Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #76

Finally took the plunge...

Hello,

I have been lurking, reading the threads. Thanks to the information in this thread and elsewhere on China Riders, I just ordered a new, in-the-crate, 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200. My bike is being delivered with the street tires. Can anyone tell me, where is a good place to buy the knobbie tires? Thanks for all you help.

Spud

Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #77

You can try www.americanmototire.com , but I don't know if they have the size you need.

Allen

Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #78

Parts update...

Just wanted to share my experience with Zongshen America, and the ability to obtain spares for the Sierra 200.

Started on the 8 July when I placed an email requesting the necessary parts for my bike. Handlebar and gear shift foot lever bent when she fell off the side stand (i didnt lock it down properly).

14 July parts were shipped via DHL to me, had to travel so didnt get the package until the 18th.

20th, bike repaired to 100% working order, and I am back on the road.

My fears of not having a source for parts was a big concern when purchasing the bike, so its a real comfort to know that I can email the importer in Miami, send a parts request, and can expect my parts with 10days, overnight delivery internationally, I live in the Bahamas, not the USA.

Now, I have the time to start my exhaust project, to change out to the FMF pipe.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #79

Zongshen ZS125-43

Not really a dual-sport, but this little bike, being a modern version of a Honda Cub and bought at a knock down price of 895 euros as they can´t sell them in Spain due to its ugliness, is , for me, the bargain of the century.
Incredible specification including a sewing-machine smooth, automatic clutch 125 cc engine, fairing and chain enclosure, USD forks, remote reservoir rear shocks, double disc brakes, two carriers, gear indicator, rear box, centre and side stands, electric and kickstart and even things like a mobile phone call indicator light...
It has the odd styling feature, like the exhaust is shaped like a two-stroke expansion chamber, although it's a 4-stroke.

Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #80

Re: Zongshen ZS125-43

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
It has the odd styling feature, like the exhaust is shaped like a two-stroke expansion chamber, although it's a 4-stroke.
Those four stroke exhausts styled to look like two stroke exhausts seem to be all the rage in China/Indonesia/Malaysia/Thailand.

tcs

Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #81

First 37 Km Report

My 2006 Zongshen Sierra arrived six days ago, but my mechanic friend and I were both out of town until last evening. Therefore, we waited until today to assemble my motorcycle.

This afternoon I contacted the County Sheriff’s Office and arranged for a Vehicle Identification Number inspection. Thirty minutes after I called the sheriff, a deputy arrived at my friend’s shop and completed the VIN Inspection.

I then traveled to my Idaho County Assessor’s office. I presented the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO), a bill of sale, and the completed Vehicle Identification Number Inspection form. After ten minutes of paperwork I left the office with my license plate, vehicle registration and off-road sticker. May God bless the great, free, Western State of Idaho! I then went to my insurance agent and got Cadillac coverage for the Zongshen for a mere $50 every six months!

After work my friend uncrated the bike, and he assembled it while I assisted. Everything went smoothly, with one exception; we had to make a longer cable to replace the original cable going from the solenoid to the positive terminal of the battery.

When the battery was placed in its under-seat container with the terminals fore, a plastic projection from the battery extended over the bike’s frame. This projection prevented us from replacing the seat onto the motorcycle. Therefore, we rotated the battery 180 degrees, and placed it into its container with the battery terminals aft. The plastic projection now extended to the left, and we could replace the seat. The negative battery cable was long enough, but my friend needed to create a new, longer battery cable to reach the positive terminal.

After we made several test rides, I rode the bike away from the shop. I was enjoying myself so much that I continued riding for a total of 37 kilometers this evening.

At this point I am very pleased with my new Zongshen. The electric start works great; the bike starts easily and quickly every time. The gearbox shifts smoothly, and I have no trouble whatsoever finding neutral when the bike is stopped. The engine is smooth and responsive. I weigh 230 pounds, and I can easily get the bike to reach 60 mph on level ground. The brakes work great, as do the turn signals. The headlight on this motorcycle is superb!

When I get my new digital camera I will post some pictures. I am still awaiting the arrival of my DOT knobby tires before I take the bike off-road.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #82

" I left the office with my license plate"

That has got to be a better feeling than the day you received the bike. It sure was for me. For me the licence plate changes garage clutter into a motorcycle.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #83

IronFist wrote, "That has got to be a better feeling than the day you received the bike. It sure was for me. For me the licence plate changes garage clutter into a motorcycle."

Amen.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #84

Enjoy your Zong Spud! I have about 520+miles on my Sierra now and fully enjoying the bike...Congrats on your purchase

Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 AM   #85

Thank you, bex!

I went for a little road trip this evening, about sixty miles out and back. After I returned home, I rode around town a little bit. All told, I probably traveled about 140 miles.

Today I found that I could cruise all day at 60 mph, and I even pegged the speedometer at 72 mph on several occasions.

I really enjoy the gearbox on this bike. Shifting is always reliable, and I never have problems finding neutral.

If the other vendor ever sends me the knobby tires I ordered, I plan to go off-road. The Cheng Shin Barracuda tires that came with my bike are very nice for the street, but I really don't want to take them into the dirt.

I have found that I especially enjoy riding the Zong while exploring town after dark. The headlamp and turn signals on this bike are excellent.

However, I do wish the fuel tank were larger. I had to go onto the reserve tank this evening when I temporarily forgot my plans to fuel up. :oops:

Spud :wink:

Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #86

Yeah...reserve caught me off guard once or twice as well. I currently get about 150-160miles on a tank and often have to adjust my routes to ensure I can top off prior to an enroute shutdown to switch to the reserve tank (hell its not a KLR with a 6.1Gal tank) wishing it was a bit better but cie la vie...One thing is certain, I love my Zong, but the KLR is my next bike purchase!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #87

Send a message via MSN to max_damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_damage
I own a Zongshen 200gy-2 (supermoto).
So far 10 000km, not a single problem
Here are the pics
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=7791
WOW thats what i wanted to hear!! someone that has a Sierra... what kind of speeds have you've seen with this bad boy?
max 120 km/h
Is that at a constant speed or just peaking out?? And any kind of mods?
Well, peaking out. Constant speed is about 105 km/h

Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #88

Max,

Thanks for posting the great photos of your Zong! Please tell us more about the modifications you made on your taillight and turn signals. Also, what is the name and model number for your replacement mirrors? Do they work well? Where do you get them, and how much do they cost?

Spud

Old 08-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #89

Send a message via MSN to max_damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Max,

Thanks for posting the great photos of your Zong! Please tell us more about the modifications you made on your taillight and turn signals. Also, what is the name and model number for your replacement mirrors? Do they work well? Where do you get them, and how much do they cost?

Spud
Well, Led stop light i bought from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110203234472

Turn signals from here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-PAIRS-4X-MOTORC...713.m153.l1262

Mirrors from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...spagenameZWDVW
You need to buy 8mm fine thread

Mirrors are kind of short and small, i need to buy a bigger ones.

bye[/url]

Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #90

How does the LED taillight work?

I may add one for additional brakelight visability.

Allen