Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #1

simp

Ok this is pretty basic but help me out, when checking the oil i keep the bike level and ?
1. do i screw in the dip stick and then pull to see oil level or:
2. just push it down to where it starts to screw in to see oil level?

seems silly but its the diff between a full oil bay registar and half full registar. I believe that #2's the answer?

right? help?

:oops:

Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #2

number 2's what i do... :roll: ...but cant honestly say to be sure...do the same on my vfr400 and sachs madass and have only checked thats what to do on the madass...gonna go and find out now :oops:

Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #3

dunno

I wish i knew but wikipedia is useless, trying search on youtube videos how .

Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #4

Yes, #2 is the correct way. Check it without the dipstick threaded in.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #5

awesome

thank you dude, i really needed that answer.

**not knowing is worse.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #6

on that model, you can confirm by holding the bike level and upright, and look at the oil level in the view port bottom right of engine.

seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas
on that model, you can confirm by holding the bike level and upright, and look at the oil level in the view port bottom right of engine.

seer
That's true, although I prefer to trust the dipstick (using method #2).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #8

I have a friend that used to race who likes the view port best cause he likes to over fill until he starts to get foam in the oil, then pull some out. Claims better cooling but who knows. He *HAS* won a lot of off road desert type races in his day tho....sooo..... hehehe.

seer

One other thing, when you change the oil, its not a horrible idea to hit the kill switch and use the kick starter to turn the motor over a few times to pump out the oil still left in the pump.. that is if you want a totally clean oil change.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #9

right

says to crank it over with oil drain plug out i also tip bike way over to right as well.