Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #1

253cc Racing Engine?

I would have posted this in the "part parts parts" sticky but I haven't seen much activity there recently.

I was looking around and I found this, it looks like it would be a direct replacement for the counterbalanced lifan GY-5. I wonder how much more horsepower it puts out compared to the stock motor. It might be a nice upgrade, just a little pricey.

http://saturdaynightcycles.net/store...products_id=60

Also I am trying to find a good set of front brake pads for my Lifan GY-5, mine have squeaked from day one. I already replaced them with the direct replacement pads and they still squeak. Anyone else have this problem? I was hoping there is a bike (honda, yamaha, ect) that has the same pads that I could order pads for from a place like motorcycle superstore. I just need the year, make and model, then maybe I could get a decent set of pads.

One other thing, I need an air filter and I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the air filter that fits on the carb. I could just take the air box off and measure it, but I'm sure someone here knows the size and that would be easier than pulling the airbox off and measuring it. I think it is 1.5" or 1.25" not sure which.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #2

I have heard absolutely NOTHING but bad BAD terrible things about that guy. I don't have facts, but if you want I can point you to some links with info on that guy....

The brakes make the noise because the pads stick past the edge of the disc, and they vibrate, this seems to be something that would have been addressed by now but it doesn't appear that way...

About parts, aren't you a dealer? What brands do you carry? Is your bike an American Lifan or other Lifan?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 AM   #3

Hmmm...................

I know nothing of that engine so I cant comment on it. (yeah yeah I know it hasnt stopped me before but not this time )

As Jim said the brake pads hang over the side of the rotor edge and what people have done is grind that extra material off so it cant rub on the edge and make that squealing noise.You could also try some of that automotive brake pad lub on the back side of the pads but it needs to be ground down really.

A search on this site should turn up a thread with pics and such.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #4

Re: 253cc Racing Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierScooters
…Also I am trying to find a good set of front brake pads for my Lifan GY-5, mine have squeaked from day one. I already replaced them with the direct replacement pads and they still squeak. Anyone else have this problem? I was hoping there is a bike (honda, yamaha, ect) that has the same pads that I could order pads for from a place like motorcycle superstore. I just need the year, make and model, then maybe I could get a decent set of pads...
Your GY-5 motorcycle might employ the same front brake caliper as my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2. Therefore, you might find the following thread interesting.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=6514

This thread contains photographs of the front brake caliper and brake pads. It also includes a photo showing the characteristic wear pattern of the brake pads. The end of the thread also lists two sources in the United States for replacement brake pads.

As both Jim and TC related, I believe that sawing away the extra material on the back of the pads is the only way to eliminate the squeal.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I have heard absolutely NOTHING but bad BAD terrible things about that guy. I don't have facts, but if you want I can point you to some links with info on that guy....

The brakes make the noise because the pads stick past the edge of the disc, and they vibrate, this seems to be something that would have been addressed by now but it doesn't appear that way...

About parts, aren't you a dealer? What brands do you carry? Is your bike an American Lifan or other Lifan?
Yes, I'm a dealer, I do not sell any dual sports at the time though, My only supplier that sells a dual sport (american lifan gy-5) has been out of stock since I've opened my shop in August. They say that they will have some more by spring. They do sell parts, that's where I got the pads. I didn't realize the squeaking was actually caused by the pad hanging over the edge of the rotor, but I see it now. I will hack off that extra pad material.
I sell scooters, atvs, dirt bikes and go-carts. The brands I carry for scooters are peace sports which is an importer, they put their name on either Roketa or Bashan scooters. I also sell some scooters from another supplier that imports Jonway scooters. For ATVs I sell Peace, Tao Tao, Cougar and some from Moto Dealer Import. The biggest dirt bike I sell is a X-motos 250. I also carry a lot of smaller ones from 50cc to 125cc. I've been looking around for a supplier that can get me a good affordable dual sport, but I haven't been able to find one. I got my American Lifan Gy-5 from another shop that I worked at before I opened my shop.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #6

PremierScooters did i hear you say something about a 31hp hi bird? tell me more, i own a 250 and its a bit of a turd. Dont get me wrong though i do love that bike but more power would be amazing. Do you know what the hold up is with hi bird right now? There out of stock everwhere.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakembakem
PremierScooters did i hear you say something about a 31hp hi bird? tell me more, i own a 250 and its a bit of a turd. Dont get me wrong though i do love that bike but more power would be amazing. Do you know what the hold up is with hi bird right now? There out of stock everwhere.
Here it is, I think it is a new bike, I am guessing the optional 30 hp motor is probably a 400cc but it doesn't say. I filled out thier dealer app a couple of weeks ago, but have not heard anything from them yet so I don't know anything about price. Maybe I should fill it out again. They also have a cruiser and cafe racer looking bike.

this is the link
http://www.hbmoto.com/Products_view.asp?id=64

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #8

wow that is a cool looking bike. If you can get ahold of one of those with the 30hp motor let me know i would be interested.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakembakem
wow that is a cool looking bike. If you can get ahold of one of those with the 30hp motor let me know i would be interested.
where are you located?

I will let you know of pricing when I hear from them. It says on there website that dealer samples are available.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #10

Im located in oregon so i dunno if you would be able to ship one to me. The only thing i would be concerned with is getting the proper papers to make it street legal. let me know.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #11

I really only do business locally, If I sold you a bike I would have no way to service it if you ever had a problem. That is one of my selling points, service. My prices may be a little higher than online prices but I provide warranties and service that web sites can't. Plus shipping would be a lot because it would have to be shipped to me to prep it then I would have to ship it to you.

You should be able to find one somewhere close to you. I think they are pretty new. That's probably why they are hard to find.

As soon as Hi Bird gets back to me I will be able to let you know what pricing should be. That way you'll know if you're getting a good deal.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #12

So where are you located?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
So where are you located?
Greenvile, SC

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #14

Well I rode my bike to work today so I could cut my brake pads. What a difference! no more sqealing squeaking front brakes. Now my front brake do not make a sound. I bet a slightly bigger rotor would also help eliminate this problem.