Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #16

I think I'd do a compression test and also remove the valve cover and have a look in there.

Is that engine an OHC or pushrod ?

If it has suffered major damage such as a broken connecting rod or dropped a valve and munched on it for a bit then I'd say just buy a NEW engine and ride.(but thats just me)

Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap

If it has suffered major damage such as a broken connecting rod or dropped a valve and munched on it for a bit then I'd say just buy a NEW engine and ride.(but thats just me)
T-motorsports has the Lifan engines for $320 plus shipping... Or the wrecked Jetmoto that Fastdoc has access to... Major engine damage can be fixed by simply replacing the engine. I had a Lifan engine installed in my Jetmoto (Jetmoto, who uses Zongshen engines) with some minor tweaking. I had a guy in Mexico install it and did a good job, but he didn't cut the clutch cable to the proper length, so it felt like the tranny went out a little while later, but its a long, sad story, but it is possible to install a different brand engine as they are similar enough to each other.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #18

It just breaks my heart to let that engine go. I put so much into breaking it in properly and everything. Oil changes every week etc. Do any of you know about sunl waranties? The engine is covered for a year and ive only had the bike for 9 months. Also, anyone know of a HSUN/SUNL repair shop in southern IN or Northern KY? Thanks! -Cory

Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzarider
It just breaks my heart to let that engine go. I put so much into breaking it in properly and everything. Oil changes every week etc. Do any of you know about sunl waranties? The engine is covered for a year and ive only had the bike for 9 months. Also, anyone know of a HSUN/SUNL repair shop in southern IN or Northern KY? Thanks! -Cory
Good luck with a warranty.

I think you next step is the compression test. Also remove the valve cover and check to see if valves are moving.

Repair or replace. I would replace. The price of parts will add up to close to what the new engine will cost. Plus the time to fix.

A replacement engine will take a couple hours to swap in.

By the way. How many miles did you get on it?

Allen

Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #20

Ok, I took out spark plug and placed my thumb over the spark plug hole and kicked the kick start but I didnt feel much pressure. I could tell that something is moving because the valves move up and down but when I shine my flashligh down in the spark plug hole it doesnt look like piston is moving. If I take my thumb off the hole i can feel a bit of air come out when I kick the kick start. -Cory

Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #21

I wish you lived close to me I have a borescope that would allow us to look right down in the cylinder.

If your feeling a little puff of air on your thumb when you turn it over then I'd think the piston is moving up and down but maybe it is damaged or one/both of the valves.

If you really want to get into it and see whats up take the head off the engine that will allow you to see pretty much everything as far as the piston, valves, and cylinder.
I myself wouldnt take the head off until I was sure of the status of the valves and I'd of course take peek into the cylinder with the scope.

If the engine is damaged then it'll have to come out of the frame anyway and taking apart a damaged engine is a bit of fun but a bummer also.

If any one of the piston, connecting rod, cylinder or head is damaged I'd look to getting a new engine depending on the exact extent of the damage.

I have seen piston, cylinder, gasket and ring sets for sale but at about 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a new engine so I'd just get the new engine and be done.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #22

Quote:
I have a borescope that would allow us to look right down in the cylinder.
A borescope eh?

Never heard of one till now and, being a tool junkie, I want one of those...
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
Quote:
I have a borescope that would allow us to look right down in the cylinder.
A borescope eh?

Never heard of one till now and, being a tool junkie, I want one of those...
They make rigid, flexible and I think a somewhat steerable one and some can mount a camera on them and they have a tiny LED light.

Mine is a cheap flexible (TEAMCHEAP) one but it is better than none and I have used it on cars before.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #24

I found a few on ebay, some very expensive, with camera and LCD screen, some just simple optical ones. I've just bid for one of these.

Apparently they're similar to what proctologists use to look up your anus...
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #25

pizzarider. Easy method to see if the piston comes up and down. Get a soda straw and place it in the spark plug hole. Kick it over slowly and see if the straw moves up and down.

The straw won't damage anything. If it doesn't move than the rod is broken.

Allen

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
pizzarider. Easy method to see if the piston comes up and down. Get a soda straw and place it in the spark plug hole. Kick it over slowly and see if the straw moves up and down.

The straw won't damage anything. If it doesn't move than the rod is broken.

Allen
Ok, I tried this and the straw didnt move. How do I get into the engine to view the rod? I wont have $200 for a long time so I would like to try to fix this myself if possible. Thanks! -Cory

Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #27

You'll have more into fixing it than $200 bucks if the rod is broke which is what it sounds like if the piston isnt moving.

I havnt taken one of these engines apart but I'd guess they are like others in that you'll need to have the crank pulled/pressed to change the connecting rod or buy a new crank for it.

here are some links :
crankshafts

pistons

cylinders

Those links (all the same site) are just to show you some of the stuff you may/will need.
I have no idea of exactly what you have or if that site even has what you need but I thought it interesting to look at as it will give you an idea on costs.

A teardown of the engine and a list of needed items is the next move if your going to do it yourself but really just buying a new ready to go engine is far FAR easier and much quicker to do.

Here is an ebay deal that might work for you it has everything you'd need and then some.
Brand New! 200cc Engine Shifter Kart Zongshen Lifan NR

Plus this whole ordeal would also allow you to slap a 250cc engine in there if you wanted to.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #28

That's not a bad price. I saw an importer offering Zong 250 motors with all black finish, fob china for 280. No idea of what the cost is for shipping. I think minimum purchase was ten.

seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #29

I found out what the problem is. My piston shattered on the inside. Looks like it was a crap piston but the connecting rod is just fine. I think I just need to replace the piston, rings, cylinder and flush the entire engine to get rid of loose bits of metal. Below are pictures.. Thanks for all of your help! -Cory
Piston
http://chinariders.net/gallery2/main...serialNumber=1
Cylinder
Connecting Rod

Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #30

The conrod looks as if it's bent on the third photo...
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy