Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #1

Pirelli MT-21

Hi All,

Its been a while since I have posted here, haven't really posted since they found my stolen Lifan burning on a gravel road just outside the city. The only good thing is the insurance company gave me the bike for free, but the frame is marked and can never be put on the street again, so I am riding an 06 GY-5.

On to my question... I have seen a couple of riders with Pirelli MT-21 rear tires on their bikes and I am wondering what size they are using. I see americanmototire has 110/80P-18s (I am assuming this would be the rear tire size of choice, I want to stay away from 120s because I don't want to have to do a bunch of trimming etc., unless it is a straightforward process) and they have a 90/90S-21 which I know is the right size for the front.

Basically what I am looking for is a DOT knobby (so any other tire choices would be great) that isn't too pricey front and rear. Just want to give them a try and see how they work.

Thanks,
Glenski

PS. I am in Canada so I am probably just going to go to the local Honda House and get my tires from there, rather than Americanmototire.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #2

I would look into the kenda trakmaster too. The 110/80 should be fine with no fitment issues.

I don't know what the shipping costs are, but it is hard to beat the prices are americanmototire. Canada shipping may make it cheaper to get them locally.

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=200_239_241

Allen

Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #3

Thanks Kato,
Thats the type of tire and price range I am looking for. Problem is I don't see a 110/80 offered on that page.
Thanks,
Glenski

Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #4

Re: Pirelli MT-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenski
PS. I am in Canada so I am probably just going to go to the local Honda House and get my tires from there, rather than Americanmototire.
I don't know where you are in Canada.... I am pretty close to the border, so I went with americanmototire, and shipped them nearby in the USA and picked them up.... I think the local shop wanted about the same price for one tire as I paid in total 8O

Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #5

I am obviously not in Canada, but I just ordered a set of Duro HF903/904's from AMT last night. I was also planning to order rim strips and tubes, but they added $5 to the shipping for each tube. The strips didn't change the shipping cost ( 8O ) so I kept them on the order. I thought the cost of shipping each tube was excessive, so I'll get those locally.

Kind of a PITA, IMO. :roll:
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #6

The 110/100 will be the same width, but taller. Not sure how much clearance you have.

Allen

Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice. I guess the next question would be is has anyone out there fitted a 110/100 on a GY-5
Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #8

I found this handy little chart. Looks like a 100/100-18 is considered a direct replacement for a 4.10x18 tire.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/wheelinfo.do

Old 02-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #9

Zak mentioned your unfortunate theft and fire on nbdsc.ca. I hope they catch the douche who stole your bike.

As for tires, I'm running a rear trakmaster on my KLX right now. Great off-road/mud tire, not so great on the street. Pretty loud and rides fairly rough. It's a 90/10 tire and it shows.

I've heard good things about the MT-21 though. I have some spare tires in the shed if you want me to take a look.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
I've heard good things about the MT-21 though. I have some spare tires in the shed if you want me to take a look.
That would be great. You are up in Fredericton right? I was looking at replacing my Lifan with a KLX400R this summer but thought I would give the Lifan another summer, one reason being it is a lot cheaper to run what I have than purchase another bike.

Let me know what you have, based on the amount of offroad use I would probably be best off with the Pirellis.

I just really wanted to try a DOT knobby as I have had this Lifan and a KLR650 in the past and have never really had anything more than about a 20% dirt tire on them. I suspect something around 80 - 90% would make a significant difference offroad when the "need" arises.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #11

MT21

I have fitted the MT21 on my gy5,tire works great and rather aggressive for a DOT knobby

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #12

Re: MT21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism1
I have fitted the MT21 on my gy5,tire works great and rather aggressive for a DOT knobby
What size did you use?

Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #13

Quote:

What size did you use?
To me this is the big question, thanks for asking. Also if you have a pirelli on the rear what are you running on the front?
Thanks!
Glenski

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #14

Glenski, haven't forgotten about the tire. The snow level has receded enougth that I can now get to the shed.

I'll check my tire inventory this week.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Glenski, haven't forgotten about the tire. The snow level has receded enougth that I can now get to the shed. Laughing Laughing

I'll check my tire inventory this week.
Thanks Frostbite. I actually have someone in St. George who is looking at buying my Lifan off of me, I should know tomorrow (at least he said he would let me know if he would be buying or not). If he buys I don't need to worry about the tire, as the tires are still good, they just aren't off road. I will post to let you know if he is buying or not.

The snow has been tough this winter, I just got out to the shed this weekend and was able to get my lifan up and running so that I could sell if he really wants it.

Thanks!
Glenski