Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #16

Did a quick adjustment of the needle and the screw on the right side and runs like a champ now!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
let us know if moving the c-clip works out for you...

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
let us know if moving the c-clip works out for you...
Yes, I did adjust the c-clip. I moved it one space down towards the pointy end of the needle.

Run good, but I think it is still staving for fuel with the new airfilter, so i might move it down to the last one and test that out.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
I have my c-clip all of the way to the pointy end and then had to adjust the carb.
Picture:
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=1092

Back it out (counter clockwise) 1/2 turn at a time. Go ride and adjust again.

It starts right up and winds up like a clock now!
No problems riding in the rain. I does take some oil just like the stock.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #20

I saw that but didnt' want to mess with it, guess I will pay around with it sometime soon.

So if I feel it is starving for fuel sit, should I just adjust that screw, or move it down another notch, then adjust that screw?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #21

Be careful with these pod filters, guys. Most are sized for much smaller bikes. There are better ways to go.

Surely you dont think that the Chinese designed a whole new air filter for these bikes? Post up some pix of a stock air filter, lets find out what "Big 3" bike they took the design from. Then you can get good aftermarket filters.

One of the little tricks I do to use a free flowing pod filter AND get the protection of the air box is to get a length of clear vinyl hose almost big enough to fit the carb. Heat it, force it on, hose clamp it. Remove or modify the air horn between the carb and air box, run the vinyl tube into the air box and install the pod in there.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #22

The pod filters provide MORE then enough air. They flow way better then the stock airbox, that's why it leans them out. Correct jetting and carb adjustments and the pod is WAY better then a stock airbox.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #23

Hint: Pod filters are common on machines 100cc and under. They are unheard of on machines 250cc and larger. The only reason pods are fitting these 200s is because they have a small carb, one also found on smaller machines.

But, a 200cc motor processes twice the amount of air of a 100...

You want good airflow, good filtration and enough surface area that the filter isnt quickly clogged by drawing too much air through to small a surface. Pods will not provide this. Even if the pod provides good filtration, it will clog quickly because of the small surface area. Then you wont be running lean, it will be rich, and dragging dirt through the pod as the engine strains to get air.

I would bet I have been playing this game for longer than you have been alive.

Post pix. If there is a cage, pix of it too. I would also bet that there is a high quality aftermarket filter out there, just waiting for somome to figure out it fits.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #24

Geez man, take a breath. For starters, just because your OLD doesn't mean you know jack SH!T about anything. I've run these K&N type filters (you might be confusing what we are talking about when we say POD) on every bike I have ever owned. My 900 Ninja, 600 FZR and FJ1100 crotch rockets all had these filters (K&N calls them filter chargers) and they ALL produced more power with the pods vs stock airbox. Let's see 1100cc's divided by 4 cylinders = 275cc per filter. Well that bike made 160 RWHP with these filters and jetting (+3) with F1 slipons. So I would say they are MOST DEFINATELY suited for any application. BTW these filters have no cage. You are thinking of the OLD foam filters that have a plastic cage inside. That's not what we're talking about here. These have NO cage they are an oil soaked cotton media suspended in between two screens. They have nearly NO restriction and filter better then ANY stock foam airbox filter. Times are a changing, get with the technology. :!: This is what we are refering to:

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #25

Talk about taking a breath...

If these pods are so great, why dont I ever see them at enduros? At hare scrambles? At MX tracks? On trail rides?

The laws of physics dont pause for china bikes or any others. Perhaps your crotch rocket pods have the proper surface area and filtration for road use, and space to mount them. On small bikes and offroad bikes, frame constraints make available pods too small for larger bikes.

K&N makes a fine filter, but I would never use one offroad. Free flow comes at a cost, less filtration. Fine for the road, not for offroad.

Just cuz you ride a crotch rocket doesnt mean you know sh*t either, bud.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #26

OK, well then lets take my DIRT modified racecar. It runs 600HP out of a 11:1 358 Chevy V8 at 8500 rpm. Hey guess what it uses for a filter? A k&N. Hey guess what we all use at the dirt track. Bingo, you win a prize. Or take my buddy who races a YZ250F, and taken several track championships on it. Yup, K&N pod type filter. Both on dirt race tracks, both increased HP and both proved longer engine life. And for the record, less restriction absolutely does not need to = less filtration. Do you even have a China enduro? I have enough room under my seat for 5 of these. The stock airbox is the size of a small microwave. Do some research on dirt racing. See how many teams use stock airboxes and how many use these type of filters.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #27

Most dirt racers use K&N pod filters, they just replace them after every race, having a sponsor allows you to do that.. I had a pod filter on my 883 sportster and it ran great, just needed a little more maintanance as far as keeping it clean and oiled... I've seen guys drill holes in their airboxes to get the same effect as a pod.. More air, more gas=bigger bang...

Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
Hay! be nice to old people. I have raced motorcycles, worked in motorcycle shops, had a hella lot of motorcycles, and added K&N's to every bike theyed fit on. and some day do the Vivas too.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #29

Perhaps some one could be so kind as to explain how one given filter that is high flow gives the same filtration as one of equivalent size "non high flow" filter.

The air gets through more easily, why is that? Could it be that the pores of the foam are larger? If so, how do they stop the grit from passing through?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

And to answer the question, I have no china bike, I have a Honda repowered with a Lifan engine, soon a Z50 repowered with a Lifan engine, and a dozen other offroad machines, that operate in a very dusty environment unless it has rained fairly recently. My oldest machine, an '83 CR480, never been bored, never been run with a dirty filter...or a pod.

In 30+ years of offroad motorcycle racing and riding, I have never seen a pod on anything larger than a 100cc.

IMHO, if you want safe filtration and high flow, find the largest UNI {or other known brand} foam filter that will fit your airbox, preferably one that uses an interior cage. The cage is an important part of the flow, it allows a volume of calm filtered air to reside behind the filter, ready to be sucked in by the intake pulse. The larger the caged area, the larger the volume readily available, instead of having to be drawn through the filter.

Keep that filter clean and oiled properly. Enjoy.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlunt
I have my c-clip all of the way to the pointy end and then had to adjust the carb.
Picture:
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=1092

Back it out (counter clockwise) 1/2 turn at a time. Go ride and adjust again.

It starts right up and winds up like a clock now!
No problems riding in the rain. I does take some oil just like the stock.
Update:

I went ahead and moved the c-clip all the way down towards the pointy end of the needle, stuck it back it. It started up but was giving it waaaay too much fuel, so I messed with the screw that is linked in the above post. After messing around with that for about 10 min and th eright side screw, I got it back to normal idle and the throttle response is somewhat better I think.

So when you add a pod filter, move that c-clip all the way down!