filtration.
I think the one built into the petcock is a screen, whereas the one in the gas line is a real fuel filter...ARH

Old 02-01-2024, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I think the one built into the petcock is a screen, whereas the one in the gas line is a real fuel filter...ARH

I'm adding one to an RPS Magician because this is the 1 and only motorcycle that I have ever had anything go wrong on the carburetor on! Something is stuck/messed up down in the bowl with the float area and there are no screws to take the thing apart to try to clean. I was driving home from work and it sounded like it was running out of gas so I stopped at a gas station. After filling it I saw a nice pool of gas under it and a stream of gas running out of the carburetor!

Texas Powersports sent a new carburetor and it works fine, but I'm pretty sure some wonderful bits of metal or whatever else is in the tank from its manufacturing is the cause. Why ANYTHING wouldn't have a REAL fuel filter when they cost 50 cents in bulk is beyond me! They are just asking for problems and causing trouble and giving themselves a bad name.

Oh, and after I got some 1/4" filters and the hose is too tight I guess it really needs the 3/16" size and I just ordered those instead. (Yay for free Amazon returns.)