Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Chain for a gio beast?

Hi I was reading the post on chain tightening and the need for replacing the chain with a better quality one. I can't find any numbers on mine to indicate size, would anyone know what is the proper size to order in for a 200cc gio beast? We are far enough away from any big centers that it's usually better to order parts in.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #2

i told a #40 chain seems to work best as i need one my self but i have yet to get it so i cant be 100% sure but from many other post #40 seems to be the one they are talkin about hope that helps..

Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I will compare with a #40 tonight. I was thinking that maybe it would have a metric size chain seeing as everthing else on the quad is metric. I'll let you know how they compare.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #4

Turnburn,

Nice to see you posting again, it's been a while!

I would wait for Weldangrind to weigh in here he seems to know everything about his Gio Beasts. The Giobikes site does have a lot of people quoting the #40, but are you asking about length or chain thickness?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Everything. Yeah, right. I try though.

I used a 428 chain on my Beast. Standard Asian bike / quad chains are usually 420, 428 or 520 (520 being the largest). I believe that 35, 41 and 40 (40 being the largest) are SAE sizes.

Sort of on that topic, I'm going to go on a mission to see if we can convert the Beast to 520. I'm sure I'd find less chain stretch, and I'd be more inclined to ride it like I stole it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #6

LOL! My son rides his like he stole it! Therefore that's why I'm looking for the chain info. Great advice, thanks! My son seems to spend more time adjusting his chain than riding, so I'd like to put something better on for him. His chain flipped off doing quite alot of damage to the case, battery box etc. Now that all that is fixed, we better get some good chain on there. Going on a family ride next week for about three days into a large ravine with spring fed creeks that you can ride in the bottom for miles both ways! Creek has a shale rock bottom so it's great for quadding, we can get a camper down in the bottom if there has not been too much rain! (Which it's doing at a steady pace at the moment) Thanks again for all the good posts!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Turnburn,

Nice to see you posting again, it's been a while!

I would wait for Weldangrind to weigh in here he seems to know everything about his Gio Beasts. The Giobikes site does have a lot of people quoting the #40, but are you asking about length or chain thickness?
Thanks TurboT! Has been a tremendously busy summer!!! I love this forum!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #8

You're lucky to have some rain. We're surrounded by kindling at the moment.

I'm using a cheap non o-ring RK 428 on our Beast right now, and it has stretched twice so far. I'm hoping that it will be less plastic from here forward, but I'm still going to pursue the 520 angle.

Your riding location sounds great!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You're lucky to have some rain. We're surrounded by kindling at the moment.

I'm using a cheap non o-ring RK 428 on our Beast right now, and it has stretched twice so far. I'm hoping that it will be less plastic from here forward, but I'm still going to pursue the 520 angle.

Your riding location sounds great!
Let me know how you make out with your chain upgrade. We have done the carb upgrade on one of the two beasts, will be doing the second one before we leave on our trip. Made a huge diference on the first bike by putting on the upgraded carb!!!
Thanks again!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #10

LOL, I don't quite drive it like I stole it yet.... I need to drive another 8.5 hours and then it will be broken in. At that point I may ride it like I stole it, lots more fun!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #11

I take it that turnerburner94 is the son of Turnburn99; am I right?

One of the other members bought a new quad, and it sounds like he has a 530 chain. Hopefully he'll be able to provide some specs that would allow us to upgrade.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #12

Yup, I am turnburn99's son, he recommended I join the site so I did last winter, I have owned four of these, two of them as parts, it would seem as though I do drive too hard for the chain.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerburner94
Yup, I am turnburn99's son, he recommended I join the site so I did last winter, I have owned four of these, two of them as parts, it would seem as though I do drive too hard for the chain.
Ride Hard, but ride Safe! 8)