Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

Need new gas line for 2007 200GY-5

I had to replace my gas petcock and I messed up the gas line in the process. I tried using a couple of different generic sizes I got at AutoZone, but if they fit, I always got a leak at the carb end, even though the clip there seems to be tight.

I bought it from the guys that run rabbit scooters, and they haven't been very helpful when it comes to parts. I've found other sites with lifan parts, but no gas lines.

Does anyone know where I can get an oem gas line, or any suggestions on how to get the generic ones to work?

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

I bought a few feet from the local Ace hardware. It is 5/16" in diameter.
I don't use the metal clamps, but small zip (wire) ties instead. I have
never had any leaks. Hope this helps...

Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #3

Cool, I'll give that a try. When you say zip (wire) ties, is that like a plastic zip tie, but is made out of wire instead of plastic?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #4

Like ImEazy, I replaced the factory vacuum line with real fuel line also. I got mine from the crooks at NAPA Auto Parts :evil:

I've had no leaks since!

If you tried several different sizes, and THEY ALL LEAK, you might want to start looking for damage at the carburetor inlet pipe...perhapse it may be cracked.

There is not a lot of pressure in that fuel line, and a finger snug fit should be enough to prevent leakage. the clamp is just to keep the hose in place.

BTW, why did you have to change the shut-off valve?

Keep us posted,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #5

I use the plastic ones. All they have to do is keep the hose from coming
off the nipple of the inlet or outlet. Here's a pic to give you an idea.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #6

Ok, have finally been able to get back to this. Tiger, I had to replace the petcock as the one that came with it started leaking due to a bent metal ring inside it. I tried several sizes of rubber o-ring in there, but those didn't work.

Now that I look closer, it's not leaking where the hose meets the carb. If you are on the left side of the bike looking at the carb, there is a brass pin coming out of the carb about an inch to the left of where the hose meets the carb. This is where it is leaking at a pretty significant stream. My thought was that the float/valve aren't shutting off the flow and the gas is rising until it finally leaks out at the lowest point it can.

I took the float bowl off, held the float with my finger to what I would think is level and turned on the gas. I held it like this for quite some time, and there were no leaks coming out from the brass pin. If I let the float slightly below level, the gas would start coming out of the valve. Based on this, I think my diagnosis is correct. What do you think?

If I'm right, I want to be sure of the fix before I take the carb all the way out. Can the float be adjusted so that it shuts off at a lower position? Maybe the float has lost buoyancy somehow and should be replaced. Maybe something else?

Thanks all.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #7

All floats that I know of have a way to adjust the level...and the preferred method is to do it "on the bench"... so I would be prepare to take the carb off the bike anyways!

I am not really the carb expert here and my observations are based on other member's knowledge base. I have adjusted float bowls before, just not on your particular bike!..Hopefully someone more knowledgable will pitch in 8)

Can you "re-bend" the metal ring to the proper shape?

BTW, Which diagnosis are you referring too?:

"I took the float bowl off, held the float with my finger to what I would think is level and turned on the gas. I held it like this for quite some time, and there were no leaks coming out from the brass pin. If I let the float slightly below level, the gas would start coming out of the valve. Based on this, I think my diagnosis is correct. What do you think?"

A picture is worth a thousand words! Do you have access to a digital camera?

Thanks for your patience,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #8

The bent ring is not an issue anymore, got a new petcock and that is working just fine.

Now the issue is the leaking carb. by my diagnosis, I mean that I think the float/valve isn't shutting off the flow and it's eventually leaking. I lost the rechargeable battery on my camera, so can't take pics.

Ok, I'm going to take the carb off check the float/valve.

Thanks for the info., I'll report back when I'm done.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #9

I'm no pro, but I'd recheck the float valve. :wink:

Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #10

I finally got back to this and fixed it. Based on what I found, I could see others having this issue, so I thought I'd do a final post with my findings.

My carb was leaking near the top, so I took it off and did some investigation. There was debris up in the tube where the gas comes down and the valve that's connected to the float sits. There were 2 little pieces of tubular metal in there, they looked like bits of mechanical pencil lead. They were blocking the cone at the top of the valve, preventing it from sealing, and causing the carb to leak. I got them out of there and it works fine now.

I'm wondering if somehow these bits broke off of the new petcock I installed and made their way down there. Or maybe they were in the carb all along and finally got down in there. Could have been in the gas too, but I doubt that one.

Anyway, anyone with a carb leak, give this a thought.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #11

Thanks for the follow-up :wink:

It's hard to speculate what the foreign material is without getting "up close, and personal" for a close examination. It could have been introduced during the fuel valve R&R, but it could also be "chop sticks tips" left by a complacent factory worker... 8O

Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.