Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #1

Question for Hi Bird/Richardo/Komoto 250 Owner

I've 2000 miles on the bike, and eversince around 500 miles, I've been hearing a tapping sound from the engine. The sound is very faint, so it can only be heard during idle with the gear in neutral. I'm sure it's not the valve. I believe it is coming from the lower end of the engine/transmission block. Also, it seems to be getting louder. Do other Hi Bird/Komoto/Richardo 250 owner have this issue?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

nothing like that from mine.I only have 600 miles on it .

2007 HI-BIRD 250
2007 Vbike V4S 250

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #3

Nothing like that on mine at 2600 miles

Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #4

Mine sounds normal at about 1500 miles.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #5

800 miles on mine and i know the noise your talking about. its when its cold right? and if you pull in the clutch it gets alot worse, but if you shift into first it shuts right up?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakembakem
800 miles on mine and i know the noise your talking about. its when its cold right? and if you pull in the clutch it gets alot worse, but if you shift into first it shuts right up?
Yes, my bike has that cold noise that you described above. However, it also has a hot noise. When the engine is hot (like, after a long ride), there is a slight tapping sound. I didn't notice it until a friend pointed it out. His theory is that the electric starter is making the noise. I guess I should try to run without the e-starter. But, then, there will be a gapping hole.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #7

e starters do not make that noise. that sound is comming from something that has a excessive gap hence why the bike only makes the sound after a cold start.

Start the engine cold, use a long screwdriver and plug it aginst your ear. touch the case at the clutch with the other end of the screwdriver and then move towards the crankshaft. "works like a stethoscope" wherever the noise is comming from is your problem.

it sounds to me as if you have a bearing going bad. If that is the problem all you can do is go with a heavier weight oil.

It might be clutch chatter which is harmless for the most part. But I have not seen many new wet clutch bikes with clutch chatter.

since you still have really low miles on your machine I have to ask how hard have you ridden the machine?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #8

I ride 100% street. I generally take it easy. However, sometimes, I'll go nuts on it, like WOT from stop light to stop light. I've also gone on the hiway a few times--30 minute trips of 65 MPH.

Let me clarify, also. When the engine cold, the sound is squeaky-like. When the engine is hot, the sound is tapping-like.