Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #16

When I'm on a quad and headed down a hill I will always favor the high side of the machine for most all braking.

The high side being the end of the machine closer to the top of the hill.

The last thing I want to do is lock the low side tires which tends to cause a loss of control and a very real possibility of a flip.

I will on occasion use a small amount of low side bracking to scrub off speed or for a path correction.

I personally would never reverse gear down a long steep hill that I failed to climb.

I hate backing a quad or any machine down a hill and will try to find a safe turn around if I cant make it up.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #17

This is all great info. I wish I had researched this before the crash.

There was a lot of discussion about engine braking. My ATV is an automatic, and the engine disconnects from the wheels at idle. I realize now that this is a disadvantage.

I found a safety couse outline at www.atvsafety.org which had this helpful tidbit on what to do if you lose your momentum and come to a stop going up a steep hill:

"[Quote]"

* Keep your weight uphill and apply the brakes
to come to a stop. Never allow the ATV to roll
backward.
* Apply the parking brake while keeping your
weight uphill.
* Dismount on the uphill side or to a side
if pointed straight uphill, and follow the
procedures described in your owner’s
manual
* Do not attempt to ride backward down a hill.
Should you begin rolling backward, do not apply
the rear brake abruptly. Using the rear brake
only or abruptly could cause the ATV to roll over
backward.

"[Unquote]"

Consult owner's manual? What owner's manual? Does anybody's owner's manual have pertinent info on how to handle this situation?

I guess there is no solution for going backwards down a hill. That's what got me into trouble. I saw the nasty bump. I stopped. It looked dangerous. I could back 100 yards down the steep trail or proceed. I proceeded. Bad move.

New rule for me: If the trail is not wide enough to turn around, and I can't see to the next safe turn around point, I don't go.

My leg is still messed up a bit though is certainly much better. Most of the purple is gone and it looks not too bad in the morning. After walking around on it all day it is pretty swollen and angry looking, though not very painful. I'm going to ride this weekend, but I'll take it easy.

Lynn Edwards

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #18

Sometimes you get in bad situations and have to do things you normally would consider pretty stupid, but at the time, it's the thing to do . . .

When you're in a bad spot, don't try to play "woulda coulda shoulda", just try to figure out the best thing for the present situation and after it's over with, then figure what would have been good to do.

I have revisited spots where I have left a little blood in the mud and oftentimes I saw where a better track would have made all the difference.

Something else I have learned is that when you feel your machine going, oftentimes a little burst of power will get you over a bad spot and on to safer ground -- it is tempting to stop when you feel the machine start to tip or flip, but just getting another couple of feet will sometimes save you.

Look at it this way, you're going over, so what do you have to lose by goosing it a little ?

Luke, 11: 21

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #19

Despite what the safety course is saying sometimes you have no choice but to back down a hill. I've ascended steep hills in the past, missed a shift, and found myself 10 feet short of the top. You can't turnaround, and you definitely can't make it to the top. A controlled backwards descent is you're only option. It's scary but sometimes there is no alternative.

Of course the safety course will tell you to never climb steep hills. :roll:

I'm not dissing safety courses, but with respect to motorcycles and ATV's I think there is a bit of disconnect between course material and the real world.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 09-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #20

FB, you got that right, the book and the classes all seem to think the machines are only gonna be driven on "Frostian Roads In Yellow Woods" and all the rider has to be concerned with is which diverging trail to take -- the reality, as you pointed out, is somewhat different.

One significant pointer I can offer is when you MUST back down, NEVER NEVER, use the rear, or 'down-hill' brake -- use instead the front, or upper brake.

It would also be nice if the mfgs would offer a selection of front wheel drive ONLY for those situations where you are stuck in an uphill position and the use of rear drive makes the tendency to flip worse.

If a person did have front drive only, they could let the machine ease down backwards, and use the throttle to aid in keeping a straight track or to slow the machine.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #21

Well at least the controversy that I started, ended with more riders doing more research on the subject. From what I understood about the situation, I would have backed down. (donning nomex now) 8O

LynnEdwards, I am sorry for trying to advise you of something that I would have attempted :oops: I have learned from this too...Not all riders share the same skills and experience :wink: I am glad to hear, you made the effort to do further research on riding on steep grades...Soon you will be sharing you knowledge with others

And thanks to everyone who made this little debate possible.

Respectfully,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #22

I've ridden automatic machines before and I found them to be scary on the slopes. No engine breaking requires even better front/rear breaks and a light touch. To make it worse, such machines usually weigh a tonne ***cough***Polaris***cough***.

I'll stick to my light, manual tranny, manual clutch ATV's thank you very much.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #23

I have read where members state, "Don't do what I do." When a technique might be dangerous. That's the smart way to give risky advice, Tiger.

Like "I put the bike in gear to wipe the excess oil from a chain"(DON'T do what I do :wink: )

Please be careful how advice is given. Newer members are reading and developing habits that they will have for life.

I use "I do NOT recommend doing doing this, but this is what I did in that situation."

I don't tell people the safe way to do things. I write that I do it this way, it may be different for you. Or, my instructructor said, "no steel toed boots". Or, My mechanic said "never push a wrench, always pull a wrench." Giving advice comes with responsibility. Please be careful.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #24

Yer right, IF, I suppose that most people think that everyone else is almost as smart as they are, and if the other person will only take this little bit of advice, then they will be just as smart as the rest of us . . .

Even at 76 years, I still tend to keep the nasty and dangerous habit of believing what others say, and if someone said that their mileage would double if they keep a pink and green polka-dot tennis ball in the glove box, then, I assure you, the next odd-colored tennis ball I come across will pique my interest . . .

Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwun
Yer right, IF, I suppose that most people think that everyone else is almost as smart as they are, and if the other person will only take this little bit of advice, then they will be just as smart as the rest of us . . .

Even at 76 years, I still tend to keep the nasty and dangerous habit of believing what others say, and if someone said that their mileage would double if they keep a pink and green polka-dot tennis ball in the glove box, then, I assure you, the next odd-colored tennis ball I come across will pique my interest . . .
Thanks Winwun. I think that you aren't the only one. I think a mistake could be made when people are just joking around. Like if someone said," I use top grade ATF motor oil :P

The Razz is suposed to be a joke, but when thousands of newbie visiters to the site read it, I bet at least 1 guy is going to go and buy ATF and fill up his motor.
That forces me to really watch how I say things. :oops:

Old 09-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #26

My name says it all!!!!