Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

Was a great experience...

but I could not refuse the offer for my Zongshen Sierra 200. I was offered $3000USD for the bike, and basically, it put me up about $900 from my purchase.

Sold it with 627 miles on the frame.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum for what each of you contribute to this community. Its really an invaluable resource and there is always something to learn when I stop by.

The Zong got me back into motorcycling after a long time, and my first bike that I personally owned. I think now, I have enough to spring for a KLR650 and not feel too guilty about my spending.

Thanks again guys! Ride safely and have fun!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #2

I don't blame you a bit. That's too good to pass up.

Don't be a stranger.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

OMG, lucky you!!!! I'm actually thinking about buying a second hand crf 250, i'm beggining to think my skyteam will terribly fail sometime and hurt me.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #4

You could be scared that all the oxygen on the planet will fall through the ozone layer, or the sun will implode, or the sugary snacks will cause diabetes, or that lump is cancer....

My hope is I don't die squirming in a hospital bed... :roll:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #5

Wow great deal, I would have sold it in a heartbeat also. Stick around let us know how the KLr does for ya.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #6

I really like riding the KLR too. The bike seems to fit my size better.

I rode the GY2 today and it felt tiny.

Allen

Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I really like riding the KLR too. The bike seems to fit my size better.

I rode the GY2 today and it felt tiny.

Allen
I saw a post about you babysitting a klr and now I can't find it. so I will post this here.

If you are thinking that the klr is a tad heavy you should try the klx I find the bikes weight and all around balance better and more flickable. it has more offroad capability and packs about 8 more hp than the klr. I have not verified top speed because I have only had it into 3rd gear, 4th gear seems to lug a little at 55 miles per hour.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #8

LOL....its true you can get hurt on any bike, in fact the pricier bikes can cause most damage given the speeds they travel and the heavier weights etc...China bikes are cheap on gas have great mobility and Im pretty sure wont spantaneously combust, not to mention there cheaply priced, they require a fair bit more regular maintenance than other bikes but think of how bad a rider you would be if you had 0 repair skills and rode a Ducati, China bikes are great for beginners who want to learn how to maintain and keep a bike properly in function.like me.....
Although thats a fair bit of profit on the Zongshen.good for you!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #9

The weight of the KLR is not much of a problem when moving just when I need to manuver it out of the shed and things. I can't quite flat foot it. So a 1/2-1" lowing kit would be about perfect.

The KLX is nice, but the street appeal of the KLR is more what I need.

Allen

Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #10

Hey guys looks like I have been struck by good fortune, found a used 2008 KLR 650 for $4300 in South Florida, only has 2517miles on it, never laid down, but taken off-road...IM GONNA GO FOR IT!!!

Wish me luck brothers! All depends on Hurricane Ike to pass by then I should be golden...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #11

that is a good deal man, My sister paid 3,500 for her 2003 klr, it had about 3,800 miles, but I think the reason hers was 3,500 was it had a lowering kit on it to bring it down to a 30" seat.

Just a side note, if you are going to get it lowered you might want to think of a cleaver way to build a bash plate for the rear shock, I have seen my sis's bike and it seems to hang down quite a bit below the scraper plate, wouldn't want to see the bike go over a log and mess up the suspension.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #12

Thanks for the heads up on the lowering kit, I'm vertically challenged at 5'8" so, it may be a struggle to flat foot it.

As a caveat, I have ridden a KTM 640 Super Duke, hated the bike, but could easily manage to maneuver it, hope this KLR is almost the same logistically.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #13

Great buy on that bike.

I may be able to buy the 2001 KLR that I am bike sitting this winter. The owner is getting ready to upgrade.

Allen

Old 09-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex
Hey guys looks like I have been struck by good fortune, found a used 2008 KLR 650 for $4300 in South Florida, only has 2517miles on it, never laid down, but taken off-road...IM GONNA GO FOR IT!!!

Wish me luck brothers! All depends on Hurricane Ike to pass by then I should be golden...
Watch out if it's one of the early 2008's as they had issues with oil burning. Most of them should have already been fixed under warranty by now, but it's just something to be aware of.

You can get a new DR 650 for a couple of hundred more. It's lighter, has more power, has no doo-hickey to break and can be lowered without buying anything extra. Plus it's easy to bump the power up to about 55hp... Ride both bike before you lay out any money, I thought the KLR was more like a tractor than a motorcycle, the low end vibes were terrible while the DR is pretty smooth in comparison.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #15

I don't believe the 08 model has the doohicky problem anymore.

Allen