Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #1

Kinda not related to specific topic, but in the general chain vacinity. I just placed a new chain on my gy-2. I let is soak in motor oil for a while and then placed it on. I put the locking clip on with the round part facing foward in the chain rotation. When i rolled the bike in nuetral, the chain was making a clicking noise. I checked it out and it seems that as the links get grabbed by the sprocket they click and shift? I'm pretty sure that I placedeveryting on properly? everything else seems fine. Is there anything specific to placing a chain back on that i missed??

I'm gunna do Spud's crank case mod next time I have to remove the cover. I can see how that would make trouble shooting and maintenance waaayyy easier!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
Kinda not related to specific topic, but in the general chain vacinity. I just placed a new chain on my gy-2. I let is soak in motor oil for a while and then placed it on. I put the locking clip on with the round part facing foward in the chain rotation. When i rolled the bike in nuetral, the chain was making a clicking noise. I checked it out and it seems that as the links get grabbed by the sprocket they click and shift? I'm pretty sure that I placedeveryting on properly? everything else seems fine. Is there anything specific to placing a chain back on that i missed??

I'm gunna do Spud's crank case mod next time I have to remove the cover. I can see how that would make trouble shooting and maintenance waaayyy easier!
Hi, JoJo.

How many miles do you have on your countershaft (front) sprocket? After 9,000 miles my countershaft sprocket needs to be replaced. Since you need to remove the entire left crankcase cover to easily access the countershaft, I realize it is difficult to inspect the countershaft sprocket on your Zongshen 200GY-2. However, I suspect your sprocket might be worn and in need of replacement. If the sprocket is hooked, it might click and shift the chain as it grabs the rollers and then allows them to slide backwards. I suggest that you get a small mirror with a handle, similar to a dental mirror, and take a good look at your countershaft sprocket.

If you are doubtful about the chain path, post a photograph of your installation. I will be happy to check it for you.

Also, it is possible that you have a bad countershaft bearing. However, you can't diagnose that problem without removing the entire left crankcase cover. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

I'm good, tnx.

My speedo says 1500 miles since I fixed it. So I'm guessing that I have about 2100-2400 actual.

I pulled off the left crank case cover again. My spray gasket seal didn't work. I am going to try it again, now that I got the hang of it. When replacing the chain before i removed all guides and cleaned them. I just took everything off again when I noticed that the countersproket is loose and I can pull it in and out a about 1/8 to 1/10 of an inch. Is it supposed to be loose like that?? Everything else looks like it is in the right place. The two bolts that look like they're holding it on are a weird size and I couldn't get them off. Well, it's prob because I lost my metric wrench set. And when I say I lost it, I mean a dumbass friend lost it on the road!! I just got my fmf powercore 4 in while working on the bike and I need to get this chain thing settled before I can replace the crank cover and install the new pipe!! I'm going to eat dinner, drink a beer, spark it up and stare at the bike until i figure it out or it repairs itself. Or get a reply from you Spud! everything looks correct. I rechecked it all. Wonder if I should grease up the sproket some more. I didn't use much before, but I don't want to reassemble just to have to disassemble again. Could I have put the chain on too tight?? I don't know...I'm gonna leave it until I hear back from Spud or anybody else on here. Unless I figure it out, but I'm at the end of my chain with this bike for today!!! Cant these things just run and have no Issues?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? I gues you get what you pay for. I love this bike! Don't get me wrong. I'm out there trying to get people to stop judging them from rumors and get a first hand account of owning a Zong. Yeah they can be a llittle time consuming, but it's a great running bike for the value and parts are cheap and easy to find. I'm looking for a dual ducati type headligt and a SS header pipe. I think that's all that makes this bike look cheap and I'm slowly working on getting all the kinks out and look foward to some fun riding in the future!! Hopefully sooner than later!!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #4

