Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #46

I have been lurking since 2006 when I first considered buying a 200cc Roketa. I have modified my bike a bit, especially after bending the swingarm jumping (rather high--5' plus a bit). I went the R1 shock route, but really a higher rate spring is needed for off road use--but it is an excellent shock otherwise. I want to clear up something that Red2003 keeps mentioning, and I mean no disprespect becuase I admire his fab skills quite a bit. The travel with the stock linkage and the r-1 shock is almost 8". My linkage is the same as Red2003's and I measured it many times very carefully before I went thru the trouble of changing out the shock. So, I believe that he is incorrect by quite a bit when he says the stock linkage is only capable of 3-4" of travel before binding. With the R-1 shock, my swingarm angle (unloaded on the side stand) is greater than the angle of the passenger peg mount (the aluminum one) and I scrape the rear tire on the rear fender all the time jumping(unfortunately) and the linkage still does not bind--the bumpstop is where the travel is getting restricted (and the fender of course). I have wanted to make my observations known for a long time, and since the rear suspension issue comes up again and again, I want to get this out to the forum that has been so helpful to me over the last 2 yrs. And Red, dont flame me before you get your measuring tape out again.

Kevin

Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #47

This remains an interesting subject!!

Wayne does that mean that at the bottom of your shock the clevis is pivoting on the bolts rather than on a bush or bearing? A standard clevis mount would normally bolt tight onto a spacer / sleave that moves inside a bearing. If pivoting only on the bolts will it wear quickly??

With respect to Kevin's first post as I mentioned 4 inches of travel on my bike with the CBR shock is limited by the shock not the linkage - plenty of room for more travel without binding with a longer stroke shock. Also it feels 'rising rate' but that may be the shock rather than the linkage. My bike is not a rocketa - its a gy-5 lifan. I mounted the shock upside down so the smallest external diameter eye was on the bottom mount - the fatter eye of the shock would bind earliest. This put the adjustment end of the shock at the top - very convenient

Frog

Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #48

Send a message via AIM to madmaximum Send a message via Yahoo to madmaximum
It's good to see you guys are still experimenting with different shocks. I haven't ridden the Roketa much (twice) since I got my Vstrom back in July, but I have a 16 year old son and the Roketa will be a good bike for him to learn on.
1977 Kawasaki KH400, aka Green Ripper

Old 01-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #49

Kevin

did you have to modify your top mount for the R1 Shock?

Cheers

Frog

Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
This remains an interesting subject!!

Wayne does that mean that at the bottom of your shock the clevis is pivoting on the bolts rather than on a bush or bearing? A standard clevis mount would normally bolt tight onto a spacer / sleave that moves inside a bearing. If pivoting only on the bolts will it wear quickly??

Frog
Yes, there's no rubber bushing on the clevis end. I may bore the hole bigger so the sleeve off the old shock will slide thru to give a wider contact surface. Might even bore it to fit a small sealed bearing on each side if there's enough room.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #51

Frog,

No, I didn't. But, I have had to weld the top mount because of my jumping activities, but not to fit the shock.

Kevin

Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #52

Thanks kevin - food for thought! I am going to try a shock from an early Bandit 600 - about the right overall length and a long stroke.........

I'll post results once fitted

Frog

Old 01-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #53

Bandit shock not a success :(

Loads of travel >6inches but spring is too soft. Would be a good option if you were very light perhaps.

................ back to the CBR600 shock - less travel but the ride quality is good.

Frog