Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #1

a few questions

1 do race cdi boxes work
2 do cone air filters work and do they as i have heard draw in loads of water
and 3 what is the best sprocket set up for off roading
Thanks again folks

Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #2

Not sure on Cdi's, I have read mixed results. Cone filters work but can let water into the carb if You cross streams and such., And the stock large sprocket should be good for trail riding....What is it a 52 or something like that? Can't recall right now.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #3

do race cdi boxes work

Yes, but you are not going to buy a "race CDI" for less than $100. Typically these little engines run fixed timing with their CDI. A coil picks up current from a passing magnet, switching on a current (thyristor) firing a coil. The nature of the thing is, fully advanced at idle, retarding somewhat as the rpm increases (coil voltage increasing), and with some luck the timing is correct in the midrange (rpm) somewhere. It takes a fairly sophisticated "box" to advance the timing as needed, something that you will not find in less than $100 CDI.

do cone air filters work and do they as i have heard draw in loads of water

Two questions:
Do cone air filters work? Like ANY air filter, be it "cone", or conventional: you gets what you pays for.
Do they draw in lots of water? ANY air filter put in a situation where there is water "to be had" will draw in water/moisture. An air filter that flows air will flow water.

LOOK at what major motorcycle manufacturers put on their bikes, they are usually a large well drained plastic box containing a maze to minimize the water intake, do you not think if they felt they could get away with using a $5 cone filter they would do so?
(or why do you think every other ad for a used Chinese dirt bike with a cone filter says: engine smokes a bit?)

what is the best sprocket set up for off roading

There is not an "absolute" here. It depends on the rider and the terrain.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #4

If you think you will be riding in water or mud I would stay away from cone filters. Espicially a K&N type that has the mesh over a cotton gauze type material. These don't filter dust that well either. The foam UNI type filters are better for dust, but still not effective for water.

If you water to ride in areas with mud and water I would stick with stock airbox.

I prefer the UNI filters, but I also stay out of the water too.

Allen

Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #5

Not just riding........storing, if left outside, in the rain, ANY motorcycle with a cone type air filter, uncovered, will get a dose of water.

My Yamaha could benefit, (performance wise) from a cone type filter, but I am really reluctant to make the switch.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #6

I haven't had any issues with the UNI riding in the rain or leaving it outside. It is well protected under the seat. I am sure that it can suck in a little moisture though. Now the pitbike style engine the filter is more exposed and lower to the ground. It is definately more susceptible to weather.

Will it stop me from using one? No.

Allen

Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #7

1. I don't have any experience with aftermarket CDI boxes.

2. I've fabricated splash shields that attach to the hose clamp of a cone filter. They can work rather well.

3. To put a finer point on the gear ratio issue, check out JT Sprockets gear chart: http://www.jtsprockets.com/fileadmin...tgearratio.pdf

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #8

My Roketa came factory with a 15/56 set up for a ratio of 3.75

I tried 14/35 for more speed, ratio 2.50, but she would lug the engine when starting in first gear and did not have the power to maintain 50 mph up a hill, however I could hit 74 mph with a slight down hill!

So I have an in between of 15/45 for a ratio of 3.0 I can change my front sprocket to a 14 and get 3.21 for more off road or go t a 16 for 2.81 for a little more top end.

http://cid-63bbfa3f2598bda7.skydrive...ublic/gear.png
This URL is a quick image of what I think are the gear options for the 200 cc China Bikes.

I think 45 for the rear is good middle ground for mostly street and a little dirt. The good think is they are not to expensive and easy to change around!

I got one gear set from Amazon.com and one set from BikeBandit.

Andy-

Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #9

thanks for all the responces
in answer to the filter question i will not be crossing streams or riding in muddy fields (to meny little nooks and cranies for the gy to gather up mud and the standard tyres dont like mud ether lol ) but the feilds are dusty in responce to the sprocket question im around 165 pounds and riding on mostly solid ground