Quote:
...I just took everything off again when I noticed that the countersproket is loose and I can pull it in and out a about 1/8 to 1/10 of an inch. Is it supposed to be loose like that??…
No, the countershaft sprocket should not be loose. :(
Quote:
...The two bolts that look like they're holding it on are a weird size and I couldn't get them off…
The two bolts are M6 metric bolts. I can’t remember exactly, but I think you need either an 8-mm or a 10-mm hex socket to tighten/loosen them. If the bolts are tight, your countershaft sprocket should not be loose. It sounds to me like you might have a bad countershaft bearing. However, I am not a mechanic. I hope other, more knowledgeable, members of this forum will respond with their opinions.
Quote:
...Wonder if I should grease up the sproket some more. I didn't use much before, but I don't want to reassemble just to have to disassemble again…
No, I think you have enough lubrication. I don’t grease either of my sprockets; I just lubricate the drive chain.
Quote:
...Could I have put the chain on too tight??…
Yes, if the drive chain is consistently too tight it can damage the countershaft bearing. It is better to have the drive chain a little too loose, rather than a little too tight.
Quote:
...I'm slowly working on getting all the kinks out and look foward to some fun riding in the future!! Hopefully sooner than later!!
I hope so, also. I suggest you borrow or buy some metric sockets and remove the bolts holding the countershaft sprocket. Then rotate the retaining plate, and remove both the retaining plate and the countershaft sprocket. Next, try to wiggle the countershaft itself; it should not be loose. Also examine the countershaft oil seal behind the sprocket, looking for oil leaks. If the countershaft is loose, you probably have a bad countershaft bearing.

Once again, I certainly hope other member of this forum will not hesitate to respond with their suggestions.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #5

Thankz. Doh!! The counter shaft is a little loose. and so is the countershaft sprocket. Sounds like you are right Spud. I wish I has the crank case cover mod so I could at least assemble the magneto for now. I live in south Florida so I hate having my bikes guts hanging out with all the humidity. If it is the bearings.. which I hope it isn't. How would I go about changing them?? Does anybody else have any idea as to what is wrong. I also think that I placed the chain on too tight before. I loosened it and it stopped clciking on the sprocket. But if Spud is right, then I must have a bad bearing. Could I ride on a bad bearing?

Just wanna ride :evil:

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Thankz. Doh!! The counter shaft is a little loose. and so is the countershaft sprocket. Sounds like you are right Spud…
Yes, it sounds to me like you have a bad countershaft bearing. :(
Quote:
…I live in south Florida so I hate having my bikes guts hanging out with all the humidity…
If you have disassembled the left crankcase cover, I would encourage you to remount the stator and pickup coil. Then, reattach the crankcase cover to protect the internal parts of your engine.
Quote:
…If it is the bearings.. which I hope it isn't. How would I go about changing them??…
If the countershaft bearing is shot, you will need to break open the crankcase to replace it. If you can, I would encourage you to get the opinion of a skilled mechanic. If you don’t want to do the job yourself, I bet some motorcycle shop would do it for you. Since the Zongshen 200GY-2 engine is such a close copy of the Yamaha TW200 engine, I think a Yamaha shop could repair the bearing pretty easily.
Quote:
…Could I ride on a bad bearing?
Just wanna ride :evil:
I would not ride on a bad countershaft bearing; it could destroy your transmission. :(

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #7

This topic was split from another thread. One topic per thread please.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #8

So you just replaced the chain NOT the sprockets.

Why did you replace the chain ?

If your old chain was stretched a lot then your sprockets are bent/worn also from my experience.
I've never seen a stretched chain that didnt have bent/worn sprockets also.

The few times I've HAD to replace a chain I also replaced the sprockets as well just so I knew it was all in spec.

There has been discussions about various china bikes and the proper chain free-play setting.
The rear suspension on some of these bikes will cycle thru a spot that will cause the chain to be very tight and if the chain starts off adjusted to tight to begin with you could have problems.

A chain that is set to tight will put to much pressure on the rear hub and counter shaft and could cause a bearing failure if left that way.
And obviously a chain that is to loose could/will come off and most likely pile into the engine case and cause damage.

I think most people that have had a problem with their chains just pull the rear suspension tight with a tiedown until the countershaft, swingarm pivot bolt and rear axle are all aligned then they set the proper chain free play.
When all three of those are inline that will be the farthest distance and the tightest possible position for the chain.

But you'd have to recheck to see how loose it is once the suspension is fully sprung/unloaded to see how loose the chain will get.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #9

On the loose sprocket issue. Shouldn't the sprocket have just alittle movement on the countershaft?

