Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #16

Or..........maybe off to the "funny money store" (Cdn tire) to get a universal tethered kill switch for a snowmobile? (probably the same junk, but worth a try)

LynnEdwards:

Where did you get the pic of the CDI? Are there similar labeled pics for the various voltage rectifiers/regulators too?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Or..........maybe off to the "funny money store" (Cdn tire) to get a universal tethered kill switch for a snowmobile? (probably the same junk, but worth a try)
I had the same switch go bad on my 150cc quad. I bought a new one on eBay for $5.00. It has been working now for a couple of years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
LynnEdwards:

Where did you get the pic of the CDI? Are there similar labeled pics for the various voltage rectifiers/regulators too?
I made the picture using a photo of the CDI adding text with an image editor. There is a similar labeled pic of the 4pin/2pin CDI for 150cc and 250cc machines. I haven't done regulator/rectifier pic's yet, but I do have internal schematics traced out for two different four pin regulators, and two different CDI's. You would think that removing that black epoxy over the electronics would be hard, but it really isn't. It softens up with applied heat and can be broken off in chunks with a screwdriver. All of these are public domain and can be found here:

http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/p...Edwards_photo/

Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #18

Thanks for the link to your images. I like the magnet-triggered speedometer; do you find it to be relatively accurate?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
.. I like the magnet-triggered speedometer; do you find it to be relatively accurate?
The only way I have to test it is to drive by the radar speed measuring station at Carnegie State Vehicle Recreation area. This is one of those portable machines that has a big "Speed Limit 15 MPH" sign and a big display that tells you how fast you are going. According to that my speedometer it is bang on at any speed up to 27 MPH (no ranger in sight, and the park was deserted anyway). I have no reason to believe it would be any less accurate at higher speeds.

Knowing my speed is really nice, but just as good is knowing mileage total, mileage since last oil change, hours on the engine since the last oil change, etc.

The only function that doesn't work is the thermometer. It reads way too high because of conducted/convected heat up from the engine (this was designed for a bicycle which doesn't have this problem). Also, when the temperature gets above 110 degrees F outside the display starts to fade to black (the thermometer function says it is 129 degrees F).

All in all I am very happy with it. I've installed another on my neighbors quad which works just as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #20

Was it an eBay score, or did you buy it locally?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #21

Amazon.com for $14.25 total including shipping.

I had to extend the cable length and use my own mounting scheme.

Yozallo started this idea, then KentuckyDonkey made it controversial. That made me buy one.

For the whole story check out the following thread:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...929&highlight=

Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #22

Thanks for the schematics!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #23

I'm happy the mod worked out. I really like the idea but I often use my gps and I do not really care about my speed as long as I am enjoying riding my atv. :roll:

Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
I'm happy the mod worked out. I really like the idea but I often use my gps and I do not really care about my speed as long as I am enjoying riding my atv. :roll:
I might put one on mine now since I'd like to know how fast my maniac 7 year old is going.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #25

Yeah, I'm intrigued also. I'd like to outfit at least one of our quads with a speedo and a horn. I think that the speedo would help quantify upgrades, and a horn would get my kids' attention as necessary.