Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #1

GY5 swing arm mod

The GY5 has a design flaw that causes the chain to be pulled tighter and tighter as the rear suspension is compressed. Consequently the chain has to be adjusted very loose, 3.25" of play with no weight on the bike, which in turn causes a lot of slop in the drive train. Most or all other motorcycles have a different geometry so the chain gets looser as the suspension is compressed.

Today I removed the engine, swing arm, air box, etc.. and fixed the problem on my 07 GY5. The fix involved moving the swing arm pivot bolt down .5".

First I welded steel plugs into the existing holes. I then added more metal to the bottom of the flange that supports the swing arm bolt and drilled new holes exactly 1/2" lower. After grinding things flat I painted it to match the existing silver color and reassembled.

The result is that I can adjust the chain to 10mm play with no weight on the bike. Instead of the chain getting tighter as the suspension compresses, it gets slightly looser like other bikes. The slop in the drive train is gone and the drive is smoother and quieter.

My conclusion is that the Lifan factory should improve the design by moving the swing arm pivot hole lower by 3/8" to 1/2".

Q

Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #2

Did you tell "Super Dave" at A.L.?

Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

There is no way you could have improved that setup.Just ask the reps at the American Lifan forum.It is the best it can be, btw we can sell you parts......................someday. :roll:

Old 10-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #4

I posted the recommendation that the pivot be moved down on the Lifan Forum last year. Also posted about actually doing it yesterday in the Mods section. It's such a simple change that won't cost anything, you would think the factory would have done it by now.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertamer
Did you tell "Super Dave" at A.L.?

Tigertamer

Old 10-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #5

I'm sure A.L. is very thankful to you and everything but they are still going to break your rice bowl for speaking up to them.They would have caught anyway....once they actually have an engineer there that starts working on these bikes.

A.L. will first ask this question :will improving the bike increase sales ? and what will the improvement cost ? will anybody really notice ?
(they're thinking: drilling the hole in a slighty different spot sounds to expensive and dull----forget about it----up production.....)

Old 10-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #6

Here's a picture.

Q

Old 10-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #7

Cool great mod idea thanks for the pic!
I fixed the html so the pic loads on this page

Old 10-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #8

boy, you guys sure are tuff on american lifan :wink:
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #9

That is some nice and simple work to get the swingarm set right, good work Q.

So what is really needed is a kit.
A kit that has a legal, registerable frame that is actually functional and sturdy and properly setup.
A cycle kit that you can put various china bike and other assorted parts onto to make a very decent bike once its all together.

I still think putting a new chinese engine into an old honda frame and resurrecting the bike is far better than buying a new china bike.(JMO)

Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #10

Forum Usage Guidelines

Quote:
Derogatory comments against Chinese bikes

One of the reasons behind this site was to create a friendly forum for China bike riders to discuss their machines. Too many other forums descended into name calling between Chinese motorcycle owners and their detractors. If you don't like Chinese motorcycles for whatever reason (perceived quality issues, owners are commies, blah blah blah...) that's your perogative. If your sole purpose her is to remind members how superior your (Honda, Husky, KTM, etc...) is and how crappy our rides are then please move on. I'm sure thumpertalk.com would love to have you.

Closed Thread