The countershaft itself shouldn't move, but all of the bikes I have the sprocket has alittle movement on the shaft.

I believe you clicking was the chain too tight.

Allen

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
On the loose sprocket issue. Shouldn't the sprocket have just alittle movement on the countershaft?

Allen
Yep, it should have some play.
In fact, I took the bolts and plate off of the countershaft sprocket of my DR 650 and installed a C clip. The sprocket floats free on the shaft and will automatically find it's own center. It makes changing the gear ratio a breeze too.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #11

JoJo,

As I said, I am not a mechanic. Therefore, I am very glad that others are responding to your questions.

I must admit that I am not too familiar with other motorcycles. However, the countershaft sprocket on my Zongshen is very tight. The retaining plate holds the sprocket very securely to the slot in which it resides. Since you stated that you did not loosen the bolts on the retaining clip, I assumed that the sprocket is still securely attached to the countershaft. However, this might not be the case.

I truly don’t want to mislead, or alarm you. Therefore, to make sure that I was correct, I just went outside and experimented a bit. The sprocket on my Zong has absolutely no wiggle in rotation around the countershaft. The sprocket also has no wiggle in the plane perpendicular to the countershaft. When I tried to wiggle the sprocket laterally, it moved very little; I would estimate the rear of the sprocket moved 1mm or less.

The countershaft itself is connected to the motorcycle's transmission with very little freeplay. As a unit, my countershaft and its attached sprocket will move only 1mm or less in the longitudinal plane; this is less than 1/25 of an inch.

Therefore, I was alarmed when you stated, “the countersproket is loose and I can pull it in and out about 1/8 to 1/10 of an inch.” However, it is possible that my motorcycle might be assembled a little tighter than yours. Therefore, I would still encourage you to have an experienced mechanic examine the countershaft and give you his professional opinion.

Having just looked at my sprocket and countershaft, I can verify that a 10mm socket will fit the sprocket retaining clip bolts . If you haven’t already done so, I still encourage you to remove the sprocket and examine the looseness of the countershaft alone. Also, I would still encourage you to examine the oil seal around the countershaft. This oil seal will only be fully visible after you have removed the sprocket. If the countershaft bearing has been damaged, it is also quite possible that the countershaft oil seal is leaking oil.

If an examination proves that your countershaft is not too sloppy, and the oil seal is good, your countershaft bearing is probably fine. Once you eliminate the countershaft bearing as a potential problem, you can narrow down the possibilities to a overly tight drive chain or a worn countershaft sprocket.

I don't want to mislead you. I am not positive that you have a damaged countershaft bearing. However, my countersprocket and countershaft are much tighter than yours. I only caution you because I don't want to see you potentially damage your transmission.

However, I am not a mechanic, and I could very well be overcautious. I sincerely hope that other members of this forum will continue to offer the wisdom of their experience.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #12

hard to guess on the bearing but it is a clue if your seal is leaking just for a rule of thumb seals rarely fail but a bearing allowing a shaft to rotate out of center now as for the clicking i would say the sprokets are misaligned adjusted properly the chain must run in a straight line you can see it from eyeballing it from the rear hopefully no damage has happened to the bearing but get a knowlegable wrench or check it with a similar bike ill check some of mine tommorrow
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #13

Thank for all of the replies and the hi-jack thread Topic change.

I think I was over tightening the chain before. After more indepth reading on the net, I understand now that I have to compress the suspension and have the rear wheel axle horizontal with the countershaft for a proper chain adjustment. That being said. I called the local yamaha dealer service center and described the problem to him. He immediatlely stated that the bearing could be bad, but because being a do it yourselfer and having neither the money nor trust for most mechanics and especially DEALER mechanics, I won't take that advice to the bank and cash it. After reviewing all your guys post (And reading the manual on replacing the countershaft bearing), I've decided to go take ride down to zongshen and get a new sprocket and some crank cover gasket seals just in case I need to take it off again if the new sprocket doesn't solve the issue and I have to end up changing the countershaft bearing (If I do, I'll take pictures.

I want to really kinda upgrade the parts of this bike as they need replacing, but they're sooo damn cheap at Zongshen$$$$$

And I'm purchasing a new metric socket set 2maro!!