Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #76

wont start

I installed a new Ignition coil since I have taken bike apart so many times I pull ignition coil wire out of spark plug cap.I got spark, fuel and air but my bike still wont start. My compression gauge was out in the rain a few times so I dont know how accurate it is. My compression reading was 60 psi.

I am going to see if a bike shop will take my bike in a town 100 miles away. They say the work on all makes and models but I know that does not include chinese. I am tired of begging people to work on my chinese bike. With this poor economy i figure people would at least try.

Michael A

Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #77

well 60 psi is crap compression...
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #78

compression

what would cause low compression on new bike?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:45 AM   #79

No wear would have taken place yet, so I can only think of a broken piston ring, a leaking head gasket, or far more likely the valve clearances are too small, maintaining one of the valves partially opened.

Remove the valve caps, place the piston on TDC (top dead centre) using the marks engraved on the generator ("T" mark). You get two TDC events: one on the exhaust stroke and one on the power or compression stroke. Make sure it's on the power/compression stroke by turning the engine in the normal direction of rotation while observing the inlet valve (the one closest to the carb). Eventually the valve will start to open, this is when you see the rocker pushing it down. Now keep rotating the engine slowly and the next time the "T" mark appears that's TDC on compression.

Just feel that the rockers have a little sideways and up and down play in that position. They must feel loose, otherwise the valve clearance needs setting.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #80

valves

Well I guess I could try to adjust the valves again. I took a stab at adjusting the valves twice and I am not sure that I did it right.

I can see the "T Mark" ok but I am not sure when I am in Top Dead Center" on "Compression" Stroke. I understand what the "Inlet" valve is, but I am not totally sure what you mean when you say "the valve will start to open", "this is when you will see the rocker pushing it down.

I guess I can give the Valve Adjustment another try before taking it to the shop.

If the valves are out of adjustment will that cause "low" compression readings? Thats for all your help dudes.

Michael A

Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #81

thanks

Thanks for all your help mates.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #82

Sorry I didn't explain myself too well.

In an ideal world, the way to find out if the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke is to turn the engine until the "T" mark appears and lines up with the index mark. This can be confirmed by feeling the rockers and if the clearances are correct you can wiggle them about and "feel" the clearance. This is because both valves have to be closed to be on the compression stroke. When the valves are fully closed the valves have to have some clearance and therefore the rockers will rattle about a bit.

If one or both rockers are too tight to move, it means that the engine is at TDC but on the exhaust stroke, so you turn the engine another 360º until the mark comes up once more and that should be the TDC at compression. You can confirm this by feeling the rockers once again to confirm there's some clearance and the engine is set at the correct TDC.

In your case we don't know if the valves are correctly set, so the above method might not work, so what we do is reason that by observing the inlet valve opening (rocker pushing the stem down against the valve spring), and continue rotating the engine the inlet valve will soon close again (rocker coming back up) after admitting fresh gas/air mixture from the carb, the engine will soon be compressing that mixture and reaching TDC on the compression stroke. This is why the next "T" mark you see after the inlet valve has opened and closed is the correct one to enable the valves to be checked and set.

Any of the valves being out of adjustment (too tight or no clearance) will hold that valve off its seat and allow the compression to escape. This can make starting difficult and in bad cases impossible.
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #83

I agree with Forchetto....could be all in the valves ,your lack of compression...Though you have been adjusting your valves more in a week than I have in my life...or the 17 years on my Yamaha.
But after reading the whole post again...if the airbox was full of water/mud...That could have a lot more to do with it than valves...
IF that bike was sucking in dirt and water...the cyl walls could be so scored that the rings will not seal...Enough water to cause a lean out condition and melt a hole in the top of the piston...
Cracked rings...
Sorry I can't be more positive.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #84

piston n rings

I'll take a shot at adjusting valves again. Should I take off head and look at piston and rings before adjusting valves?

I have just replaced piston and rings on a 250cc Chinese Dune Buggy Engine so I am familiar with that process. I just don't have manual for the Xmoto Engine.

Its confusing that getting my new Xmoto muddy in Air box filter could cause so much damage because I have got my old DB-27 200cc Chinese bike just as muddy and I just got it running again and it goes like hell. Thanks for all your help dudes. Seriously.

Michael A

Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #85

Re: piston n rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by puush
I'll take a shot at adjusting valves again. Should I take off head and look at piston and rings before adjusting valves?
Depends how confident you're that they are right. When I posted that long-winded explanation I wasn't aware of you having done them many times. Still, it won't take that long to do them and check before taking the head off.
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #86

valves

Well, I adjusted valves like "forchetto" said and I am confident they are right. The "Exhaust Valve" was way to wide open. After I adjusted my valves my bike still won't start. It doesn't even sputter like its going to start. My brand new battery went dead after only trying to start bike for few minutes. Is that normal? What is sucking my battery dry?

I am taking it to the shop after spending about 80 hours of my time on it. I surrender. Gonna put time in my dune buggy. Something I can fix.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #87

does it kick start??? Sounds like crappy battery, low amps...mabey dragging starter...

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #88

no

no. it doesnt kick star either. I am taking it to a master mecheanic in a city 3 hours away. after explaining situation he says he can fix it. 80/hr so will cost me about 400 I think.

Michael A

Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #89

At 400 bucks, I would seriously be considering a new engine.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #90

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Man I would really like to look at your problem, but alas, I'm in SoCal.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter