Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #16

Spud did you jet the bike at all? Just wondering if necessary with this pipe mod.

Also i have seen a few sierras on here that people have changed out the turn signals to LED ones. What is the source of these signals? Is there much wiring to be done?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #17

a) I've not had the chance to read your PM but the pipe is yours. Want a good dual sport ChinaTire to go with it, also free?

b) I was in a bit of a funk yesterday and did not feel like riding. Took one look at some of your pics, was reminded HOW LUCKY WE ARE TO LIVE IN THE WEST and promptly fired up the bike and headed for the hills. Thanks.

c) Nice work on the pipe. You were smart to buy a bike that is a clone of a currently produced Japanese bike.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #18

Re: YamaZong XT200GY-2 gets an FMF Turbine Core 2 Spark Arre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Also, the Zong now starts even more easily than before. The bike also warms up to operating speed almost immediately, and it idles better. Finally, the bike sounds a bit better. The FMF is slightly louder than the original exhaust system. It is loud enough to help identify my presence in city traffic, but it is not too loud to be objectionable to my neighbors.

The installation was very straightforward. I trimmed about 1-7/8 inches from the midpipe supplied with the FMF, and everything connected together and aligned perfectly. I wish to offer special thanks to forum members DesertRider and Madbare for their good advice and photographs regarding this installation.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Glad you finally got that exhaust on, I noticed a big difference in the bike all around as well, Head pipe looks good.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #19

Is FastDoc thinking of a winter ProjectZong? 8)

Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Wow! Where did you find a price like that? If you don't mind the question...
If your order totals $149, you can purchase the FMF Turbine Core 2 for $101.99, with free shipping, from Temecula Motorsports.

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/e...K_ARRESTOR.htm

You can also purchase the FMF Turbine Core 2 for $103.94 from Oemcycle.com. This vendor offers free shipping if your total order equals $125.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/326/

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler
Spud did you jet the bike at all? Just wondering if necessary with this pipe mod.

Also i have seen a few sierras on here that people have changed out the turn signals to LED ones. What is the source of these signals? Is there much wiring to be done?
No, I have not needed to rejet my carburetor. However, I live and ride at elevations exceeding 4,400 feet above sea level. My bike sounds great, and performs superbly, with the current carburetor jetting. However, I do plan to keep an eye on the spark plug color.

You can get LED turn signals from a variety of sources. The real secret to making this conversion successful is getting a good electronic signal flasher. I use conventional turn signal housings with bayonet base LED bulbs from Super Bright LEDs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

I also purchased my electronic signal flasher from the same vendor. I will soon detail my LED turn signal and indicator light conversion in another thread.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #22

You're the king, Spud! There will be precious little Zong left when you're done (if you're ever done)!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You're the king, Spud! There will be precious little Zong left when you're done (if you're ever done)!
Good point.

Like the old story:

"This is my great-grandfather's axe. My grandfather changed the head, my father changed the handle."

Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #24

thanks spud.. cant wait for that signal conversion tutorial.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #25

Looks good Spud. Finally got my jetting dialed in. Went down to a 122.5 main up here at 9k feet. Took it for some long rides and now runs good. Still a little short on power for the really big hills as that big rear tire likes to get traction. Having a lot of fun with this bike!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #26

I have rejetted my Teikei MV28 carburetor, so I felt I should update this thread. After much experimentation, I have installed a size 125, Mikuni main jet in my carburetor. I ride at elevations from 4,400 feet above sea level, to 9,000 feet above sea level. My bike runs much better since I have installed the smaller, Mikuni main jet.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #27

Your modifications with be the death of me via my wife.

I want a new exhaust now, would that one you put on fit the Lifan gy5? I'm forever getting snickers because of the "pffffft" "pffffft" of my stock exhaust. Granted they are from a totally different crowd, loud Harley riders, but as we all know, stock can always be improved upon.

Then it will be new swingarm, new shock, new..........(fill in the blank)

Old 06-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgram
Your modifications with be the death of me via my wife. ...
Please allow me to state, for the record, it was never my intention to get any man in trouble with SWMBO!
Quote:
...I want a new exhaust now, would that one you put on fit the Lifan gy5? I'm forever getting snickers because of the "pffffft" "pffffft" of my stock exhaust. Granted they are from a totally different crowd, loud Harley riders, but as we all know, stock can always be improved upon.

Yes, you can install an FMF Universal Spark Arrestor on you GY5; however, the GY-5 installation is more difficult than the Zong installation. Forum member 2LZ has installed an FMF TC2 on his Lifanoid bike; he posted an excellent thread detailing his work.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=9674

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #29

year of mods

gainesvillerider wrote:
i have just bought a 06 zongshen 200 and u seam to know a ton of what your talking about but i was wondering on the exhaust and the swing arm what year Yamaha XT225 did they come off of? and thank you a ton for all the helpful information about the bike

Welcome to these forums. If you have time, please post a thread in the Introduce Yourself Forum.

I used a swingarm from a 2007, Yamaha XT225 motorcycle for my Zongshen swingarm conversion. However, I believe the swingarms from every year's model of XT225, or TTR225 are identical.

I used a stainless steel exhaust header from an XT225. Once again, I believe every year's model is identical.

Spud Smile

thank you again for all the info you should be like sponsored by this site i made my account just to ask you questions lol

Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Your modifications with be the death of me via my wife.

I want a new exhaust now, would that one you put on fit the Lifan gy5? I'm forever getting snickers because of the "pffffft" "pffffft" of my stock exhaust. Granted they are from a totally different crowd, loud Harley riders, but as we all know, stock can always be improved upon.

any muffler really would work, as for the full exhaust like muffler and header pipe.. idk about the header pipe.. all i can say is keep an eye out on ebay for used mufflers.. i bought a fmf powercore2 for a 89 cr500 on ebay for 45 bucks shipped, and put it on my 200cc quad. you can try to match up mounting points, but if you know how to weld and have the means too. then odds are you will be doing the install of the muffler sicne you could weld it to the header pipe. so you can always make custom mounts and weld them to the frame to hang the muffler..

just search ebay with the key wods like fmf, hmf, dg, yoshimira (spelling mihgt be off on that one) and you will find a great deal