Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #1

HELP ME PLEASE!!! Zongshen 200 disaster....

Hi China Riders - I posted the following on thumpertalk - hopefully you guys can help me also. I really, really, really, really hope so!

----
Hello all..

I have or should i say had one of these bikes. It has been in the shop for 4 months now. Basically I'm being screwed over by the repair shop.

The bike is great, but I firmly believe they have stripped down my engine and can no longer put it back together.

Does anyone know of where I can get an entire new engine for this bike? I know the Miami importer has parts but unsure if they sell entire ready to go engines.

Does anyone know how much this would cost me? Can I buy a Lifan engine and put this in?

I only have about $700 to fix my bike. I want it back so badly! I also want to fire-bomb the repair shop....but that will have to wait.

I am begging you all for help!!!

---

If anyone knows how I can get back at the shop I would be very interested. (no...not fire-bombing) - more like - legally hitting them up as they did not give me any estimates and have been dragging their feet for months now. Florida statues say they have to give me an estimate if costs are going to be over $100.00 - which they didn't - so do I have to pay them if they hit me with a bill for stripping the engine down and then putting back together again?

What if they refuse to put it back together at all? Can I get at them for that?

Help me please! I want my Zongshen back!

---

Edit:

Can I buy something like this and get it fitted?
http://www.hooperimports.com/product...pf_id=200ccV-H
Do these engines all have universal mounting points?? Is this an option for me or do I absolutely need a Zongshen identical part?

Further to this idea.....could I stick in a larger engine?????!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
Try simply talking to your local sheriffs department and having a detective contact them. It may put them in motion, but at least you'll have some answers and some documentation of the complaint. I did this with the people I purchased my bike from when after 6 months they still hadn't sent me my MSO, the det. called them and whala I had a MSO in the mail (at priority mail)!!! Also your better business rep in your town can get things done.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #3

The zongshen engine is different than the lifan engine.

Allen

Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #4

Zongshen or Yamaha Engines

I encourage you to email or telephone Zongshen America. Go to their web site and click the “contact us” tab to send an email or get their telephone number.

http://zongshenamerica.com/

They can inform you of both the availability and the cost of a replacement engine from Zongshen.

You should also be able to mount a new or used engine from a number of Yamaha motorcycles. If you go this route, your best option is to mount the slightly larger, 223cc displacement engine from either a Yamaha XT225, Yamaha TT-R225, or Yamaha TT-R230 motorcycle. If you mount the 223cc engine the front sprocket will align properly with the rear sprocket on your Sierra 200.

You can also mount the 196cc engine from a Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. However, this engine has a longer countershaft to accommodate the extra-wide rear wheel of the TW200. Therefore, if you choose this option, you will also need to replace the TW200 engine’s countershaft with a shorter countershaft from one of the 223cc Yamaha engines.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #5

Contact Your local authorities....They wil get the ball rolling for a small claims suit.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #6

Thanks....things are moving along...

Thanks people! I feel more positive about this already.

I like that a Yamaha motor can be used. This will be a good ultimate back up - I wouldn't mind getting a more powerful motor either!

To update:

I'm getting (TAKING!) my bike back this weekend. If they haven't reassembled the engine then ill either buy a new zongshen or research this yamaha option.

I intend to register complaints with the Florida Motor Repair Board - but it looks like they've got about 7 complaints already so I guess they don't care.

Once I've actually got my bike back I'll be more than happy to post the name of the shop in question so others don't get burnt.

Thanks for the support - please keep your suggestions and knowledge flowing!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #7

Are there any website links for these "drop in" replacement engines?
Websites I can browse and buy?

I am interested in this XT225 idea - Any idea how much an engine like this should cost me?

Thanks again

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #9

Are they refusing to give the bike back unless you pay them? or have they completely dismantled your bike with no solutions? unless you signed an estimate order or something of the like. It's an easy win for you in small claims. Take pictures of what they give you back. Save all your receipts for the new parts and engine! It's a pain, but what's right is right.

Make sure they don't get slick and place a mechanics lean on your bike before you take action. this hapened to a friend of mine and it made it a whole lot more complicated than it really was.

My Zong is down now also. So I feel your pain bro!! I wanna Ride!!!

Good luck

Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

I'd get the bike back ASAP and go from there but i suspect they will try to stick it to you yet once again.

JoJo
You can come here and ride our bikes but dress warm as the high temps are droppping into the 0f range and pick up some short hex head sheet metal screws for the tires.

OHH and snow goggles

Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #11

Mechanics lien?

What is a Mechanics Lien?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #12

mrglass would you give us some details
is it under warranty
what caused it to be back at the shop
where did you purchase bike
what is the problem with the bike now
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #13

More info...

Sure...

Warranty - Zongshen will not warranty the bike as they say the W was only good for the "drive-train" ....so...no free parts.

I have no written version of the warranty so cannot say whether the warranty covers everything or just the drive-train. What did other Sierra 200 owners get told?

The breakdown happened during a road trip on a very hot day - we were cruising at about 60mph when the engine went into high revving (almost like it had kicked down a gear) - it then decelerated and quit. After cooling, it ran again, gave 80-90% power but had a tapping noise....that is when I took it back to the shop....in Sept 08.

This repair shop is also the store I bought it from.

When I went in on Monday, the engine was sat on the floor of the shop with a small box next to it filled with cogs and bits.

I will be interested to see if they have put it back together for when I pick it up on Saturday. My guess is that they won't. But at least I'll have cut them out of the circle of misery.

Unless I find someone very talented who can fix the existing motor I believe the easiest route to getting it back on the road is a new engine - swap it out - get it running.

I am still interested in putting in ANY engine that will fit (preferably black in color) - if it's of a larger CC then all the better. I have no knowledge on which engines will fit though.

I live in the Daytona Beach (FL) area in case anyone has any local suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanics_lien

everything one needs to know about mechanics lien

Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #15

Isn't the motor considered part of the drive-train??