Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

torque

i have a shineray xy125gy and the torque from it is shameful what can i use as a good few ways to increase the torque because into corners it feels like its gonna fall over someone please help i need more torque

Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

Like the old saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement". If you're the adventurous type, stuff a 250 in that bike. Otherwise, go buy a 250 bike.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #3

Either carry a higher speed into the corners or just don't lean as much.

On a small bike the key is momentum conservation.. don't brake into the corners, gauge your speed before entry and carry all that you can all the way through. On really sharp turns a hard countersteer will help keep your speed as well... make the time turning the bike as short as possible and you'll conserve more momentum.

A 125 should be light enough that you can fling it around with ease. I know on my GY-5 I can carry more speed through the really tight stuff than many sportbikes can... I have actually left a couple of them behind due to the fact I can transition the bike much more quickly than they can.

Oh... get your butt off the seat, hang it off a little towards the inside of the turn and put your weight on the outside foot. That keeps the bike in a more upright lean and leaves you room if you need to tighten the turn. When you transition back to straight or turning the opposite direction, slide your tail either back to the middle of hanging off the other side. It's just the opposite of riding dirt.

Shift your weight forward too, it helps the front stay planted... I doubt you'll slide the rear on a 125, but if you do don't panic. Either ride it out or gently back off the throttle a little bit. If the front slides (bad) then you're being too forceful with your steering inputs.

If you catch yourself crossing out of your lane, slow down... that's the way most people die on a bike.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #4

the bikes nice and easy into corners but just want the bike to feel a little more steady but i temporarily changed my carb for a 26mm molkt one from xian which seemed to increase the torque and did the job but starting was a major issue it just wouldnt
so ideally i would like that on and working however as i have this engine

where the manifold is and the carb inlet places the adjustments on the wrong side near the chassis so its a bit of a pain to set up
does anybody know where i can get a smaller manifold as this would put everything into easy access its a bolt on style carb
and also when xian have done there rear shock i want one so hope its soon but have had to resort back to my original carb which makes it ride bit shkier into corners so i am gagging to get it set up correctly any experiences with this carb thanks for any help

Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #5

A carb is not going to help the bike's handling.

It's technique. Steering input, body position, picking the correct line... you can settle the suspension by rolling on the throttle, but it's not the only way and on a slow bike it's usually not an option. Trail braking works, but Chinese brakes seem to fade pretty fast.

My guess is that if the bike seems unsteady through the turns, especially sweepers, you probably have a death grip on the bars, loosen up. Fooling with a carb to get better handling is the wrong way to go about it, concentrate more on your technique.

I'm guessing that English is not your native language...???

Did I mention technique?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #6

thanks mate will get some miles in riding but as a little help for me i think im going to get som grippier tyres as a little bit of an insentive thanks for the language comment but the carb did make a noticable difference wether mental or physical it seemed to help any way that idea has been shelved for now whilst i brush up on technique any other tips much appreciated

Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
The photo of the bike shows he's English. Look at the "L" plate on the front.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 07-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
The photo of the bike shows he's English. Look at the "L" plate on the front.
Yes, but the lack of even the slightest nod towards punctuation or capitilization made my head spin so bad I thought for a moment I was reading Swahili....

It was a jibe, a goad, a mean little poke in the eye, retribution for the abuse he has heaped upon the written word... REVENGE, I SAY!!! :twisted:

You have to admit, it's really tough to read something like that.

At least it wasn't "chat speak"!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz1984
thanks mate will get some miles in riding but as a little help for me i think im going to get som grippier tyres as a little bit of an insentive thanks for the language comment but the carb did make a noticable difference wether mental or physical it seemed to help any way that idea has been shelved for now whilst i brush up on technique any other tips much appreciated
Partly, the truth is you never know where someone is from, the interwebs is a big place...

From what you're describing, I think you're pilot circuit is lean. If the bike won't idle but runs fine you need to either adjust the pilot or replace it with one of a different size. Does it smoke (black) or smell like raw gas?

There should be a screw on the bottom of the carb (sometimes it's covered with a brass plug), turning it in will lean the pilot, out richens.

GENTLY turn the scew in until it bottoms, then back it out 2.5 turns. (Too tight and you'll mess the pilot up and have to replace it.)

Ride around to get the bike fully warmed up (hot as it will get) screw the pilot in until the idle stumbles, then back it out until the idle speeds up and smooths out. If the idle speed fluctuates, it's too lean, if you smell gas, it's too rich. If you need more than 3.5 turns from bottom to get a smooth idle, the pilot is too small, less than 1.5 out from bottom and the pilot is too big.

But what I said about relaxing and using a loose grip on the bars... try it. When you're running through a corner at speed the bike gets sensitive to ANY input. If you're tense you can't help but wiggle the bars and it makes the bike feel unsettled. Stay loose! I sometimes catch myself tightening up and I go through the same thing. We rode today... I pushed the bike harder than ever and caught myself getting unsteady through the fast sweepers. That's when I had to back off the gas, take a breath and remember to relax. Overall I did well... I was riding along with a couple of SV650's and held my own. I have NO chicken strips on my TKC80 knobbies!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #10

I am guessing with that "L" decal, you will have a limit on the displacement you are allowed, and that's why you have a 125, but want more power?

I'm not an expert (I should put that in my signature), but you could try better flowing exhaust and air filter, and possibly carb jets, but as you've already swapped out carbs, you probably have that covered...

Good tires may help too.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #11

thanks knot head my text may not read well because my written english has always been a struggle wherever its written no tjust lazy just never have been good at punctuation at all but thanks for that

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #12

into corners it feels like its gonna fall over

Maybe some chassis work? Or, maybe some "checking" of the chassis (steering head bearings/swing arm bushings/shock mountings)?

Not that I'm an "expert", but with a properly set up chassis, you should be "at the pin" (wide open throttle) and not experience any difficulties, or feelings of falling over (it is a 125cc bike, not a "rocket"). More power, applied at the critical moment, "loads" a sloppy/unsafe chassis.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #13

Check where the exhaust flange meets the head, Maybe is room to make that opening larger, You won't get torque but You may be able to get better response.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #14

not sure what you mean about the flange gap not sure what i would need to do thanks for all your help

Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #15

Daz if its more torque ur looking for change the rear sprocket more torque but less top end. Also a posh race cdi box mite help cos these bikes put out about 8bhp lol.