Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #1

Gio 250 bike keeps dying once hot! need help

Hi I bought a new gio 250 dirt bike that runs great starts great until it gets hot after about a half hour of riding it just dyies down and quits and is a pain to start once it cools down it works fine. anybody have any ideas or has ran into a similar issue with these bikes please let me know asap. thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #2

Hi,

Not any experience with the 250 cc dirt bikes personally, but I know my Gio quads will do this and it is usually a choke related issue. Have you tried adjusting your choke when hot to see if it is better?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Hi,

Not any experience with the 250 cc dirt bikes personally, but I know my Gio quads will do this and it is usually a choke related issue. Have you tried adjusting your choke when hot to see if it is better?
Agreed. Make sure that the choke actually opens fully when you choose that selection.

All four strokes are a pain to start when hot; that's why new Yamaha WR250 bikes come with a lean-out lever. If your bike is just dying on its own, I'd look for a heat related problem. My first guess is that you're running the stock plug. If so, trash it and buy a new NGK.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Hi,

Agreed. Make sure that the choke actually opens fully when you choose that selection.

All four strokes are a pain to start when hot; that's why new Yamaha WR250 bikes come with a lean-out lever. If your bike is just dying on its own, I'd look for a heat related problem. My first guess is that you're running the stock plug. If so, trash it and buy a new NGK.
Is that what the little lever above the clutch is on my YZ? I did read I was supposed to pull it in when hot starting, just didn't know the correct term for it. It is helpful.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #5

..also if not choke, would a faster idle setting in the carb keep it running better when hot?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #6

Quote:
That's a bit of a sweeping statement, in 30 years of riding motorcycles I've never had a bad hot starting 4 stroke, that includes everything from 90 to 1150cc. 2 strokes on the other hand are a different kettle of fish!
I agree if it's still got the stock plug and cap throw them away and fit NGK. The symptoms could also be a failing coil or CDI.

Jonathan.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #7

Hi guys I dont think it has anything to do with the choke because if you put the choke on hot it will actually start easier than with out its almost like a lean condition. but it just dying is what confuses me. I re routed the fuel lines thinking it was cuasing a air lock or fuel shortage.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #8

Are you sure the tank is venting? Try loosening the gas cap.

Allen

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner
Quote:
That's a bit of a sweeping statement, in 30 years of riding motorcycles I've never had a bad hot starting 4 stroke, that includes everything from 90 to 1150cc. 2 strokes on the other hand are a different kettle of fish!
I agree if it's still got the stock plug and cap throw them away and fit NGK. The symptoms could also be a failing coil or CDI.

Jonathan.
Perhaps it's fair to say that we ride in dissimilar environments (and I'm referencing dirt riding specifically). When you take a four stroke up to 3000-4000 feet, they have a hard time because of the low air pressure. They'll start ok when cold (because they're already a bit rich), but starting again after aggressive riding while hot is difficult, since it is as if the choke is partially closed. The lean-out lever that TurboT has on his YZ allows a boost of air to overcome a rich condition and the bike fires right up. Once running, they'll perform nicely; it's only hot starting that is an issue. Certainly, carbs can be re-jetted to overcome the elevation, but then the carb is too lean at sea level. Although the manual for my XR says that the stock jetting is suitable for 0-4000 feet, there is no ideal setup (with a carb) that provides easy hot starting at both extremes.

Funny enough, my old cranky PE175 starts with half a kick when hot in the mountains. It's likely too lean, but I'm leaving it alone. It already kills mosquitoes for miles.

Sorry for the digression saskguy. Are you running the stock plug?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner

Jonathan.
I would look at electrical too, ensure these pieces are heat-shielded in some way (Chinese manuf. don't always worry about those types of things!)...a little trick is to take one of those air cannisters used for dusting and when this problem happens try and blow air on it to cool the cdi box and other electrical components down (I've done this with a faulty relay in a Honda car).

Cheers,
R.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #11

Any idea what the NGK plug number is for the 2010 gio 250 4 stroke engine?

Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockd2006
Any idea what the NGK plug number is for the 2010 gio 250 4 stroke engine?
D8EA is what came in mine.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #13

Re: Gio 250 bike keeps dying once hot! need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskguy
Hi I bought a new gio 250 dirt bike that runs great starts great until it gets hot after about a half hour of riding it just dyies down and quits and is a pain to start once it cools down it works fine. anybody have any ideas or has ran into a similar issue with these bikes please let me know asap. thanks
Have you checked your spark plug to make sure you are not running too lean ?.