Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #16

Glad your ok. That had to have been very very scary!!!! Check it all out but Culcune may be correct, your best option may be a new bike and parting out the old one. Sorry, hang in there.
Ride hard and have FUN!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Same here, glad you came through that with no serious injury! Again, the helmet saved the day! But I know I shouldn't be preaching again about this so I won't right now, but it certainly looks like a pretty had hit on that bike.

I was just going through some parts to get your back up and running again, and I would have to recommend that you would come out better to just part it out at this point unless you can purchase another bike in good shape with a blown engine to fix it up with ...Culcune, maybe???

Looking at replacing:
Front wheel assembly, tire and tube, front brake lever, shocks if they are bent, front fender, mirrors, clutch cable, instrument assembly, ignition assembly, tach and odometer cables, headlight bracket, headlight fairing and the headlight asembly.

With shipping, you are close to the $700.00 mark. If the shocks are OK and you know they are not leaking or bent, you can save about $180.00 - $200.00. Tire may still be useable and save an additional $38.00.
Regardless, you are going to spend around $500.00 to get this bike fixed, so now you have a hard decision to make. Like I said, I would be looking to buy another bike cheap that had a busted engine and you would come out ahead with a lot of extra parts to boot.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #18

Don't listen to em Ant!! Pound that front wheel back into a sort of round shape after loosening the spokes; tighten the spokes back up. Loosen up the forks and make sure they are straight before you tighten them up. IIRC you are 15 so I assume you use it for a dirtbike and not on the street. If it's tweeked a little it won't hurt anything. Just make sure the brakes work and she tracks mostly straight.

If I've assumed incorrectly and you are using this bike on the street then cancel everything I just said.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #19

i was going to use it on the street here in tennessee you can get a motorcycle liscense at 14

Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #20

I meant no disrespect Ant but I thought TN had done away with the motorcycle license at 14. I must not have read that article completely. My apologies.

I still firmly believe that bikes can be quite reselient but for street use here is what I would do:
Strip all body work off and visually inspect for frame cracks especially around the steering head and rear subframe.
Inspect brake components for cracks or other damage
Tidy up the wiring and see if you can sort out what goes where.

I've sent off an email to my nephew that lives over in Sevierville to see if he knows of any bike salvage places in the area or a local bike shop may be able to direct you to one. We have a couple of salvage lots here, one in Stamford and one in Greenville that would have the parts you need at a reasonable price. Might be a great time to turn it into a supermoto or hooligan type bike if you are so inclined!

Best of luck to ya.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #21

Ouch, very glad you walked away, seen street bikes with less damage and folks not walk away, broke bikes better than broken bones, musta had the biker angel ridin along. RPM brought up a good point, culcune could use the cabbage toward a new bike and you could slap your engine right in or vicea versa. Think it over either way one gets a bike with spare parts and one gets cash.

Or like Ferrit said, do the stuff like me and my budies as teenagers used to if ya just gonna dirt ride, get a five foot peice of iron pipe straighten everything out ya can, get someone to take ya to a bike swap meet that has jap bike parts, get used levers that are close, a head light and a jap front wheel that you can use spacers to line it up. Oh and a couple washers to shim the front caliper, if ya take some of the junk parts like the wheel, axle, rotor and the levers to try and match em up. Swap meets and riggin things are fun, thats how I kept my triumph running and my first hd.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #22

Dang PB, I think we went to the same school!!! Had an old aMeriachi HD 350 that probably had a piece from every known bike manufacturer on it.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #23

LOL yea growin up in the 70s-80s with only my dad workin as a bricklayer, there wasn't much money for new parts let alone new bikes. Heck I was 12 (the old red neck thinkin, the boy will grow into it, 360cc ????) and the old man bought me a 73 Yamadawg DT 360 enduro I had more fun on that old metal tanked metal fender peice of junk, but with some redneck knowledge and plastic parts from other bikes, and sprocket changes it was a cool ride. LOL maybe thats why I got into hd's, the joy of makin somethin cool outta somethin that starts out a rat. Sounds like we woulda been riddin together if we were in the same vicinity, I was gonna say neighborhood but I grew up surrounded by dairy farms.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #24

Good Lord glad your OK!! Save your pennies and use that one for a donor and get another Lifan GY-5 ouch Baby very ouch!(Austin Powers)

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 02-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #25

Motor-driven Cycle (Class M Limited)

The license is valid for four years. You must:

Be at least age 14
Operate only two or three-wheeled vehicles with no more than 125 cc cylinders
Operate only between 4 a.m. and 8 p.m. (if between the ages of 14 and 16)
Operate only within seven miles of your home (if between the ages of 14 and 16)
Comply with the restrictions set forth by the Examiner (if 16 or older)

[url]http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/motorcycle-license.php[url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrit
I meant no disrespect Ant but I thought TN had done away with the motorcycle license at 14. I must not have read that article completely. My apologies.

I still firmly believe that bikes can be quite reselient but for street use here is what I would do:
Strip all body work off and visually inspect for frame cracks especially around the steering head and rear subframe.
Inspect brake components for cracks or other damage
Tidy up the wiring and see if you can sort out what goes where.

I've sent off an email to my nephew that lives over in Sevierville to see if he knows of any bike salvage places in the area or a local bike shop may be able to direct you to one. We have a couple of salvage lots here, one in Stamford and one in Greenville that would have the parts you need at a reasonable price. Might be a great time to turn it into a supermoto or hooligan type bike if you are so inclined!

Best of luck to ya.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
I've seen older honda's with trashed motors go for little of nothing, keep your eye out, just recently an xr 200 here locally sold for $125 with a blown motor.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #27

i unpluged all the wires of everything that was broken will take a pic tomorrow after school

Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #28

do yall think a yamaha fender would fit?? i think it would be better because its not that stiff plastic and it flexis

Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #29

Ant, is the yamaha fender free? try it, may just take a couple new holes, and if the other ones show fill em with some kinda body filler and rough the fender and paint it. Do they still make moto fox fenders? hmmmmm is that dating myself? the body parts and stuff isn't as critical as the wheels, forks and frame. Like the head light and fairing you might be able to take some other brands parts and just drill some holes or add a bracket or something. Try experimenting with some of it, and ask everyone questions here. Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Hey ya might find you enjoy messin with your bike so much, you could be the next Indian Larry or Billy Lane.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:51 AM   #30

14 yrs old and your on the street, 125 or less? In some states your a moving target, in FLA your a bullseye for some nice little old lady with white hair to mow you down in her super cage Impala.. 14 is too young...Sorry, I'm sure others agree...