Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #1

still no spark

Where is the best place to buy parts? Looking for 1 solenoid, 1 CDI, 1 rectifier, 1 coil...

Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #2

I think if you need that stuff Gio direct would be your answer.

You can't find any wires pushed out of their connector plugs or a frayed wire anywhere?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #3

Looking for 1 solenoid, 1 CDI, 1 rectifier, 1 coil...

Maybe head on over to Cdn Tire (or Princess Auto) and get a multimeter first?

For spark you only need voltage out of the stator, a trigger signal for the CDI, a CDI, and a coil. You measure the voltage and trigger signal (usually AC volts) at the CDI, check the resistances of the coil, and when all else is ok, replace the CDI.

The rectifier/regulator is only used to power the lights and charge the battery. The solenoid is only used to "tickle" the starter motor.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #4

crhunter, didn't you say in a previous post that you ordered the ignition bundle from Gio? BTW, this post topic would be better in the ATV section.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
I think if you need that stuff Gio direct would be your answer.

You can't find any wires pushed out of their connector plugs or a frayed wire anywhere?
I talked to John today and he is going to send me that bundle deal, coil, cdi rectifier etc and that broken tailight for $50 all included taxes and shipping. You guys were right he is good to deal with.

I pulled off the plastic body and check all the wires and connections. Everything looks fine.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Looking for 1 solenoid, 1 CDI, 1 rectifier, 1 coil...

Maybe head on over to Cdn Tire (or Princess Auto) and get a multimeter first?

For spark you only need voltage out of the stator, a trigger signal for the CDI, a CDI, and a coil. You measure the voltage and trigger signal (usually AC volts) at the CDI, check the resistances of the coil, and when all else is ok, replace the CDI.

The rectifier/regulator is only used to power the lights and charge the battery. The solenoid is only used to "tickle" the starter motor.
Okay that makes sense. I should pick up a multimeter, thet are good to have. I will start with the CDI if that's not it then the solenoid would be next I guess...

Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
crhunter, didn't you say in a previous post that you ordered the ignition bundle from Gio? BTW, this post topic would be better in the ATV section.

Cheers!
I was going to and then John got to me, he combined the shipping for the taillight and ignition bundle together. BTW I pm a moderator and asked him to move this post. Thanks, not sure why I posted here...

Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #8

I will start with the CDI if that's not it then the solenoid would be next I guess...

Probably the first place I would look is the kill switch (and wiring) and/or a dead man device (and wiring), if so equipped.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #9

X2. The solenoid is only a big switch that is capable of activating the starter; you activate the solenoid by a small switch (same principle as a relay).

I recommend that after confirming that switches and so forth are ok, you replace one item at a time until you have success. In other words, if you throw a CDI, rectifier, spark plug and solenoid on all at the same time, you won't know what fixed it. You and the rest of the forum will benefit.

Princess Auto has a decent small multimeter for around $10.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Probably the first place I would look is the kill switch (and wiring) and/or a dead man device (and wiring), if so equipped.
Thanks there are 2 kill switches I believe. One near the starter and a tether switch at the back.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
X2. The solenoid is only a big switch that is capable of activating the starter; you activate the solenoid by a small switch (same principle as a relay).

I recommend that after confirming that switches and so forth are ok, you replace one item at a time until you have success. In other words, if you throw a CDI, rectifier, spark plug and solenoid on all at the same time, you won't know what fixed it. You and the rest of the forum will benefit.

Princess Auto has a decent small multimeter for around $10.
Process of elimination...to be continued. I'll check out PA, I love that store. I wonder if any of their tires would fit the GIO series?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #12

Got it moved for ya.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhunter
Thanks there are 2 kill switches I believe. One near the starter and a tether switch at the back.
110cc Machines can have up to 4 kill switches:

In addition to the two you listed there is one pole of the two pole ignition switch, and the kill switch built into the remote control module (if you have that installed).

You can test all of them at once after you buy your multimeter. Measure the resistance of the kill switch wire right at the CDI to engine ground. It should read open (infinite resistance). If it reads shorted to ground (zero ohms) then you definately have a kill switch issue. This method also will detect a pinched wire grounding out the kill switch line. Of course to do this test you need to have all the kill switches turned off, and the igntion switch turned to the "run" position.

Here is where to find the kill switch wire on your CDI:

As already mentioned, the Stator output voltages and trigger signal can be measured to see if they work. Do the kill switch checks first, then we can go further if need be.

Caution: There is high voltage coming out of the stator igintion power connection, ignition coil connection, as well as on the kill switch wiring. It ranges from 80 volts cranking to 300 volts running. So be carful where you are poking your fingers when the engine is turning.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #14

Finally got a good charge on the battery and yes I got spark but it still wouldn't start. After testing with the multimeter found the culprit the kill switch at the back! Even with the button depressed with my finger (black rubber cap removed). I remember trying this a couple of days ago. So for fun I disconected the wiring harness to the tether kill switch :idea: and now it will start. However I will have to replace it for my son when he is big enough to ride it...I'll just add it to the spare parts that are on their way.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhunter
Finally got a good charge on the battery and yes I got spark but it still wouldn't start. After testing with the multimeter found the culprit the kill switch at the back! Even with the button depressed with my finger (black rubber cap removed). I remember trying this a couple of days ago. So for fun I disconected the wiring harness to the tether kill switch :idea: and now it will start. However I will have to replace it for my son when he is big enough to ride it...I'll just add it to the spare parts that are on their way.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!
I am glad to hear you found the problem. Those kill switches are a bit of a disaster really.

I think you might find they are not that suitable, as the cord attached to them is so short that when your little guy makes a right turn it will pull the cap off. I tried it with my kids when they first got on and they kept killing it everytime they turned. You could extend the cord I guess if you were nervous.

Seem as you figured out the wiring you could install the remote stop start which would probably allow them to ride without the cord around them, and give you piece of mind you could kill it when needed. I have one here, which I haven't installed and more than likely won't. I could sell it to you for my cost if you want it, and if I remember how much I paid?? :oops: